Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ June Chat

DrewsLou got me to thinking...how much is everyone getting on their first fill? I have found little info on the actual size of bands and how much they hold. My friend had surgery 2 days before me and we both got our first fills today. We both asked the dr how much our bands hold and of course how much the fill was. My friend got the answer of 5cc capacity and a fill of 1.5cc. I got the answer of 12cc capacity and 4cc fill. Either way, we both got our bands filled 1/4-1/3 of the capacity. So, I tried to find why I have a much bigger band and the closest answer I could find was related to my BMI before surgery which was higher than my friend and because I carry my weight around my middle and my friend is evenly distributed all over. Does anyone else have a better answer or know what size their band is?

jcbydesign - I did the same thing when I started the mushy stage. I would be up 2 or 3 pounds then down 3 or 4 pounds. I ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full and tried to make healty food choices but, I did not try to follow the "rules" for bandsters with proper restriction.

I got my first fill a week ago and things are much easier. While I don't notice a big difference in the amount I am able to eat (I had some restriction pre-fill), I stay full much longer.

Hang in there and remember, the first several weeks are about healing, not losing!

marz88 - I have a 10 cm band and I know it can hold more than the 4 cc's a smaller band can hold, but I don't know the actual capacity. I got a 1 cc fill and my doc told me that is a significant fill for this size band.

Forgot to tell you my awesome news I got yesterday when I saw my doc! When I had him do my band our agreement was a set price that included surgery and all that it entailed and 3 months of follow up and fills. After that fills would be $100. Much cheaper than any other doc in my area. Yesterday when I was in he told me he had rethunk that and decided that the most important thing for him was to make sure his patients recieved proper follow up care and fills as needed without creating a financial hardship for them. He decided to charge us just $15 for fills now! He said that will cover the cost of his supplies and that was all he needed! I really feel like he truley cares about his patients and their success. I couldn't be happier with my choice of surgeons!

On another note.... today is my bday... 31! Yikes! I got a great gift when I stepped on the scale and it said 253!!

happy birthday, drewslou---and how cool that your doc decided to lower his fee--the aftercare can be expensive--i have not had a fill yet,not looking forward to cost. HAPPY BIRTHDAY:clap2: :clap2:

Oh My gosh what a day! First off went to curves and worked out. Then at 8:30 AM met with my trainer. First time and first time in a gym! it took a whole lot for me to walk in there! And Jen (Trainer) was late! so I was unsure of what to do.. just stood around like a dummy! my legs have hurt since I met her on Monday an she showed me a few things we would be doing. Any how! she takes me to the elliptical machine and has me go on it for 6 min. 3 min into it my legs began really hurting, she kept telling me you can do it ! then she wanted me to reverse my direction and down I went! to the ground my legs gave completely out! I was so embarrassed and cried! That was my biggest fear! doing some thing like that. So then we move to the back of the gym and do a mat work out on upper body! I was better then.

After my work out I had to hurry home to get ready for a funeral for a father of two beautiful girls I use to care for in Daycare. I have kept in contact with them for the past ten years. They lost their mom to breast cancer at the age of 10 & 4 . They dad had never recovered from losing his brother, and two months later his wife. I found out he was in deep depression. He took his life last Wednesday and left these two girls with no family here. It was so hard to see them knowing they have no one! no parents to turn to! no one to be there on wedding days, birth of children, holidays, ect... I hurt so much for them!

Sorry for rambling! so if you think about it say a prayer for these two beautiful young women they will need all the guidance they can get!

Now off to drink my Water and rest my aching legs....

Oh DeAnn, sounds like a rough day. Tomorrow will be better. :biggrin1: Kudos to you for facing your fears and starting to work with a trainer!!! WTG!!! :P Maybe you could alternate the days with Curves and the gym. Perhaps it was too much on the same day. Now you've got me thinking about a gym. :) I'll have to find out if there is one around here. I started looking at the papers for exercise equipment and garage sales & such.

As you know, I've been praying for those precious little girls. I can only imagine what a burden they are carrying. Keep us posted on how their doing.

Does anyone experience port pain when using the muscles in the area where your port is located? :) Mine is on the left side and I'm in extreme pain if I try to get up from a sitting position from the floor, no problem when on a chair or sofa. It's a burning pain that goes away shortly after I get up. :cry There was a time that I thought I had pulled something this past weekend b/c of using those muscles. I'm almost 4 wks out (will be this Fri) and I'm hoping someone will tell me this will eventually go away. Any thoughts or similar experiences? I've sent an e-mail to the nurse to see what she has to say.

Hey 3Loves,

My port is in the right, but, if I move the wrong way, it ocassionally still hurts. I still avoid the floor when possible since i hate hauling my ass up so I can't tell you if that hurts or not. :phanvan

I have one friend who got her band a year ago who says she still gets pain in her port area if she moves the wrong way or strains those particular muscles.

DeAnn, Hang in there! I am so proud of you! I still do not have the courage to go into a gym. My husband and I are supposed to start in a couple of weeks after he begins treatment for his sleep apnea (he sleeps avg of 14 hrs a day right now). I had several reasons why I got banded, but I will never forget two nights before I first talked to the doctor about it, I went bowling with my family. I used to be a really good bowler before my weight gain so my 250 lb body within my 120 lb mind was doing real well when all of a sudden, I began to lose my footing on the my right foot and, in slow motion, I felt myself fall straight on my right hip! I was mortified listening to the laughter around me. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as I imagined it, but it was the last straw! I can't wait to be able to have the self-confindence to go to the gym. You are my hero!

3Loves ~ During my post-op, I talked to my Dr. about this very thing. The first week of recovery I think I strained the port when I had trouble getting out of the bed. I told my husband, "I think I just hurt myself." Sure enough, my port is now a little lop-sided. Where I continue to feel nuisance discomfort is the muscle tissue (lower left abs) where the tubing to do the surgery entered. Doc said it was still adgitated because of the presence of the band. He said eventually I won't notice it. Now it is a little past 4 weeks and it's only noticable when I'm doing fast walking. I think the port will always hurt when it's strained after the way the Doc explained how its attached to the tissue. Hang in there! It should get better! Talk to your Doc.