Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd be interested to know how many of us still experience REAL hunger?

There's much talk about the hormone ghrelin reducing hunger after surgery. I am possibly unlucky in that I still do experience hunger and have done from about three days after surgery. :eek:

I'm talking real hunger here not head hunger, which I also have rather a lot.:thumbup:

I'd be interested to know how many of us still experience REAL hunger?

regards

Sandra x:biggrin2:

At almost 11 months post-op, I still never experience true hunger. My stomach never growls, I've actually gone 12 hours without eating because I completely forgot to eat. So, for me, I have to remind myself to eat.

Now, I can say that when I am more active, be it working out more, or out with my family/friends, I do get a feeling that my body needs fuel. I don't get hungry in my stomach, but my body tells me it needs food.

This is one of the main reasons I won't go off of my acid reducer because so many patients that go off of their PPI mention a false hunger feeling even after eating a meal.

Sandra,

I have to say I have hunger at times and I am 4.5 months out. I recently had an episode of hugh hunger after I started on VitB12 complex. By three days out my stomach was always hungry and I could eat so much more. So I stopped that, but yes I have had hunger where I had to put something on my stomach. Some of that would be acid I know but still have to eat something and try for Protein but if out I grab something quick with more carbs than I'd like.

Yup, true hunger here. . . I'm about 4 months out and have true stomach hunger. . I have learned the difference between head and tummy hunger and it's real tummy hunger. . . but i've also learned to ignore it. . . this part is kinda stupid, but I like the tummy hunger pangs, shows the I'M in control now and not my tummy. . .Yeah I know, power and control freak, . . but that's me! hehehe

Hi Sandra,

For me the hunger is sooooo much different than before surgery. One thing for sure, I don't DARE stop my acid reducer (Nexium) because I am still producing tons of acid and it makes me feel like ripping a chunk out of my computer monitor and eating it! Sometimes I even take a half dose in the late afternoon if I'm feeling "hunger". Other than acid hunger, it's gotten much, much better. The only real hunger I feel is head hunger and I sure know the difference and try to tell myself to just knock it off. On the rare occasion that I think I am truly, physically hungry, I can ignore it if need be unlike in the past. How far out are you? Good luck, it does get better.

I'm hungry in my stomach. Doesn't feel a lot different than before surgery to me. Like right now my stomach is empty, I feel it, and I want to eat. I don't want sweets or bad things as much, but still those cravings are there. But a little bit satisfies me.

Thank you for all your great responses. I'm only 12 weeks out from surgery and even when I make sure I have taken my double dose acid reducers I still get hungry, 4 or 5 hours after my last meal, but it;s true I can ignore it. I'm currently having three tiny meals a day and maybe a Protein Shake.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling hungry, even though it is nothing like the ravenous need to consume I had before surgery. I hope many more people respond here as I'd love to show this thread to my surgeon who practically guaranteed I'd never feel hunger again. lol

Thanks again

Sandra x

I do not experience real hunger. Like Tiffy, my body signals (sometimes) that I need fuel, but not like the hunger I used to have.

I'm three months out and feel hunger all the time, usually 1-2 hours after eating. It seems a little better just the last couple of days though, so maybe it will be getting better. But what a disappointment it has been.

I'm three months out and feel hunger all the time, usually 1-2 hours after eating. It seems a little better just the last couple of days though, so maybe it will be getting better. But what a disappointment it has been.

Are you taking Prevacid/Prilosec? I was like that too. I would be hungry an hour or so after eating a meal. I started on Prevacid and within 3 days those hunger issues went away.

I am like Tiffykins and Mini-me, I do not get hungry. I can skip a meal or two, but I pay dearly for it. I have learned this the hard way. On two seperate occatsions I have been so busy with work I just blew through lunch and dinner. Finally in the evening I slowed down enough to eat a little something. I still wound up getting a massive headache in the middle of the night like I used to get pre-op from being hungry. In the past a big hearty Breakfast would make it go away(carb heavy). Well, flash forward to now and I can't have a big meal. It took me a day and a half to get caught up on my food intake to get rid of those headaches because of the small portions. So, now I make it a point to not skip a meal, it seems silly when I eat so little, but that is how my body is working.

I am so glad that my hunger is gone, I hope it never comes back.

Bill

I do! I'm taking a PPI, but still feel a little bit of hunger about 3-4 hours after eating. It's very mild though, and probably half of what it was at 4-6 weeks out (I'm almost 3 months). Then, it was gnawing and uncomfortable.... now, it's easy to ignore until I can do something about it, or I can just drink Water and put it off for awhile. I love having that control and feeling normal!

You said you get hungry 4-5 hours after a meal. Isn't that normal? I don't get hungry....and I have paid the price for it. On Saturday, I realized that I hadn't eaten in 10 hours and my butt was dragging. I didn't know it, but my daughter and husband said I was acting weird...like I was drunk. YEAH....my blood sugar was probably dropping like a New Years Eve ball !!! I got a Protein shake (even though I still was NOT hungry) and I started feeling a little better....but it took until today to finally get my stamina back.

Before we were sleeved, we ate 4 - 5 hours between meals. I know that my surgeon has told me not to look at the clock and base my meals on time rather than hunger....but if you don't FEEL hungry....what else can I do?

I'm sitting here right now, sipping on my (what was supposed to be noon day meal, but it is 3 p.m.). Once again, I forgot to have my meal, but I don't want to get sick again.

Maybe you should enjoy the fact that you get hungry 4-5 hours out. Stay in good health....good thoughts coming your way.:crying:

Sleeved 4/7/2010

Dr. Chiasson

Total weight loss so far: 32 lbs.

Edited by Lookinupin2010

I wasn't hungry for the first couple of weeks after surgery, then it hit me. I'm on an acid reducer, but still get very hungry. I keep a dense (30gram) Protein Bar at my desk all day and eat a few bites of it in-between meals. I was totally not expecting this, so I'm a bit disappointed.