Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the longest any of you have heard of someone having the band without complication?

A bit ov validation was all I wanted I certenly did not mean 2insult enyone

It was a bit off putting 2 here some harsh opinions that seem 2 scare and not support

But u are rite it sould be about support so wish luck 2 all sill think

BAND IS BEST lol xxxxxxxxxx

No one is shaming anyone. Guilty conscious much?

I knew full well going into this there was a risk of complications- as there is with all WLS. I went into this educated and made an informed decision based on my research of Lap Band, The Sleeve, and Gastric Bypass. If I do have a complication in the future it'll have been worth it. I'm over 220 pounds lighter with a wonderful life because of my band.

i can totally relate mis

if something does happen, i will be grateful for i have had returned to me aka my mobility again..as with all things, nothing is guaranteed except gas prices rising..and with all things, its how we accept it and deal with it that matters..

I think you're also not going to get a balanced view from people who have had the band 5 years + from a forum like this because people don't come on a site like this, normally, if there band is working with no issues. By Megan's own admission when it was working for her, she left and went off to live her life. So did I. People come back when they're having complications because they actually have something to talk about, so on a forum like this, you will see an over-representation of complications. It's just the way it is.

I have a lot of friends who were banded with me, or before me, who supported me when I was first banded. They're not here anymore, but I do have a lot of them on FB. They've lost the weight, they're living their lives and they don't come on here anymore. You won't hear from them, OP. It's just the nature of the way forums works. So if you truly want to know about longevity, studies and statistics are probably the best bet you have.

very well said....i find i dont post as much anymore myself....mainly just blog mainly and revisit a few people whose posts i enjoy reading

yes now that you all have scared the hell out of this poor girl let's all celebrate.. I researched the band before making my decision.. there were some statistics with various conclusions..I think a certain amount of failure can be attributed to the patients failure to follow the rules.. I think some folks should have more in depth psychological testing before undergoing the surgery..I discussed the diabetes issue with my PCP and Bariatric surgeon.. both agreed my diabetes would be resolved if I adhered to the lapband rules... so far I am off of my meds and have lost almost 50 lbs since Jan... My surgeon told me that older more mature patients do better sometimes because they get it.. they arent disillusioned about losing without work...I think all points of view are okay as long as you can prove what you are saying.. please stop being so dramatic and trying to scare people... Nothing is 100% guaranteed.. I have friends who have had serious issues with bypass, lost one.. sleeve is so new and frankly I don't want to lose 3/4 of my stomach.. what if god forbid I get cancer and need to keep my nutirtion up to survive.. no way to get your stomach back....I will take my chances on the band and hope it continues to work....

I think you're also not going to get a balanced view from people who have had the band 5 years + from a forum like this because people don't come on a site like this, normally, if there band is working with no issues. By Megan's own admission when it was working for her, she left and went off to live her life. So did I. People come back when they're having complications because they actually have something to talk about, so on a forum like this, you will see an over-representation of complications. It's just the way it is.

I have a lot of friends who were banded with me, or before me, who supported me when I was first banded. They're not here anymore, but I do have a lot of them on FB. They've lost the weight, they're living their lives and they don't come on here anymore. You won't hear from them, OP. It's just the nature of the way forums works. So if you truly want to know about longevity, studies and statistics are probably the best bet you have.

So true. I am 5.5 years out with no complications, maintaining a 100% EWL. I come and go from here. OP, you can search for studies on PubMed if you'd like to do your own research. I prefer reading studies to taking someone says "a study says..." as true. But some here have linked to the studies. One can almost always find a study somewhere to support their claim, however. So keep that in mind.

While I do not regret my band at all, and I stay in touch with my surgeon. I have seen many complications come through LBT.

It's interesting that someone said I am "new". I was on this board back in 2003 before it was purchased and moderated by who ever does it now.

These forums are still being managed by the person that launched them. It's our 10 year anniversary next month.

I remember coming here back in 2003 when my friend also had lap band surgery and was a member here. But I didn't like the formatting,(didn't care for ObesityHelp, either,) so I chose Spotlight Health as my support board. Then that site kind of fell by the wayside and a group of us had a smaller, more intimate site where we all supported one another. But I remember visiting this site every once in a while. I was having such huge complications and as part of my research, I sought out every bariatric site available. And that's when I realized I wasn't the only one having horrible complications from the band. I had to do my own research to stay alive. It worked, too. If I had left my fate in my surgeon's hands, I'd be six feet under right now.

<_<

umhh its kinda scarry I just pray everything goes well I want a knew way of life being healthy weighing less god willing it will be all worth it :P

I have had my one and only original band on for what feels like over 20 years. (Okay, correction it feels like 20 years, but actually it is only 19 with Dr. Marcel Molina in Houston. 2/1/94) I have always had minor complications. Mucus build up, Pain, throwing up, etc. But today I found out the band is swollen shut. Originally - My weight dropped in the beginning but then went right back up. I was at 310 time of surgery and now I am 270. With a very complicated life because of the band. I followed all the rules, set by my Doctors but did not have a very good out come. I have massive other health complication now, all suggested to be from the lack of nutrition, and foods I am unable to eat. The band is the most difficult thing I could have ever done. And would never do it again. Now at 54 I am paying big time.

I'm curious, you just joined this site 32 minutes ago and immediately come to this thread? And, you claim to have your band for 24 years? You claim to have gotten it in 1989 (according to your profile) yet the first gastric band wasn't placed until 1992 in Australia. It wasn't approved for use in the US until 2001.

Sorry but I'm not buying it. I smell a fear mongering troll.

yes miss 73 thank u and that is wat i said on my preveous posts on here properganda its defo the sme people trying 2 bash the band nonsents it is

certan people need 2 get a life and 2 the origanal person just shows u i wasent being rude 2 them just new there game wish u luck with it

You are correct my surgery date for the band was Feb. 1994 in Houston! The date in my profile was typed in wrong, Sorry for the confusion! So I have only had my band 19.5 years not 20 like I stated in my post. So I have corrected that! Sorry I was off by 6 months!

I have a band, I have major medical issues related to it. I have lived with it for 19.5 years now!

I would never do it again! I think there are a number of different models and devices out there, so be sure you totally understand the product that you are getting and publicly challenging! My medical experiences are very difficult and I would never wish them on any one. It would never do it again. My medical treatments from this have cost me personally well over $200,000.00 in bills not covered because I have the band. So the insurance company will finds ways to deny some of the bills. I have a masters degree in medical social work with a focus on risk management and professional liability. So I understand this field quite well.

You are correct my surgery date for the band was Feb. 1994 in Houston! The date in my profile was typed in wrong, Sorry for the confusion! So I have only had my band 19.5 years not 20 like I stated in my post. So I have corrected that! Sorry I was off by 6 months!

I have a band, I have major medical issues related to it. I have lived with it for 19.5 years now!

I would never do it again! I think there are a number of different models and devices out there, so be sure you totally understand the product that you are getting and publicly challenging! My medical experiences are very difficult and I would never wish them on any one. It would never do it again. My medical treatments from this have cost me personally well over $200,000.00 in bills not covered because I have the band. So the insurance company will finds ways to deny some of the bills. I have a masters degree in medical social work with a focus on risk management and professional liability. So I understand this field quite well.

And what size band do you have? When is the last time you saw your doctor?

WOW...thanks for scaring the SH*T out of me....just when you think you are all ready to get your surgery date....now what????

Thats exactly how I am feeling right now.... was banded 6/20