Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.

• United States
    • Mexico

No, Mexico doesn't have a medical standards govering body. In the US we do...the joint commission (JACHO). They regulate the sterility and safety of all actions in all US facilities. They drop in unannounced quite frequently to audit the conditions of specific areas in the hospital.....and they are tough.. they have the right to pull a nurse aside and quiz her on the safety standards of the unit and the hospital as a whole. It made me feel better that the hospital that i was "opened up" in was held to such high standards. There is a reason that any surgery is more expensive in the United States.......just keep that in mind.

Also, yes I feel it would be risky to have surgery at a "clinic" however no clinic (no matter how ghetto) would attempt to manage a critically ill pt. And unless you are in the middle of nowhere...there is always a fully equiped hospital nearby.

Anyone can paint a wall, add decorative touches, and clean a hospital until it glows...however when it comes to my life i don't care about the matching chairs in my room...I care that there is proper equipment and proper experience to keep me alive should something go wrong. The surgeon does his part..putting in the band...but sometimes we need the expertise of another doctor...don't forget this when researching. Contact the adult ICU of the mexican hospital and ask to speak to their intensivist. This should be the doctor managing you if things don't go smoothly.

Not meaning to make anyone mad...this is just how I feel........Nora

I wouldn't go to a medical facility in Mexico for a sore throat. When I travel there I bring my own meds, my own antibiotics, and I self medicate.

Would you guys have surgeries in Italy? Or France? Or Australia?

Not if I could avoid it, and certainly not elective surgery. I'd be more comfortable in any of those locations than Mexico, though. I needed some attention once in Switzerland and was very comfortable. I was travelling with a friend who became sick in England and was very unimpressed with their facilities and their capabilities. I was in Canada recently suffering from bronchitis and lived in fear of ending up in a Canadian hospital. It just seems to me there are a whole lot of Canadians trying to cross the border and get into our hospitals.

That being said, there are also some US hospitals that I would never go to!

Some interesting questions/comments...especially since I DID have surgery in Monterrey and I also grew up two blocks from East L.A. (where I'd rather not have surgery, but where USC University Hospital and USC Medical Center happen to be located, so there IS a small chance I'd go there.) LOL!! And I've NOT had surgery in Beverly Hills--really, there are no hospitals of any size or reputation in Beverly Hills--but my "Beverly Hills-adjacent" (that means Cedars-Sinai) plastic surgeon did my boobs at St. John's in Santa Monica...Elizabeth Taylor's and Star Jones' favorite.

Anyway...I had a choice and I had the money. (Don't anymore...spent it all...but anyway...) I went to Monterrey. At that time, there were few US doctors who did the band and of those even fewer with sufficient experience to do MY band. IN FACT, Inamed is doing such a good job of converting surgeons to LapBand Surgeons that there are MANY, MANY MORE surgeons who now lack the experience to do MY band surgery.

I went to the hospital where any US President would be sent if he became ill in the area and to a surgeon who had already placed 1400 bands...not to Joe Bloe's Day Surgery and Bicycle Repair on THIS side of the border to see a US doctor who was about to do his fifth band.

There are too many people who think that ANYTHING this side of the border is automatically superior to anything in any other country. They are wrong. Back in the 1960's, if you had a heart transplant anywhere other than South Africa, you were not only an idiot...you were dead.

I didn't know about the Tijuana LapBand surgery problems being picked up at the border, but that's why I went to a real, full-service, state-of-the-art teaching hospital in the third largest city in Mexico. You just never know when you might need a hospital to have that kind of capability.

Editing to add---> gadgetlady...when Quebbeman did bands at Hoag, I might have gone there...but Huntington Beach Hospital? You'd pick THAT ahead of a major hospital in Monterrey? To each his own, but there is just NO comparison...at all.

Editing AGAIN to add a link to info on what Yale has to say about one of the hospitals in Monterrey:

San Jose Hospital, Tecnologico de Monterrey

Hospital San José Tec de Monterrey is a private non-profit hospital that has been offering health services since 1969. During the past 36 years it has been a leader in several medical procedures (such as multi-organ transplants), always supported by its Medical Staff, and now it is considered as one of the best high tech specialty hospitals in Latin America. The hospital works cooperatively with the Medicine School of Tec de Monterrey to promote medical talent through programs for residents.

http://www.yale.edu/career/students/intern/mexico_companies.html#hosp

gadgetlady...when Quebbeman did bands at Hoag, I might have gone there...but Huntington Beach Hospital? You'd pick THAT ahead of a major hospital in Monterrey? To each his own, but there is just NO comparison...at all.

Yes, Hoag is my preferred hospital. I didn't have the surgery at Huntington Beach, but rather South Coast Medical in Laguna. My preference, again, is always Hoag. And yes, I would pick that over a major hospital in Monterrey any day.

I think it is really just a matter of what you are comfortable with. If you do not believe that a major hospital in Mexico will suffice, no matter what their abilities, past experiences, accolades and whatnot, then you have made your decision. I kind of have this feeling with the surgeons here in america. I am sorry, but there is NO ONE in this country that I would want to have place my band. Doesn't matter what hospital they practice out of, or how long they have been a doctor. I want the surgeon who has done more than any of the surgeons in America. That would be Dr. Sanchez. He has done over 5000 bands of various sizes, and was one of the first surgeons to offer it. He has taught others how to do it that are now practicing here in the US. I feel more comfortable having my band placed my the teacher, not the student. Does that mean I think y'all are crazy for having it done in the US? Sure as hell bet I do!! LOL Joking. Of course I don't! It is all a matter of personal preference. I think we just need to keep that in mind when speaking to each other about this. Now of course, there are bad doctors in Mexico. Just like in Japan, Australia, South Africa, Germany and the US. You will find bad clinics and doctors out to just make a buck anywhere. The key to this is to research your choice HEAVILY!!! You should be 100% sure of your surgeon on the day of your surgery. I cringe when I see people come nto the board one day asking for details about the band, announcing the next week they are approved by insurance, and then the next week they are banded. They are usually the ones that come here searching for the information on what to eat and when, and not understanding why they havne't dropped 20 pounds in the first week before even getting filled. Research is key. And is paramount to your choice of surgeon.

Yes, Hoag is my preferred hospital. I didn't have the surgery at Huntington Beach, but rather South Coast Medical in Laguna. My preference, again, is always Hoag. And yes, I would pick that over a major hospital in Monterrey any day.

I had a family member who was the director of UNESCO for Latin America and the Caribbean. I checked out my hospital. REALLY checked out my hospital. (I'm not familiar with South Coast Medical.)

Now of course, there are bad doctors in Mexico. Just like in Japan, Australia, South Africa, Germany and the US. You will find bad clinics and doctors out to just make a buck anywhere. The key to this is to research your choice HEAVILY!!! You should be 100% sure of your surgeon on the day of your surgery.

Amy, I couldn't agree with you more. Being in the US does not guarantee a good surgeon or a good result. I was amazed when my doctor was telling the story of his first laporoscopic surgery, about how this woman trusted him enough to be his first. I kept thinking, "I don't care how much I like you or I trust you, I would NEVER be your guinea pig!" If he hadn't had the experience I wouldn't have gone under his knife.

GeezerSue, I'm glad you had the resources to check out the hospital. Unfortunately, many people don't have those resources and/or wouldn't know what to check on even if they did. Those are the people that run the highest risk -- in the US, Mexico, or anywhere else.

nursenora - I just read about your deal with the clinics in TJ and american hospitals to transport emrgency americans across in case of a problem. I think you have been in a situation that has colored your judgement, but it is a situation that is not the norm. TJ, while it may have a few good clinics and docs, is mainly full of a lot of fly by night clinics that prey on americans. We know this from the various stories and surveys and posts. There are a lot of creepy docs out there, and they like to settle in border towns to make a quick buck. We have heard from people like Delarla say that some of the clinics there reuse needles, don't wear gloves, don't check ID, just take your money and perform the surgery. It is a scary thing. But that does not make it the norm. And the worst case senarios are going to stand out in your mind because of how tough and sad they are. When I lived in seattle we would hear about the same thing coming out of border towns in canada. But it jsut does not mean that it is the norm for that country. I have travelled a lot over this earth. I have been to some places that I would NEVER have even have a cold looked at. and I have been to places that I would be glad to give birth in. Sometimes in the same country. It just means that you have to do your research.

In Mexico, a lot of the surgeons cost the same for their all inclusive package. So cost is not an issue any longer. People just really need to make sure they research who they are going to have their band done by.

"I was in Canada recently suffering from bronchitis and lived in fear of ending up in a Canadian hospital. It just seems to me there are a whole lot of Canadians trying to cross the border and get into our hospitals."

Kind of a blanket assumption don't ya think? The lapband surgery is relatively new in Canada. Toronto has a major center that does this surgery but other than that and a few scattered doctors, our choices up here for this surgery seem limited. I did research a group of doctors here in Calgary who will be preforming the surgery. In the beginning it will be covered by our medical, and while that is a huge plus....the inexperience can make one a little nervous. There is currently a waiting list long enough that I would be looking at almost a year long wait. I can't emotionally handle waiting that long. The doctor that will be doing my fills encouraged my trip to Mexico but also wished that he could offer me other options. Ultimately I was left with Mexico or Toronto. Toronto came in about 6,000 more expensive but if Toronto was closer to me I would have went there. Both places are a 700.00 flight away so with complications I will still have to rely on my doctors here. I decided on Mexico because of their high level of experience and got a lot of first hand info from people who went to Dr. Kuri. But I also read information about people who had negative experiences with him. I think that in the end the best you can do is research your choices and be optimistic that you've made the right choice.

PS- Just my two cents worth but from what I read...Canucks aren't rushing to cross the border and get into your hospitals, seems to me they are simply crossing the borders and passing through your beautiful country to get to Mexico.

Lanie

The surgeon does his part..putting in the band...but sometimes we need the expertise of another doctor...don't forget this when researching. Contact the adult ICU of the mexican hospital and ask to speak to their intensivist. This should be the doctor managing you if things don't go smoothly.

What I find ironic with this is that VERY few people would bother to check up on a US facility to this extent. We *assume* that the hospital is good, but unfortunately, even WITH JACHO accreditation, there are poor hospitals in the US.

Obviously, everyone has the right to choose where they have surgery. What bothers me is the pervasive discrimination that sometimes exist against Mexico and other countries. There are bad surgeons and bad hospitals NO MATTER what country you're in...believing that an entire medical system is bad just because it's in another country just shows a lack of education and a narrow-mindedness that is (in my opinion) very sad.

Cindy

Thank you very much for saying what needed to be said and saying it in the perfect knowledable form.

Sherri

"I was in Canada recently suffering from bronchitis and lived in fear of ending up in a Canadian hospital. It just seems to me there are a whole lot of Canadians trying to cross the border and get into our hospitals."

Kind of a blanket assumption don't ya think? The lapband surgery is relatively new in Canada.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I didn't mean for lapband surgery. I just meant for various surgeries and treatments in general. I believe it's particularly true with elective surgeries, but even with non-elective surgeries the waiting list is very long. And I was specifically referring to my bronchitis, not anything to do with lapband. I should have made it more clear. My apologies.

My two cents on the Canada vs. U.S. debate... a study was just recently concluded by Harvard on the subject, thought we all might be interested. :) Best wishes...

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/122/114956

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=513741

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060530/canada_us_healthcare_060530/20060530?hub=TopStories