Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Breakfast

WasA is working on a low carb pre-op diet meal plan so I figured it would be helpful to have some low carb recipes to go with that. Here's a few for breakfast:

Blueberry Almond Breakfast Pudding

This easy, healthy, low carb breakfast pudding can be made with any berries or other additions as listed. Make it in the microwave in under 5 minutes. For a larger serving, increase the almond meal up to 1/2 cup, add 1 - 2 Tablespoon Water, and cook a bit longer.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup almond meal
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup blueberries - frozen or otherwise
  • Sweetener and flavoring to taste - see list below

Preparation:

Mix almond meal, egg, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Move the cooked part of the pudding towards the center of the bowl and add blueberries and/or any mix-ins you want. Microwave for about 45-60 more seconds, depending on mix-ins (frozen fruit will need even longer cooking, as it will cool down the pudding). Stir and eat.

Possible Additions:

• Fresh or frozen berries
  • Unsweetened coconut
  • Peanut butter or other nut butters
  • Small cubes of cream cheese (any fat level)
  • Sugar-free maple or other syrup
  • Chopped nuts
  • Sugar free jams/preservatives

Nutritional Information: Each serving (with blueberries) has 6 grams effective carbohydrate plus 5 grams Fiber, 13 grams Protein, and 273 calories.

Flax Breakfast Pudding

This "pudding" can be put together in the microwave in 3-4 minutes. You can add berries or other "mix-ins" - see suggestions below. The flax gives it lots of fiber and good fat, plus a nice nutty flavor.

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup flax seed meal
  • 1/4 cup water (some of the liquid can be sugar-free Syrup, if desired)
  • 1 egg
  • Sugar substitute to taste
  • Mix-ins as desired (see below)

Preparation:

Mix flax meal, egg, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Move the cooked part of the pudding towards the center of the bowl and add any mix-ins you want. Microwave for about 45-60 more seconds, depending on mix-ins (frozen fruit will need even longer cooking, as it will cool down the pudding). Stir and eat.

Possible Additions:

• Fresh or frozen berries or other fruit
  • Unsweetened coconut
  • Peanut butter or other nut butters
  • Small cubes of cream cheese (any fat level)
  • Sugar-free maple or other syrup
  • Chopped nuts
  • Sugar free jams/preserves

Nutritional Information: Each serving has 1 gram

effective carbohydrate plus 9 grams fiber, 12 grams protein, and 243 calories.

Atkins Low Carb omelet Recipe

The omelet is about the perfect breakfast food as far as Atkins and other low carb diets are concerned. It's easy, quick, and can be done with a variety of ingredients!

Ingredients:

2 eggs

dash salt

dash pepper

1 Tbsp butter

1/8 cup random veggies

Break both eggs into a mixing bowl. Add in salt and pepper. Heat the pan over medium heat with a full pat of butter in it. Pour in the eggs. Wait about 20 seconds, and then sprinkle on whatever other ingredients you're going to add. I happen to like broccoli and Tomato. You would use 1/8th cup of each. You can also add ham, turkey, mushrooms, and many other vegetables.

Cook covered for 1-2 minutes, until the top is still wet but mostly firm. If you add cheese, put that on near the end because it melts quickly. At this point, fold one corner over about 2/3rds across. If it's too wet, the ingredients will just slide off. If it's too dry, the fold won't "stick" and will spring back to flat.

Cook for another minute, and serve hot!

Servings: 1

Carbs:

base omelet: 1.2g

1/8c broccoli: .4g

1/8c mushrooms: .2g

1 slice cheese: .3g

Note: Some people add a dash of heavy cream to their omelets to make them even smoother. If you're looking for variety in your omelets, give this a try!

PUFFED OVEN PANCAKE - 6 Servings

2 tbsp butter

3 eggs (1.8 grams of carbs)

1/2 cup high gluten flour * (12 grams of carbs)

1/4 cup cream (2.4 grams of carbs)

1/4 cup water

salt

Melt butter in skillet. Beat eggs. Add flour, cream water and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix well. Pour into hot skillet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve with blackberry syrup, maple butter or low carbohydrate maple syrup.

Carb Count: Recipe Total 16.2 grams of carbs, Carbohydrates Per Serving 2.7 grams of carbs

* You can purchase high gluten flour at some grocery stores, most health food stores or from a bakery.

EGGS BENEDICT - 4 Servings

4 eggs (2.4 grams of carbs)

Canadian Bacon

Sauce

1/2 cup butter

3 beaten egg yolks (0.9 grams of carbs)

1 tbsp water

1 tbsp lemon juice (1.3 grams of carbs)

Lightly grease skillet. Fill skillet half way with water. Bring water to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer. Break eggs into cup and carefully slide one at a time into water. Allow space for each egg. Simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat Canadian Bacon in skillet. Remove poached egg and serve with Canadian Bacon and Hollandaise Sauce.

For sauce, combine butter, egg yolks, water and lemon juice. Heat in a double boiler, stirring constantly.

Carb Count: Recipe Total 4.6 grams of carbs, Carbohydrates Per Serving 1.15 grams of carbs</I></SPAN>