Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in mexico

I may have posted this before but if not here it is again. The 4cc lap band is still an FDA approved product and is still manufactured by Allergan (not old and discounted to Mexico). Most U.S doctors opt to use the newer bands because they have fewer complications. The FDA has recalled several batches of lap bands (not all 4cc) for various reasons but they have not required or mandated the discontinued use of the original 4cc. just saying... http://www.fda.gov/downloads/advisorycommittees/committeesmeetingmaterials/medicaldevices/medicaldevicesadvisorycommittee/gastroenterology-urologydevicespanel/ucm235262.pdf

I may have posted this before but if not here it is again. The 4cc lap band is still an FDA approved product and is still manufactured by Allergan (not old and discounted to Mexico). Most U.S doctors opt to use the newer bands because they have fewer complications. The FDA has recalled several batches of lap bands (not all 4cc) for various reasons but they have not required or mandated the discontinued use of the original 4cc. just saying... http://www.fda.gov/downloads/advisorycommittees/committeesmeetingmaterials/medicaldevices/medicaldevicesadvisorycommittee/gastroenterology-urologydevicespanel/ucm235262.pdf

Thank you sooo much for this,you put my mind at ease, ever since these ladies bombarded me I've been crying scared in my room this was like a fresh drink of Water thank you so so much!!

I may have posted this before but if not here it is again. The 4cc lap band is still an FDA approved product and is still manufactured by Allergan (not old and discounted to Mexico). Most U.S doctors opt to use the newer bands because they have fewer complications. The FDA has recalled several batches of lap bands (not all 4cc) for various reasons but they have not required or mandated the discontinued use of the original 4cc. just saying... http://www.fda.gov/d...l/ucm235262.pdf

Actually, they are not sold or used in the United States and are seen as outdated. The reason they're no longer used is because of the high complication rate. The reason why many of the Mexican tourism doctors use them is because they can get them dirt cheap because the US won't use/buy them.

As far as the non-adjustable band- that is entirely different altogether. By comparison, the "old" adjustable 4cc bands are like state of the art compared to the non-adjustable bands. The adjustable 4cc bands were just used a couple years ago still. The non-adjustable bands haven't been used in over 25 years.

pampi i really suspect you have the 4cc adjustable band and not the non-adjustable. it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor the manufacturer and type of band you have. mine provided me with a card and also post-operative report that tells me what i have along with the serial number. i contacted allergan and they provided me with the manufacture date for the lot and it was from 2012 (i had my surgery in jan. 2013). i know there is a greater risk of complication with the 4cc for slippage and erosion but i decided to accept the risk. i have my post-operative care with a lap band/ sleeve surgeon here in the states and he has nothing but good things to say about the surgeon i went to in Mexico, others not so much. so i hope and pray everyday that i don't suffer any major complications. this group is a wealth of information and as you can see some are very passionate so don't let the negatives keep you from asking for help. good luck with your weight loss!

Missy I appreciate your opinion in most cases but I really don't think you are correct on this one. The older model is still available from Allergan and can be purchased from them by any U.S. surgeon that cares to buy them. Because most choose not to doesn't mean they can't.

Actually' date=' they are not sold or used in the United States and are seen as outdated. The reason they're no longer used is because of the high complication rate. The reason why many of the Mexican tourism doctors use them is because they can get them dirt cheap because the US won't use/buy them.

As far as the non-adjustable band- that is entirely different altogether. By comparison, the "old" adjustable 4cc bands are like state of the art compared to the non-adjustable bands. The adjustable 4cc bands were just used a couple years ago still. The non-adjustable bands haven't been used in over 25 years.[/quote']

My god you just wont quit will you? Honestly woman mind your own business even if i decided to put poison in my body its still my decision so please stay out of my conversation ive already made it clear that im not interested in your opinion so please have the courtesy to stop writing here

My god you just wont quit will you? Honestly woman mind your own business even if i decided to put poison in my body its still my decision so please stay out of my conversation ive already made it clear that im not interested in your opinion so please have the courtesy to stop writing here

Newsflash sweetheart- this is a forum. You're the one who put your business out on the internet for anyone and everyone to read and comment on. Don't like it? Then don't post it. Problem solved.

I have been nothing but respectful towards you and I initially wrote out of sincere concern for your well being However, your juvenile and downright ignorant attitude have made me reach a place of no longer caring what you do or what happens to you.

Just remember, ignorance isn't bliss. I'm sure you'll find that out soon enough, though.

pampi i really suspect you have the 4cc adjustable band and not the non-adjustable. it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor the manufacturer and type of band you have. mine provided me with a card and also post-operative report that tells me what i have along with the serial number. i contacted allergan and they provided me with the manufacture date for the lot and it was from 2012 (i had my surgery in jan. 2013). i know there is a greater risk of complication with the 4cc for slippage and erosion but i decided to accept the risk. i have my post-operative care with a lap band/ sleeve surgeon here in the states and he has nothing but good things to say about the surgeon i went to in Mexico' date=' others not so much. so i hope and pray everyday that i don't suffer any major complications. this group is a wealth of information and as you can see some are very passionate so don't let the negatives keep you from asking for help. good luck with your weight loss![/quote']

Thank you very much feelinggood I will call tomorrow and ask for more information maybe its like you said I am misinformed I do remember he told me that it can get it adjusted with no further surgery so maybe I have the same thing as you and I just didnt realize this, again thank you very much and i wish you the best of luck please stay in touch

Hey Missy, you held out with being polite for much longer than I could have! WTG.

This is a public forum and, as I have seen in your many posts, you do show genuine care and concern for other members. You did your best for this OP and her abusive response is sad. Don't take it personally and keep on sharing your success, experience and knowledge for the benefit of the rest of us.

Newsflash sweetheart- this is a forum. You're the one who put your business out on the internet for anyone and everyone to read and comment on. Don't like it? Then don't post it. Problem solved.

I have been nothing but respectful towards you and I initially wrote out of sincere concern for your well being However' date=' your juvenile and downright ignorant attitude have made me reach a place of no longer caring what you do or what happens to you.

Just remember, ignorance isn't bliss. I'm sure you'll find that out soon enough, though.[/quote']

I truly dont care if you think im ignorant or juvenile I only defended my opinion and decision how can you call me ignorant when your here continually arguing about something thats not your business and completely doesn't concern you, if you would of been genuinely concerned for my me you wouldnt of bombarded me with negativity the way you did knowing Ive just had the band for two weeks, how do you think you made me feel? How can you presume to be intelligent and criticize others when you dont have the brain to know that Mexico also has wonderful doctors some even better than US doctors so please keep your opinion to yourself i honestly dont need it or want it.

I truly dont care if you think im ignorant or juvenile I only defended my opinion and decision how can you call me ignorant when your here continually arguing about something thats not your business and completely doesn't concern you, if you would of been genuinely concerned for my me you wouldnt of bombarded me with negativity the way you did knowing Ive just had the band for two weeks, how do you think you made me feel? How can you presume to be intelligent and criticize others when you dont have the brain to know that Mexico also has wonderful doctors some even better than US doctors so please keep your opinion to yourself i honestly dont need it or want it.

I have a brain. I did my research BEFORE getting surgery. I didn't let some unscrupulous moron put an archaic 25 year old band in me to save a buck. I also know there's a good reason the majority of US doctors won't touch anyone banded in Mexico.

This isn't my opinion. This is FACT. Learn the difference. Just because you don't like the truth doesn't make it any less true.

Don't worry, I won't be responding to this thread again. I have no time or patience for ignorance.

Good riddance!! like I said your opinion of me or my surgery has absolutely no value or importance to me

Hi Pampi. First of all, congratulations on being banded. To address your original question, unfortunately you do have to wait a few weeks before you can return to solid foods. You should stay on liquids for the allotted time your doctor has told you as well as soft mushie foods. We all have gone through this process. Yes, it is hard and is an adjustment, but in time you will make it through. You are already doing well. 16 pounds in two weeks is great. That's more than I did. You ROCK!!! Congratulations again.

Good riddance!! like I said your opinion of me or my surgery has absolutely no value or importance to me

I actually think Mis has been very respectful in all her posts to you before you attacked her. Perhaps you were feeling attacked yourself and therefore can't see that she was trying to help you. When I read her posts I see genuine concern for you. I don't agree that she has attacked you or criticised you, though I do think she's criticised how responsible your surgeon may have been if he really put a non-adjustable band in you. I won't lie, I actually think it was irresponsible as well if it's true.

Having said that, if he's saying you can adjust it without further surgery, I don't think you have a non-adjustable band at all, and all this kerfuffle is for nothing. When you next speak to him you really need to find out.

I actually think Mis has been very respectful in all her posts to you before you attacked her. Perhaps you were feeling attacked yourself and therefore can't see that she was trying to help you. When I read her posts I see genuine concern for you. I don't agree that she has attacked you or criticised you' date=' though I do think she's criticised how responsible your surgeon may have been if he really put a non-adjustable band in you. I won't lie, I actually think it was irresponsible as well if it's true.

Having said that, if he's saying you can adjust it without further surgery, I don't think you have a non-adjustable band at all, and all this kerfuffle is for nothing. When you next speak to him you really need to find out.[/quote']

I will ask tomorrow, thank you