Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing new foods too fast??

I was bored to death on clear fluids and moved to full fluids as soon as I got home. I really needed more substance to feel better. At one week, I was eating potato Soup, mashed potatoes, yogurt and cottage cheese. At about 10 days I added canned beef stew. I have also had one hard boiled egg, mushed like I was going to make egg salad.

Sometimes my tummy gurgles alot when I add something new. I have had a couple of bites of roast this week and even a very little bit of potato salad yesterday.

Overall, I feel very good. I am missing food terribly, especially when the family is having something I love. However I am loving the scale even more.

I am just a little ahead of the Cornell guidelines but very ahead of the more typical liquid diet. Is there anything wrong with moving forward on foods? Is there anything in particular that could hurt my stomach - meaning the seam or insides? Not just an upset reaction to the food itself?

thanks!

My diet was a little more "progressed" than some of the other diets, but I can share what I did:

• Day 1 -2: Clear Liquids
  • Day 2-7: Full Liquids
  • Day 7-14: Mushies/Purees
  • Day 15-30: Soft Foods (seems like you are somewhat in here, but the roast beef may be a bit advanced if it is stringy.)
  • Day 31+: Regular Foods (chicken, raw veggies, and steak introduced last)

Thanks mini!

I figured the roast beef was pushing it. I did chew it alot and had less than 1/2 ounce. The meat in the canned beef stew is definitely softer so I will probably stick with that when I have a craving for beef.

I had a few bites of chicken breast too. Forgot about that. I am thinking about some white fish next.

I will stay away from anything too rough (like nuts) for now and raw vegies.

thanks again!

My plan is:

Day 1-5 clear liquids

Day 6-15 or 16 full liquids

Day 15 to 24 pureed foods

My NUT is calling me today and I hope she'll advance me to purees by the end of the week. YUM!

We're one day apart on surgery dates.

The biggest concern with advancing early is:

1) You get a true food intolerance and end up puking your guts up causing stress on your healing staple line thus risking a leak just increased

2) Eating something that can lodge in the staple line, and while you feel great now, there is no guarantee that the food particles won't get lodged in there, work their way into an infection thus increasing the risk for a leak.

Believe me, I understand missing food. Nothing, and I mean nothing, Water, ice chips, nothing crossed my lips for 22 days. I was on clears for 17 days once my leak healed and I was off the TPN bag, full liquids for a week, and then progress to mushies/soft solids.

So, while leaks are very rare, you aren't doing yourself any favors by progressing your diet. I had a leak at no fault of my own, and almost died because of it. Honestly, you self paid a lot of money, what's going to happen if you have to pay for complications? My hospital stay with a5 day ICU stay for a total hospitalization 12 days was over $250k. That doesn't include the surgical fees, that's just the hospital fees and diagnostic work ups they did. My home health care meds for 2 weeks was 15k, and the home health care nurse for those 2 weeks with a total of 8 visits was around 10k. That's an awful lot of money in my opinion for a complication that can be prevented at this point.

My program's recommendations for raw veggies and nuts was not until at least 3 months. Remember the motility of our stomach is slower especially if you are on an acid reducer, and those high cellulose fruits/veggies can cause an entire set of other complications.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm simply being honest, and do not want to see anyone endure what I have gone through.

I agree with Tiff. Above was my guideline for 31+ days out, but I have yet to add nuts, plain/grilled chicken, steak, or raw veggies. The stories have scared me too much. I figure it can't hurt to push them out longer, but it could hurt to go too fast. I think we all have to listen to our bodies when we make the transition decisions.

Tiff,

I was cleared for all fruits and veggies at 6 weeks out...now I'm worried, what is the other set of complications? I am also on an acid reducer (Nexium)...

Every program is different so I'm not trying to scare anyone.

Some raw veggies and fruits are high cellulose foods which can cause a bezoar. Google "bezoar", it's pretty much like a hairball in cats, but it's from food getting trapped in our stomachs, and then other food building up around it. They typically have to be surgically removed. Also, fruits are high in carbs, and during our initial losing stage, we were advised to steer clear of all fruit, including no more than 4 ounces of juice per day.

We couldn't have fruits and veggies until we knew could tolerate solid food without problems.

/ ITA with Tiff. Why risk stuff when there's no need to do that.....what to eat? You've got a lot of time - rest of your life - to eat whatever you can tolerate, so why push it? I followed a very conservative food plan as prescribed by Dr. Aceves, my surgeon. I didn't deviate from it, even though I "wanted" more substance in the food. I think what you're really saying PNW218 is that your "head" hunger got the best of you and you gave in to it. It's really in your best interest to NOT EAT that stuff in the beginning. Yes, every doc is different on what they'll allow, but to do this:

At one week, I was eating potato Soup, mashed potatoes, yogurt and cottage cheese. At about 10 days I added canned beef stew. I have also had one hard boiled egg, mushed like I was going to make egg salad.

is very foolish in my humble opinion of having gone through the sleeve procedure now 7 mos. post op. Your surgery wasn't even 1 mo. ago - guess what, you're not healed yet. :P

I figured I was gonna get a lecture or two! : )

Would I love to eat regular food now? Yep! But I also wasn't getting enuf on the liquids only. I felt weak during the day. Even with Protein powder in everything. I feel so much better with soft foods.

I can understand not eating anything that is going to get lodged. What about the seeds in strawberry yogurt? Should I avoid that also?

I will spend more time with soft stuff. I do like the Cornell diet the most so will stick with that format. I guess I have to remember that the inside is still healing even tho the rest of me feels normal.

Thanks for your input!

Tiff,

Since you have seen it all and done so much research can you explain to me what types of acid reducers I will need. Also post op friends, I've been told to bring gas x strips to the hospital w/ me? Is this for the burping, or all the air from the laproscopy?

Just wondering.

Anna

I figured I was gonna get a lecture or two! : )

Would I love to eat regular food now? Yep! But I also wasn't getting enuf on the liquids only. I felt weak during the day. Even with Protein powder in everything. I feel so much better with soft foods.

I can understand not eating anything that is going to get lodged. What about the seeds in strawberry yogurt? Should I avoid that also?

I will spend more time with soft stuff. I do like the Cornell diet the most so will stick with that format. I guess I have to remember that the inside is still healing even tho the rest of me feels normal.

Thanks for your input!

Definitely no seedy fruits.

I promise I don't mean to sound lecturey. I've just been through the wringer, and I get pm's weekly about progressing diets quickly and then people suffering the consequences. If I can keep just one person from enduring what I went through, I will be happy.

Edit to add: Remember as well, you aren't going to get a full signal while on liquids, it's liquids in, liquids out. Plus, your stomach nerves have been cut, stapled and severed. It's not to punish you, it's simply to let your body heal.

Believe, I've read horror stories about people having infections, ulcers and leaks due to progressing through the diet too fast. One lady was stopping for chicken salad 3 days post-op. 4 weeks later, she was hospitalized with an abscess on the staple line. It's just not worth the risk when in a few more weeks you can eat literally anything and everything you want.

Edited by Tiffykins

Tiff,

Since you have seen it all and done so much research can you explain to me what types of acid reducers I will need. Also post op friends, I've been told to bring gas x strips to the hospital w/ me? Is this for the burping, or all the air from the laproscopy?

Just wondering.

Anna

Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid and Protonix seem to be the most popular among VSG patients.

Prilosec and Protonix are available in generic.

Prilosec and Prevacid are both available over the counter.

I am on prescription generic Prilosec 20mg once daily.

I was told no strawberries or anything with seeds. I eat watermelon when I am really thirsty and Water just isn't cutting it. I only eat a few spoonfuls at one time.