Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.

• United States
    • Mexico

So, I had a patient of a Dr. in TJ tell me that when I go, make sure to bring one's to TIP the nurses, etc....

Did anyone else do this???

First of all, it wasn't a sales pitch. And if you had read both posts correctly... the $2100 was actually $21,000. USD that the party above had quoted that they paid somewhere in the states. If you have enough knowledge of the internet to pull up a website.... please go to Dr. Joya's website at www.drjoya.com

you will see that he has done well over 6,000 procedures. He uses 2 hospitals here and they are both state of the art. The surgery packages that he is currently offering are about $8,000.usd for lapband .

Why so low... well currently the peso is holding between 13 and 15 to 1 USD. So everything seems to be on sale for us that live here full time.

Wow sooo defensive. What is in it for you??

You tell me if I had enough knowledge.... funny I have enough knowledge to hear a sales pitch when I hear one. I had a great experience in Mexico but I wasn’t trying to push it off on people like you do.

Like I said above.... it is important to investigate the doctor.

There is a whole thing on main page about people like this person trying to get a quick buck with a cheesy sales pitch and a website to promote sales.

So, I had a patient of a Dr. in TJ tell me that when I go, make sure to bring one's to TIP the nurses, etc....

I had my surgery in Mexico and was never told this and I didn’t give any tip. I was told to bring cashier’s check for the balance of the surgery and not to bring too much cash with me. They were saying it is for safety reasons.

I am not sure why you would need to tip the nurses. I am not sure why they are asking for tips. But I guess that is up to you. Good Luck!

That is absolutely NOT necessary. They are paid by the hospital. I did tip hotel bellmen, drivers, etc. But not the nurses.

First of all, it wasn't a sales pitch. And if you had read both posts correctly... the $2100 was actually $21,000. USD that the party above had quoted that they paid somewhere in the states. If you have enough knowledge of the internet to pull up a website.... please go to Dr. Joya's website at www.drjoya.com

you will see that he has done well over 6,000 procedures. He uses 2 hospitals here and they are both state of the art. The surgery packages that he is currently offering are about $8,000.usd for lapband .

Why so low... well currently the peso is holding between 13 and 15 to 1 USD. So everything seems to be on sale for us that live here full time.

You have to admit, your first post here is advertising a doctor. Not introducing yourself, telling us a bit about yourself, asking questions, giving advice... It does look kinda weird.

Does Dr. Joya still have the "complication" fund going? The other doctors that work out of hospitals absorb the complication costs. It's the clinic doctors that don't cover complications should you need to go to a hospital. Clinic doctors and Joya.

There is a person on another board that went to Joya and during surgery he accidentally cut her liver. He wouldn't let the patient leave the hospital until she came up with $1200 to fix her liver. The liver issues isn't necessarily a reflection on the doctor, that is a risk with surgery. But he didn't tell her until the day she was to be discharged that he was charging her $1200 for fixing the liver issue. She didn't have a spare $1200 on her. He wouldn't take a wire transfer, wouldn't take WU, wouldn't take a check, finally her mother gave a credit card number to cover the cost.

Joya is a good doctor but he does not absorb complications as other "hospital" doctors do. The complication fund... he charges $500 per person if they want to participate. He claims there are only 1 in 100 patients with complications. My math tells me that is $50,000 in his pocket per complication. The OH person had a $1200 complication, that would have left a tidy profit of $48,800 had this program been available to Lisa, the liver person.

Stephleon and WasaBubbleButt

Wow! I thought this forum was to share information and be positive! I did not expect to get kicked in the teeth

for just replying with MOI on Us vs Mx for surgery!

Since I live here in PVR I thought perhaps I could be a good resource for people contemplating lapband.

However, you have showed me that this is not the case.

I will unsubscribe to this as I choose to input only positive engergy! Bueno Suerte to you all!

Stephleon and WasaBubbleButt

Wow! I thought this forum was to share information and be positive! I did not expect to get kicked in the teeth

for just replying with MOI on Us vs Mx for surgery!

Since I live here in PVR I thought perhaps I could be a good resource for people contemplating lapband.

However, you have showed me that this is not the case.

I will unsubscribe to this as I choose to input only positive engergy! Bueno Suerte to you all!

It’s Buena Suerte (not bueno). So that makes me wonder even more.

This is a positive place to help and give opinions…. Not to give sales pitches. This is the first time I have ever had anything negative to say on here. But the way you are doing things make me question your true intention.

I had mine done at a teaching hospital by one of the founders of their bariatric surgery department (I was able to request no students operate or anesthetize me). They had everything I needed: doctors to supervise my pre-approval diet, a nutritionist for both pre and post Band needs, everything. And because they are a "Center of Excellence" under my insurance, the surgery and all that entails (including overnight in the hospital and morning x-rays) as well as 3 months of visits and fills cost me $100. Fills now cost me $20, are done by my surgeon, and I only have to drive about half an hour. So, the States it is for me. But you have to pick someone you are comfortable with. Regardless of how much safer LB is that some surgeries, you are still putting your life in the hands of that doctor and anesthesiologist.

any one been banded by Dr Zapata in monterrey,mx lately and what did you think