Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in mexico

Hello, i was banded in mexico two and a half weeks ago and in mexico the moment you come out of surgery your band is already restricted to the size of a quarter plus inflammation my question is if anyone has gotten it in mexico and are you able to eat a little more as time passes, right now i can eat half a cup of food once a day and the other times its maybe two tablespoons of food and thats all.... Can anyone please help me with this give me an idea of what to expect

What size band do you have?

Was saline put in at surgery?

What phase of the post op diet are you on?

Every surgeon and patient is different regardless of where the surgery was done.

When do you follow up with a local surgeon?

When the swelling goes down won't it get better? Walk, walk & walk is my suggestion. Welcome to our world of banding! :)

When the swelling goes down won't it get better? Walk' date=' walk & walk is my suggestion. Welcome to our world of banding! :)[/quote']

Thank you and yes now that the swelling has gone down a little ive been able to eat better than just liquids i cant handle solids yet soft foods and just today started walking and have lost 16 pounds in these two weeks already

What size band do you have?

Was saline put in at surgery?

What phase of the post op diet are you on?

Every surgeon and patient is different regardless of where the surgery was done.

When do you follow up with a local surgeon?

My band is non adjustable its the first type of bands that came out (less expensive). I know that the opening is supposed to end up at 3 cm and I dont see a surgeon here in houston I speak to my surgeon in Mexico twice a week and to a nutritionist once a week unless theirs a complication then i would go see him... At first it was hard because I was a big eater so the liquid diet and pain made it hard, im on my third week and i can honestly say things are getting better im 99% pain free but it seems like a slow process i just wanna know if with time ill be able to handle solid foods and will i be able to eat a little more.

My band is non adjustable its the first type of bands that came out (less expensive). I know that the opening is supposed to end up at 3 cm and I dont see a surgeon here in houston I speak to my surgeon in Mexico twice a week and to a nutritionist once a week unless theirs a complication then i would go see him... At first it was hard because I was a big eater so the liquid diet and pain made it hard, im on my third week and i can honestly say things are getting better im 99% pain free but it seems like a slow process i just wanna know if with time ill be able to handle solid foods and will i be able to eat a little more.

Wait, you have a non-adjustable band? No saline and no fills?

Wait' date=' you have a non-adjustable band? No saline and no fills?[/quote']

Exactly its like a belt if I want to get less restriction then It has to be done like a belt of course I have no interest on getting less restriction, I dont have productive cough no pain, no nausea im fine just wish i could eat a little more and solid food not just soft food

Seriously, I thought they stopped doing the 4cc bands in Mexico. No wonder you're not hungry but I feel you're in a precarious state keeping with a 4cc band. I hope you have no complications but I would try to find a US doctor for follow up seriously! I'm not trying to chew you out but what if your band needs adjusting? Do you have to go back to Zmexico? Or, can you follow up with a US doctor in case of any complications! I'm just concerned about your "healthy" welfare. Bes of luck to you!

Exactly its like a belt if I want to get less restriction then It has to be done like a belt of course I have no interest on getting less restriction, I dont have productive cough no pain, no nausea im fine just wish i could eat a little more and solid food not just soft food

Not trying to scare you, but non-adjustable gastric bands haven't been used since the early 1990's because of the very high complication rate. I've heard of Mexican surgeons using the outdated adjustable 4cc band (which also has a high complication rate) but never a non-adjustable band.

This is strictly my opinion but If I were in your position,I'd be seeking the help and advice of a local surgeon, not the one who banded you in Mexico. If he did actually use an ancient non-adjustable band on you, I wouldn't trust him to be in your best interest at all.

Good luck and I hope everything works out ok.

I got it because I have no medical insurance here in the US and the band is very costly for a cash patient and I wouldnt call it ancient in mexico it is still being successfully used regularly for those who cant afford a 10,000 surgery the hospital where I got it is very prestigious I didnt go to a low life clinic and pay 200 dollars but thanks anyway I came here to ask for advice and support not for you to criticize my band and scare me!!

Hello, i was banded in Mexico two and a half weeks ago and in mexico the moment you come out of surgery your band is already restricted to the size of a quarter plus inflammation my question is if anyone has gotten it in mexico and are you able to eat a little more as time passes, right now i can eat half a cup of food once a day and the other times its maybe two tablespoons of food and thats all.... Can anyone please help me with this give me an idea of what to expect

Congrats on your surgery! But what you are saying does not many ANY TYPE OF SENSE, and I am hoping you are joking or either a troll for your sakes.

If you got a NON ADJUSTABLE BAND, your surgeon's license should be revoked, but take that back you can't sue or question any type of surgery you had in Mexico.

Please be advised, if you honestly think you are "saving money" think again, you very well may end up spending more than many people who've got an expensive band THE RIGHT WAY, in the USA when it's all over, because the non-adjustable band has not been done by ANY surgeon in over 15 years (who admitted it), due to the complications with it.

I've heard many horror stories over the 8 years with folks going to Mexico for surgery, some only had a port did not have a band.

Not try to scare you, but you probably have no clue of what that surgeon did to you.

4cc/10cm bands are no longer used in the USA, due to the high rate of complications, but you would have been WAY better off with the 4cc band than the non-adjustable band.

You will need a whole lot of prayers and luck with what you allowed a surgeon in Mexico to do to your body.

Who was your surgeon?

I got it because I have no medical insurance here in the US and the band is very costly for a cash patient and I wouldnt call it ancient in Mexico it is still being successfully used regularly for those who cant afford a 10,000 surgery the hospital where I got it is very prestigious I didnt go to a low life clinic and pay 200 dollars but thanks anyway I came here to ask for advice and support not for you to criticize my band and scare me!!

I'm not trying to scare you at all. I'm genuinely concerned for your well being and health. It's very scary and unfortunate that a doctor would use such an outdated device- and it is seriously outdated.

This is directly from the Allergan site. The band you have was made in 1986. That is 27 years old and extremely outdated:

HISTORICAL TIMELINE

-1985 o Professor Dag Hallberg, in cooperation with a Swedish medical equipment company,

developed the first concept for the gastric band. His work was followed by Dr.

Lubomir Kuzmak, who pioneered the technology in the United States.

-1986 o June marked the first use of open adjustable silicone gastric banding (ASGB).

-1990 o In April, ASGB was used for the first time in Europe. In December, the first FDAapproved ASGB clinical trial started in the United States and the first ASGB

workshop was held in Europe.

-1993 o The first laparoscopic banding procedure was performed in Belgium.

-1994 o U.S. based medical device company, Inamed Corporation, created the first

workshop for the LAP-BAND®

System in Europe.

-1995 o The FDA approved the Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) for a clinical study of

the LAP-BAND®

System in the United States.

-2001 o The LAP-BAND®

System received FDA approval for commercial distribution.

-2010 o To date, more than 650,000 LAP-BAND®

Systems have been distributed worldwide.

Again, I'm not at all trying to scare you. If I were in your situation and someone knew I had a potential problem, I'd pray they were honest and compassionate enough to tell me for my own good. That's all I'm trying to do for you.

What you choose to do is your decision, but please keep in mind in matters of health, your body is worth more than any money can buy. Don't let money stand in the way of the best care- which you deserve.

Best wishes.

Theirs horror stories here and in mexico with the adjustable or non adjustable band im pretty sure youve heard of the horror stories from here too Im sure their must of been successful ones too and honestly what i allowed myself to get done on my body is my business only not anyone elses I do have a lap band not what you just mentioned Like i said I came her for advice not for anyone to scare me or get disgusted by the band i decided to put on my body if you dont have anything good to say then dont say anything at all!!!

Theirs horror stories here and in Mexico with the adjustable or non adjustable band im pretty sure youve heard of the horror stories from here too Im sure their must of been successful ones too and honestly what i allowed myself to get done on my body is my business only not anyone elses I do have a lap band not what you just mentioned Like i said I came her for advice not for anyone to scare me or get disgusted by the band i decided to put on my body if you dont have anything good to say then dont say anything at all!!!

Just because you don't like the truth doesn't make it any less true.

Good luck

Ok well maybe I will be one of those unfortunate and maybe I will be a success story you dont know and neither do I so in the mean time why not just hope for the best? Why scare me with those comments? Im sure that their were as many successful stories as their were bad ones, so why trash what you dont know? I did my research, i researched the physicians, the hospital, the stories and even the materia with wich the band was made which by the way is gore tex the material they make nose, cheek and all kinds of implants with, which is also less likely to cause an allergic reaction than silicone so please like i said if you cant say anything good then dont say anything at all!