Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.

• United States
    • Mexico

I know that some people use the possibility of surgical complications as a reason to have surgery in the US, but for me, it was just the opposite. As a self pay patient, IF there had been complications during my surgery, I would have been responsible for any additional charges incurred. I know that those types of charges (OR fees, hospital stay, surgeon's fees, anethesiology fees, lab fees, etc) can easily climb into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our fees in the US are many, many times more than those in Mexico.

So I opted for Mexico. I used Dr. Rumbaut, so I had every confidence in his abilities. The hospital was the San Jose Teaching hospital. It's a full facility hospital easily capable of handling any emergency situation. But at least I knew that, IF any complications occurred, I would more easily be able to pay for any additional charges while in Mexico. The same can't be said for the US...complications in the US could easily have bankrupted me. :

Of course, I didn't have any problems ;) and I'd make the same decision all over again.

This was an easy decision for me to make.....I had my surgery in the US

I am an ICU RN and worked for the past year at a major trauma center in San Diego. We had an unspoken pact with the US - Mexico (TJ) border that if a hospital in TJ had a pt they couldn't care for anymore (A US citizen)...because they were too sick...then they could put them into an ambulance, drive to the border, call 911 and we would send our ambulance to pick them up. The majority of these pts were people who went to mexico for the band, rny, or plastic surgery and had really bad complications. By the time we got a lot of these people they were in pretty bad shape with problems that could have been completely avoided had they been somewhere with a proper ICU and intensivists. Now I know that the surgeons in Mexico have been doing the band longer than US docs. However, it can in some cases turn into more than just the band. There are so many risks to surgery that would need physicians of other specialities to manage...not just a bariatric surgeon. I know most of the time things go smoothly....and that in my profession I see the worst of the worst....I"m just not a gambling soul. Many people on this site claim that the hospitals in mexico were much nicer than the ones here...however its not just asthestics...one thing to find out is if you were to become septic after surgery and your kidneys failed would they have a CVVH machine to filter your blood....most hospitals down there don't and one of the major risks of surgery is sepsis. I just recommend everyone do their research. These are my 2 cents....not meant to freak anyone out.

Nora

Nora, I think that you have a point for surgery *anywhere*...whether it's the US or Mexico. I wouldn't go to a "clinic." For me, any surgery that uses general anesthesia is a "major" surgery with the potential for problems. I wanted to be in a hospital with an ICU.

What I hate is when people discriminate against all Mexican hospitals and surgeons (not saying that you're doing this!). We occasionally hear about people having plastic surgery in a US "clinic" or doctor's office with some horrible results. Anyone can be a quack, have poor facilities, etc. Whether it's Mexico or the US, you have to do your research!

I can't wait to get to mexico for my apron surgery!! And then my lap band after that. I am using them as vacations LOL A chance to get away to a beautiful country without the kids, and some time to just DH and I.

I live in Cancun and had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. I give the doc and his staff 2 thumbs up!!! I was banded May 16th and now back to my normal life. I go back for my 1st fill in July, and hope it just helps taking off the pounds. I have lived in Mexico for 2 years and I understand alot of people's views about "Mexico". Just research their credentials and like Dr. Ortiz, is a teacher of lap banding, not a student. I also heard that the care in Monterrey is fantastic too. Good luck..

Shux, I wouldn't mind living in Monterrey to be honest with you. People there are soo unbelieveable and the facilities???? Gosh! May I say.."Spotless"

I have to say that the facilities in Monterrey were superb. Our local hospital can't even compete. In fact, the largest hospitals in Oklahoma are crummy compared to the hospital in Monterrey. I judge hospitals not only on cleanliness, and you could eat off the floors in Monterry, but in the nurses. Any time I pushed the call button, the nurse was there within 5 minutes max. Usually my call was immediately answered. I learned to say "Pain" in Spanish (dolor) and my nurse took care of that immediately. The hospital was like a 5 star hotel. I've stayed in lots of big name hotels and none were as nice as that hospital. Also the Mexicans are super nice and Monterrey is one of the cleanest places I've ever been. I'd recommend learning a couple of words of Spanish like dolor, agua, gracias, etc. I'm considering visiting Monterry just for fun sometime. I highly recommend Mexico and particularly Dr. Arturo Rodriquez.

For people with co-morbities and pre-existing conditions, I think it would be wise to have the surgery performed in the United States. The decision is personal and needs to be based on MANY factors that includes, but is not limited to, fees. Yes, that's the RN in me talking. :-)

Lord, I've had open heart surgery and had type II diabetes in addition to a host of other problems. (I'm old.) My surgeon in Monterrey covered me on all of this and I had no problems. I don't necessarily recommend surgeons in the U.S. because they don't have the experience foreign surgeons have. I did beautifully and was covered on the heart problem because I went to the big hospital in Monterrey where they had heart surgeons and cardiologists available. In fact, I have dropped one of my heart medications and feel a lot better since I did so. My GP told me I could not go to Mexico but my surgeon said I could. He didn't see a problem and I didn't have a problem. Monterrey is the business capital of Mexico and so it caters to businessmen. It is modern and upscale. We had a very good experience there. It really gets on my nerves that people assume that American doctors are the best in the world. They aren't. There are good doctors in every country and bad ones. Since American insurance often won't pay for bariatric surgery, we have to go to foreign countries to be treated. That's a crime. But I can't fault Dr. Rodriguez and his staff. I highly recommend him and Santa Engracias hospital. I'd like to check in there for a vacation.

I was just banded June 2nd by Dr. Ortiz. I am extremely sore but do not seem to be bothered by gas too much. :hurt Everything else is fine though. We will see how the next few days go.

Good luck to all the future bandsters.

Thank you all for your help and I've decided to go to Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey. I liked him and Dr. Ortiz but everyone said the hospital was a little bigger in Monterrey.

Thanks for your help,

Be banded July 21,

Sherri

It seems to "politically correct" to be very careful and not say anything negative about Mexico or Mexican hospitals on LBT. I have noticed that if anyone even hints that a Mexican facility or doctor may be the best choice for someone who lives in the US they are kind of jumped on.

However, that said. This is a poll and everyone is allowed to give their opinions. NurseNora-thank you.

My opinion is that anyone on this board who lives in the US, has had any surgeries in Mexico and have had smooth sailing are extremely lucky individuals. May God bless you. However, I think it is an unwise decision to have life altering surgery in a foreign country particulary a country who is almost 3rd world. The possible land mines of problems are amazing. I understand cost facture -absolutely. I would not be able to afford the band if my insurance did not pay. But I equally could not afford the band if I had to pay for it in Mexico-lucky you that you have access to 7-10k in a bulk sum. I would simply would not get the band. I would fight my insurance company and work within the system the best I could (or possible help change the system if nec.)

The cost facture aside. you talk about the expertise of the Mexican doctors, that they have done so many more lap band surgeries than some US docs. I am sure that is true as the band is new here. That is why I chose NEMC over a more local hospital -over 1500 lapband v.s. a few hundred- of course I choose the more experienced. But experience based on what? The sheer numbers do not guarentee the surgeries are being done correctly. My US doc has experience based on schooling, organizations and yes, our govt. The term Board Certified is not just a title in name only. "A board-certified physician is one that has successfully completed an educational program and evaluation process approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties, including an examination designed to assess the knowledge, skills and experience required to provide quality patient care in a specific specialty." Who is holding the Mexican docs responsible? Their govt. Their own people suffer from substandard medical care. We send "Doctors without Borders" from the US to help them. I am happy your Mexican facility was "spotless" and "beautiful". How about the countryside, the cities, the sanitation? The last time I was in Mexico I had a lovely vacation. But I drove through cities made of boxes, sewage matter in the streets and never dared drink the Water or eat fruit with the skin still on. The basic poverty structure of life there has to slip over into any facility.

You say you could get complications anywhere. Absolutely-but then what? These obesity centers don't seem (some may be, I am sure but not all) to be attached to a major hospital. What if you needed blood? Were you satisfied the blood supply had been tested for AIDS? Hepatitis?

What if you had a heart attack or a stroke? Would they have access to the latest medicines, machines or a board certified cardiologist? Yes, bitterOldHag, I see from your post that your facility did have these on-hand. I am glad for that for you. Does Mexico have any stringent rules or governing system that checks on sterile instrument, rooms, the usage of gloves, the careful disposal of bodily fluids? Maybe they do. Maybe it was part of your research and that would be great...if it is true.

So go ahead and flame me. I expect it. I am not being politically correct. I am being completely honest when I say God bless each and everyone of you who had your surgery in Mexico. I am glad and thankful you are fine and thriving. I am glad you saved some money. But more than anything else- I am thankful nobody had to save your life.

That line but if you saved SOME money, to be completely honest that really ticked me off. Let me give you a little info you don't have.

I pay Anthem BCBS, almost 700.00 dollars per month for me and my husband. Let's see, that's 8000.00 a year. Wow, that would pay for this surgery but let's go a little further. I called them and they said, "We probably won't pay for this BUT if we id pay SOME you will need to have preop done yourself, 4000.00 and then see a dietician for 6 months but if you loose over 6 pounds then you won't qualify for sure you'll be under the 40BMI. Boy, that really sucks. I've done been dealing with them for 2 months, guess where I'm at, not ONE STEP FURTHER THAN I WAS 2 MONTHS AGO.

Yep, that's the United States for you or they'll do the same surgery here for 26,000.00. Boy, It doesn't take much intelligence to let you know what our doctors and insurance companies are after now does it.

Just thought I let you know it's not to SAVE some money. I was going to take 10,000.00 out of our savings account but I don't have 26,000.00 there handy to use for the same thing.

I too am a L.P.N. nurse so I do know a little bit.

Thanks,

Sherri

Dear Sherri,

I apologize for the word "some". I should have written "I am glad you saved money". Because i am.

Best of love and luck with your surgery.

Sherri Congratz on getting your date set up!! I will be a Sanchez patient as well, and am looking forward to it all!!

Diva I do understand your conserns. There are a lot of scary factors that go into surgery in foreign countries. I personally agree that i would not have this surgery at a weight loss clinic, but would prefer to have it done in a hospital. But what about the surgery clinics that do the surgeries here in the united states? Is that not the same situation? And the doctor that Sherri and I and many others have chosen does his surgery in an actually hospital, with some of the most cutting edge technology out there. Stuff that is being used in the whole planet EXCEPT for the US because of the FDA and medical regulations. It is an American owned hospital. It is cleaner than any hospital you can imagine here in the US. And yes, there are dirty cities in Mexico. More so than in the US. But that does not mean there are not really rich and wealthy and nice places too. Just like here in the US. I always bring up the idea of...Would you have your surgery in a strip mall weight loss centre in East LA? No? Its the united states. Its just one of the poorer towns in the United states. Would you have a problem having your surgery in Beverly Hills? Monterrey is one of the riches and wealthiest towns in Mexico. Akin to Beverly Hills. Of course I feel comfortable having my surgery there!! Besides. I have done close to 9 months of research on this, and my doctor, and the hospital I will have this surgery in.

I understand the hesitancy. But before you look down on the decision, take a closer look at the choices that are being made. You yourself said that you didn't know all of the details.

Hugs everyone :P

Thanks Amy,

I absolutely agree about clinics vs hospitals in Mexico or the US. Anyone having surgery in the US needs to research the actual individual doctor and the hospital too.

Because it is my opinion does not mean I am looking "down" on it-I disagree with the choice due to worry and concern. But I respect your research and doing what is best for you.

Best of luck with all your surgery. And say hi to Tampa for me, I went to school at USF.