Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 4...Hungry ALLLL the Time?!?!!

I am in week 4 post op. I am a low BMI bandster (starting with a BMI of 31.8). I haven't lost all that much. I have lost 5 pounds since surgery (July 26th) and 11-13 pounds including pre-op diet...which I understand is normal for the healing process as well as not having a larger number of pounds to lose. I weighed this morning however and had gained 2 pounds. I don't understand why I am constantly hungry now!

I go for my first post op appointment on the 27th and my first fill on the 28th of next week.

Is this normal to feel just as hungry as I was before surgery...I feel like nothing has changed. And it is quite depressing to see the scale go up...and not down. :(

Thank you in advance for all your advice!!

Toni

I was under the assumption that nothing was put in it during surgery. But a woman who went through the same doctor I did and started with a very similar BMI I did...just went for her first fill and they let her know, that the doctor put 4cc's during surgery. I found it extremely odd that she wasn't told before or after surgery. But I wasn't told anything either...and at the time, honestly, didn't think to ask.

So I can only assume maybe he put some in mine during surgery? I honestly don't know. I am meeting with him Tuesday...that was going to be one of my questions to him.

Well. Mine was put in with 3cc and I had good restriction. Once they added 1 cc nothing passed through and I threw up everyday so they took it out so I'm back at the original 3cc. I didn't know what was in my band until I asked at my first fill. Everyone is different some ppl have 8cc and can still eat and I couldn't eat anything at 4cc. Do not rush it, go slow. I was hungry a lot at the beginning too, but hey, I was used to over eating my whole life.... Lol

Since you don't have much to lose, it's going to come off much slower than people who are heavier. At my 4 week mark I had 4cc's in my band - 3 from surgery and 1 from my first fill. It definitely sounds like you need a fill if you are hungry all the time. Get one quickly before you start making bad food choices and stall your weight loss.

You are hungry because your and is not working yet, 4-6 weeks is for healing. Once your band is filled optimally which can take 3-5 fills ideally one month a part, most people hunger goes away.

Most people call this bandster hell, until you get restriction, also you are a light weight, and it may take a bit longer for you feel good restriction.

Until then, measure your food, and try to fill up on lean healthy Proteins.

NaNa is right. You're in Bandster Hell. You won't feel any satiety until you get enough fills to help you feel satisfied faster and longer. It took me 3 fills to get to that point. Others it took 0-13. Nobody told you about this before surgery? Boom!

I'm 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and I'm also very hungry. I did not have anything in my band when it was placed. I'm counting calories using MyFitnessPal and am trying to drink lots of liquids to keep me from eating. I go in tomorrow for another post-op checkup and I should be put on solid foods at that time. I hope eating real food again will help. I have another 2 weeks to go before I get a fill.

For a lot of us, hunger is something we will struggle with until we get the right restriction level. I was hungry ALL the time too before I got some restriction, and for me, it took a LOT of fills.

This is not unusual at all. In fact it's so common, you can bet your last dollar many thousands have been through this before you. Eat well, eat bandster portions, look for satisfaction (no longer hungry) rather than fullness, eat low cal, high quality food (whole, hard proteins) and exercise. You will get to the point of feeling restriction and it will get easier, but use this time to build good foundations for long term weight loss/maintenance. Bandster hell is a GREAT time to analyse the way you've eaten previously and make changes for long term good health that will stay with you the rest of your life.

I was banded august 1st without filler.

The first 2 weeks i lost 10lbs bcuz of the internal swelling & tenderness & discomfort which left me with no appetite!

This 3rd week my pre-band hunger has returned!!

My first fill is the 30th. Sounds like i wont be getting the necessary restrictions for months down the line.

It makes me regret gettn the band. I shldve gotten the sleeve where no fills are needed.

Im growing quite impatient & annoyed with family & friends asking how much ive lost.

They shld give us home filler kits!!

Hopefully there'll be a doctor on the black market soon to give us the fills we need...

What do we want? RESTRICTION

When do we want it? NOW

#corny #therehastobeabetterway #wishfulthinking

Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it!

HTXPEPPER- I agree with you. I have only lost really 11-12 pounds including pre-op diet. (I only had to do a week of pre-op since I started at a lower BMI). It is depressing. But from what I read...what we are going through is "normal", being that we don't have as much to lose as others.

I go for my first post op appointment on the 27th...and my first fill appointment on the 28th! It can't come soon enough! I am ready to start this weightloss journey :)