Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have always had a problem with bowel movements. I get constipated really really easily. I haven't had a bowl movement since before my surgery. (I am 5 days post op) Is it okay to take some stool softeners/laxatives? If so, how many should I take? Before surgery I would have to take up to 7 capsules to even budge a little bit. I'm really scared to take too many.

I have the same problem. My dr has told me to take cilice but it didn't work so my gastroenterologist gave me a script of linzess 145 the best thing I was ever introduced too. Hope this helps

I found that Miralax worked for me and was OK'd by my doctor. You should probably call yours and get a recommendation from him.

Constipation is a very common problem especially after surgery and if you are taking pain meds. Call your doctor for instructions on what to do for this issue as we all combat this problem differently. I myself take a prescription medication, a stool softener, and Mirilax to keep me regular...but I'm banded 7 1/2 months...not a few days..

I to have that issue before and after so I was told Sennacot its a vegetable laxative and does not cramp me like the others.. i took two as the bottle said and i had to leave work early .. i was THAT backed up!... However, i am 4 months out.. in the beginning i let it come natural by walking and pushing fluids..

I had the same problem a week after surgery. I took calcium citrate and ended up back in bed with the worst intestinal pains ever. Miralax will take several days. I suggest (as did my surgeon) dulcolax suppositories. The box says to keep it in for at least 20 minutes. I'm never able to last 15 minutes. It works THAT fast.

So I have always had a problem with bowel movements. I get constipated really really easily. I haven't had a bowl movement since before my surgery. (I am 5 days post op) Is it okay to take some stool softeners/laxatives? If so' date=' how many should I take? Before surgery I would have to take up to 7 capsules to even budge a little bit. I'm really scared to take too many.[/quote']

I take Colace and Miralax every day but they are prescriptions. Call your doctor. I have had bm problems for many years. Still not perfect but the meds do help.

Two things work great for me: (1) Blend in one heaping tablespoons of ground Flaxseed in your Breakfast Protein Shake. [i buy a big bag at costco, cheap.] AND (2) I take one probiotic capsule at bedtime. [i also buy these at Costco - the Philip's brand.] I do BOTH of these every day and it keeps my BMs healthy and predictable (as in, no diarrhea, no surprises, or anything.) Works like a charm!

I am so glad someone talked about the TMI issue, BM's. I'm having a serious problem with this and I'm not liking it! I've taken stool softeners and no good, then I took a half a laxative, nothing, then I took a full dose of laxative, and I couldn't leave the house, LOL. Anyway, if anyone out there has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

So I went to my doctor this past Thursday, he asked me about my bm and I told him. He told me to use Miralax. I was put on a new diet for week two, it's more than just liquids now. NOW I'm super constipated, can't wait until tomorrow. Gonna ask about something stronger