Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some encouragment...

I am just over 2 months out of surgery. I have had some success and some setbacks. I have great days where I can stick to diet with no problem and then I have days I cant seem to get "bad" food out of my mind or mouth. I am feeling down today because the past few days I haven't been doing as good as I want and it upsets me. If my mind was where it needed to be I know I could be a lot farther on this road than I am now. I have an apt next week and am dreading going because I know compared to the last appointment (I lost 8.5lbs in 2 weeks) I wont have done as good. How do yall get through these days when u feel like a failure? :(

Learning new ways to combat the feelings and cravings you mention, is a process. It doesn't come simply because the band was placed around your stomach. The surgery is simple compared to the hard work we need to do on our heads and our behaviors.

In addition to Guy's suggestions above, when I'm going crazy with cravings, and wanting to eat "just because", I try and get out and go for a walk. Or, run some errands, etc. I say "try", because I'm not always good at it. But I will say that when I DO, the cravings and obsession to eat usually subside. Sometimes it's just good (when you can), to take yourself out of the house, or environment where you're fixated on eating. I would venture to say that most ALL of us on this site deal with food obsession. I've done pretty well (not perfect) since surgery, but I'm in no way shape or form, cured. And I do not delude myself in believing that I ever will be. This is a one day (sometimes one HOUR) at a time thing, and there are long periods when it's easier, and periods in between when it's more of a struggle.

Whatever you did yesterday, or even today so far, put it behind you and move forward. That's the best thing you can do. If you beat the crap out of yourself for what's already done, it might keep you in a negative state. It's okay to beat yourself up for a minute, if that's what it takes to get you back on track. But just keep moving forward.....

This is a new adventure for you. You lost 8.5 in 2 weeks is great so if you lose 2 by your next appointment it will be a step in the right direction. As far as those "forbidden" foods, the only thing I can suggest is that when you see or think of them try this, "that is not my food for today!" One day at a time is much easier than one lifetime at a time, because you have done this for a lifetime of health and happiness. Best of luck.

i merely look at the picture i carry in my wallet and phone and also shown on my profile

it would be easy for me to get back up over 300+ pounds......if i wanted too..but i went through alot to have this surgery and nothing or no one is going to stop me from being healthy...

to be a failure means to quit...are you quitting? if you answered no, then your not a failure

so stop thinking negative thoughts...wont get you anywhere but behind..

if you want to lose weight, i mean truly want to, i will tell you what my ole man told me during my pre op...he said to me, you wanted this surgery, so do what you have to make it work.......and if you do, you will.

The first couple of months were hard for me to...realizing you can eat anything almost.

I work through my weak moments by having SF everything available. Greek yogurt is my sweet tooth, WW string cheese with Melba is my salty. The way I lose weight is different I'm happy with 3-4# a month because the clothes keep getting looser and that's a great motivator. Keep up the good work!!

I had my band fitted in June and I have struggled with getting a loss. I speak to people that have had a band and they have lost loads. I think it's because i haven't treated it as a diet more of a I can eat what ever just not as much! If your really craving something like chocolate maybe try eating something healthy than you know will fill you and then have a little bit? I have tried it a few times an it satisfies me because iv had the thing I am craving and it feels more than iv actually had.

Or pick a day and have a treat day rather than little bits hear and there. So instead of bits of "junk" in the week maybe say Saturday go out for tea or have something that you have craved in the week and a glass of wine?

Keep your head up and keep smiling! We are all in this together and we will all beat it! X

Hi there, I am not banded yet but I've been reading so many posts from people who are right where you are now and having difficulties at just over two months. I wonder if it has something to do with the momentum -- all the waiting for the surgery, the drop in weight during pre-op and then getting used to living with the band. I think it takes a while for the body to recover from the surgery and adjust to the band -- and of course all the behavioral issues that need to be addressed as we go through that. You need to remember how amazing you are -- that you made this decision and you are making excellent progress. You really are! Many people gain during this time as until the band is adjusted properly it's just a tool waiting to be used. Only the installation has taken place, now it will be a process to get it working properly. You are doing the exact right thing by getting in to see the doctor and taking everything one step at a time. Don't dread it -- it's going to be fine. They are there for you -- be excited as it's going to help turn this around for you. The weight loss may seem slow but over time it's weight that won't be coming back. You are in this for the long game and you will be a winner. Chin up!