Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell about your sleep study experience

I am curious about people's sleep study experiences. Was it easy to fall asleep? What was your room like? How bad were the electrodes/sensors/etc.? Please share your good/bad experience! And your outcome. Did you have apnea and need a CPAP? Thanks!!

I am curious about people's sleep study experiences. Was it easy to fall asleep? What was your room like? How bad were the electrodes/sensors/etc.? Please share your good/bad experience! And your outcome. Did you have apnea and need a CPAP? Thanks!!

I had my first study and I had no problem going to sleep . As a matter of fact I had a problem waking up . I did have sleep apnea . The experience is not bad at all . Nothing painful or to be worried abt . I haven't taken my second one with the CPAP yet.

I won't lie, I seriously hated the sleep study. They stick the little sensors everywhere, wires hanging off all over the place, hook you up to a machine, then tell you to sleep. If that wasn't bad enough, they tell me I can't sleep on my stomach and that is how I usually sleep. They also tell me that while I can sleep a little on my side, they need me primarily sleeping on my back.

I swear that was the longest night ever. Every time I started to actually doze off I knocked a sensor loose and had the nurse hovering over me in the dark to replace it- which in my groggy state always scared the crap out of me. I didn't feel like I slept a wink but apparently I did sleep enough for them to get some results.

I did have a sleep apnea and had to do it again with a CPAP. That second night was even worse than first because now I had a zillion wires and the mask to contend with. I won't even lie, the entire experience sucked hard core.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but you asked so I'm just being honest.

At least it's painless.

I'm not going to lie so here goes: HELL, worse night of my life. With that said, I have bad insomnia and take meds to sleep, usually don't get to sleep until around 1 or 2:00 am so I arrive at hospital to the sleep clinic and the lady goes "here is your room", I'm thinking oh great it's right next to the wall that butts up against the hallway, lovely. The bed, well if you want to call it that, was like sleeping on a freaking cot, of course this was my hospital, I should have gone to Nashville to have this done where my sister-in-law had hers done, they have tempur pedic mattresses. Anyway, they hooked me up, awkward, told me to watch a little tv, and then around 11 or so she came in and said are you ready to go to sleep? Uh, NO, I litterally layed there till 2 am then promply at 5:45 she came in to get me up and unhook me. Oh if you could have seen my goopy messy hair, I looked like a freak. They rushed me outta there like ok you're done and oh by the way you stopped breathing 47 times out of a minute. Wow, shocking news to hear. Needless to say I ended up with CPAP machine, got home with it tried it out, could not sleep with it, was up for several nights. Now a yr and 3 months later and 73.5 lbs lighter I hope and pray my breathing is better because I do not use a machine.

There, there you have my horror story of only 1 night you have to endure, just remember why you are doing this and it's only for 1 night. You can do it...

I was very lucky and had a good experience. Our local hospital has the sleep study rooms set up to resemble a hotel, so maybe I just went into hotel mode. There was a TV, etc. My spouse dropped me off and then came back for me the next morning. The nurse was very nice -- he stuck on the sensors and put them into a kind of pony tail at the side so I was able to fall asleep. I was worried about having to get up and go to the bathroom but when I did it was very easy as everything unhooked from one place. They checked on me from time-to-time and I had what for me was a "regular" night's sleep, i.e. waking up constantly, otherwise known as apnea. No wonder I was exhausted all the time -- and endangering my health. The next thing was getting the machine. A respiratory therapist set it up and I was fortunate to be able to have the kind that has nose pillows rather than a thing that goes over mouth and nose. It's a bit like how oxygen is done but the nose is sealed. Straps over the head to keep the thing on but they are pretty well-designed for minimal intrusion. I travel with the machine and last year even shared a hotel room with a friend for the first time. She did not laugh at me! Prior to that only my husband had seen the thing, and he is not horrified. It's just a little weird but really it's so amazing to be able to go to that place of deep sleep. I didn't realize how long it had been since I was there. Really hoping that a big weight loss will enable me to sleep without the machine, but I suspect I have had apnea and sleep issues my whole life, even prior to the weight gain. We'll see, though -- it's definitely a goal for me. Good luck -- I think you'll do fine on the sleep study. A sense of humor is always a good idea because the whole thing is kind of bizarre. Let us know how you do!

I've had 2 done. They were terrible. I hardly slept. I don't know how they'd expect me to with all of the wires connected all over my head and body. I was hooked up and told to go to sleep around 7 pm. Huh?! I can't fall asleep at home at that hour, they thought it would happen in an uncomfortable hospital bed with no freedom of movement? I couldn't even get my glasses on over all of the wires on my head, so watching TV wasn't an option. I just layed there. Around 6 am, the nurse took everything off and sent me on my way. Just an FYI - there will be a ton of goopy stuff in your hair. I wish I had a hat to put on over it. I pulled it back as best I could and went home looking like hell.

What is the goopy stuff in your hair?

What is the goopy stuff in your hair?

It's the stuff that's used to keep the sensors attached to your head. They pull the sensors off, but leave all of the goop in your hair. Seriously, it was a disaster. When I got home and jumped in the shower, it took a while to get it all out. I really had to scrape it off and work it out.

Hmmmm....I had a cap with the leads attached -- no goopy stuff. And I went in at 8PM, it took an hour or so to hook everything up and get me settled in. I watched TV for a while and they came back in an hour to turn it off at 10PM. Then of course I had to go to the bathroom. Back in bed I laid awake and was in and out sleeping for the night, but that is normal for me. I was glad the guy was so nice. No dogs at the bottom of the bed and they didn't wake me to go out at dawn, nor children to drive to school. Geez, I must have really needed a vacation.

I had a good experience with my sleep study. They gave me something to relax a little and hooked me up, felt like I was in a sci-fi movie with all the wires everywhere. I slept for awhile then she came in and put a CPAP on me and finished out the night. The goopy stuff washed out of my hair easy enough. I do have sleep apnea, and really love my machine, I sleep so good, and feel human in the mornings. It is the first thing I pack when we go overnight somewhere. Took it to the hospital when I had surgery. We even bought a marine battery so we can go camping (in a tent) and it will last for at least 5 days before it needs to be charged. I have anxiety issues with feeling like I can't breathe (I mean really bad) so I kind freak out when I think about trying to sleep without it. I want to be able to go backpacking and into the Boundary Waters canoeing again, kinda hard to do that with a huge battery to carry, so I will be very, very happy when I lose this weight and hopefully correct the sleep apnea. But my CPAP has been a life saver for me and I am greatful for it.

I have had 2. The first 15 years ago and it was in a facility with all the wires hooked up. I sear I didn't sleep at all. The second one was at home wearing just the head mask for two nights. The first night it wasn't tight enough and kept falling off, but the second night was a breeze.

Wow! After reading some of these stories I'm glad I didn't have to do this.

I just had one last week. I could not sleep. The bed and pillow here not great. Not to mention all the probes. I thought the goofy stuff was like Elmer's glue. I hardly slept but they decided that I needed the CPAP machine. I think it is a racket honestly. If you have to have it I guess there is nothing you can do. I just found it very uncomfortable. At least it does not hurt. Modern medicine should be able to find another way to test your sleep patterns. I am getting my CPAP next week. Just not looking forward to it.....good luck

I had a good experience with my sleep study. They gave me something to relax a little and hooked me up, felt like I was in a sci-fi movie with all the wires everywhere. I slept for awhile then she came in and put a CPAP on me and finished out the night. The goopy stuff washed out of my hair easy enough. I do have sleep apnea, and really love my machine, I sleep so good, and feel human in the mornings. It is the first thing I pack when we go overnight somewhere. Took it to the hospital when I had surgery. We even bought a marine battery so we can go camping (in a tent) and it will last for at least 5 days before it needs to be charged. I have anxiety issues with feeling like I can't breathe (I mean really bad) so I kind freak out when I think about trying to sleep without it. I want to be able to go backpacking and into the Boundary Waters canoeing again, kinda hard to do that with a huge battery to carry, so I will be very, very happy when I lose this weight and hopefully correct the sleep apnea. But my CPAP has been a life saver for me and I am greatful for it.

Marine battery -- great tip! We live in a very rural area and are prone to power outages. 13 days a while back -- that was something. An ice storm. Like you I get so freaked out if I think I'm not going to be able to sleep and breathe properly overnight -- guess that's the definition of apnea! I'll be getting on the marine battery purchase ASAP.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, and your SLEEP! Best wishes.....

I'm not going to lie so here goes: HELL' date=' worse night of my life. With that said, I have bad insomnia and take meds to sleep, usually don't get to sleep until around 1 or 2:00 am so I arrive at hospital to the sleep clinic and the lady goes "here is your room", I'm thinking oh great it's right next to the wall that butts up against the hallway, lovely. The bed, well if you want to call it that, was like sleeping on a freaking cot, of course this was my hospital, I should have gone to Nashville to have this done where my sister-in-law had hers done, they have tempur pedic mattresses. Anyway, they hooked me up, awkward, told me to watch a little tv, and then around 11 or so she came in and said are you ready to go to sleep? Uh, NO, I litterally layed there till 2 am then promply at 5:45 she came in to get me up and unhook me. Oh if you could have seen my goopy messy hair, I looked like a freak. They rushed me outta there like ok you're done and oh by the way you stopped breathing 47 times out of a minute. Wow, shocking news to hear. Needless to say I ended up with CPAP machine, got home with it tried it out, could not sleep with it, was up for several nights. Now a yr and 3 months later and 73.5 lbs lighter I hope and pray my breathing is better because I do not use a machine.

There, there you have my horror story of only 1 night you have to endure, just remember why you are doing this and it's only for 1 night. You can do it...[/quote']

Hi Donna, Just got my machine.... I am in horror. I cannot possibly see how anybody can sleep with that thing. I intend on doing what I need to do to get through surgery and then I will never look at that stupid thing again. Glad to see there is someone who feels like I do. My sleep experience was very similar to yours. I tried to Argue that it was pretty hard to get a good reading under those circumstances....as you can see since I got my machine today I lost the battle

Donna