Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the longest any of you have heard of someone having the band without complication?

I'm sorry Mis73, but there is no way to determine which complications are caused by patients not following the rules, doctors over filling bands and the band just causing damage. The facts are becoming more clear with time. As the radiologist told me, the newer bands are causing complications that don't involve erosion. The complications being seen now are related to swallowing disorders which prevent food from even getting to the pouch. I just joined a group that is made up of people with this problem and its amazing how similar the stories are...the symptoms seem to get worse after emptying the band. When their bands are removed, there is extensive scar tissue and damage to surrounding tissues when the scar tissue is removed. Most of the people who had their band removed for this reason are not able to revise due to this damage. We can't discount personal experience for lack of official studies.

No one is discounting anyone's experience, but it's actually rather easy to determine if the complications are patient caused IF the patient is honest about their actions and behaviors.

I never said that complications don't occur by no fault of the patient- they definitely do. This is especially true with the old 4cc band. But the majority of complications are because of the patient's behaviors not the band.

No one is discounting anyone's experience, but it's actually rather easy to determine if the complications are patient caused IF the patient is honest about their actions and behaviors.

I never said that complications don't occur by no fault of the patient- they definitely do. This is especially true with the old 4cc band. But the majority of complications are because of the patient's behaviors not the band.

missy, kudo's to you for sticking to your guns.......and speaking the truth and trying to educate/help weed through the un-needed drama...and heaven help the ones who do not have issues as then we are taunted as cheerleaders and sugar coating the (truth)....the truth is it does work...for some people...and the truth is, it also doesnt for some (for whatever reason)........it doesnt work for them and nothing no one says, not even their own doctors will convince them otherwise.....even when they signed up to get the band and (hopefully signed the paperwork) and listened to their dr say its not a guarantee or a sure thing and things do in fact happen, and when it does, then its on and its their mission to post (dont get the band threads)...they can post what they want and its great they offer what happened to them and i feel bad, i really do....but sometimes you just gotta wonder, WTF......but thanks for trying and helping the newbies not be so scared......

Again, saying that your truth is the only truth is just not reasonable. Suggesting that ppl who post about their complications or disagree with your opinion, are lying is very disrespectful. I'm appalled that since I now have a known complication I'm considered full of BS or just outright lying about it. I'm pretty disappointed in this. I guess there's no room on LBT for those who aren't so called "cheerleaders". :(

Again, saying that your truth is the only truth is just not reasonable. Suggesting that ppl who post about their complications or disagree with your opinion, are lying is very disrespectful. I'm appalled that since I now have a known complication I'm considered full of BS or just outright lying about it. I'm pretty disappointed in this. I guess there's no room on LBT for those who aren't so called "cheerleaders". :(

re-read the thread, most the of the people including ME feel bad for you and anyone struggling...if i could make you better i would....makes me sad that you and whomever is struggling so..if that makes me a bad person then so be it......NO one is saying your lying or full of BS .....if your injured, i wish you the best and i hope you get well soon or can.....there is room for everyone.....those with complications and those without...

This is just going around in circles.

I hope every newbie reads this thread and balances the benefits and the costs (in terms of complications) mentioned here before they make their decision to go ahead with WLS. Personally I think too many jump in without knowing all the facts. I KNOW the facts and I got banded not once, but twice. If something happens, I'll live with, and OWN my decision to have this wls.

But I'm watching this, and it's amazing how people refuse t agree to disagree. Yes, WLS has complications, yes there may well BE new complications we're only just learning about, and yes, I'm sure it has changed the quality of life for some people for the worse, yet yes it also saves lives, yes, it works to help you lose weight, and yes, this in turn can give you a far better quality of life.

It's ALL true. Not one of you is wrong, so why does your POV have to be the ONLY right one? No wonder the newbies are getting scared ffs. The successful banders are getting angry that you're insinuating that they're just being 'sheep' about their band, and the ones with complications are getting angry about being told that band complications can be caused by the patient (and if I had a dolar for every person who I see on this site who consistently doesn't comply with the band rules and then wonders why when something goes wrong, I'd be rich, so let's not pretend non-compliance isn't rife).

The band can provide incredible benefit to your life. It's true. But the cost may be small (some pain, learning to live with the fickleness of a band) or high indeed in rarer cases (REAL long term damage). Knowing this, then make the decision on whether to do it or not based on your own assessment of all the risks. And then once the decision is made knowing all the facts, whatever happens after, own those consequences, be in success or complications.

It's not "my" truth. It is the truth that has been proven. I didn't just pull the 5% number out of thin air, it's from an actual study.

I never once accused you lying or BS. I simply stated that the majority of complications are patient caused and the doctors know when it's patient caused if the patient is honest about their behaviors.

Sorry you're so defensive without cause.

I am so sad for others on this forum that have come for help and reassurance and that this is what they might get from a few people.

Here is what I keep telling myself: people that shame others must feel so much shame in themselves that it has to come out somewhere.

If you are having complications, know that it doesn't matter what caused them. The fact is that you have them and they suck. Please feel free to contact me anytime about any of your issues and I will not judge or shame you. Mis73- that goes for you, too. You are only a year and a half out. Talk to me in 8.5 and we'll see where you are then. Of course I do not wish any complications on anyone, and maybe...just maybe....you will be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have any. I hope that is your future. In the mean time, please be careful with people. We are all here for the same reason.

Megan

I am so sad for others on this forum that have come for help and reassurance and that this is what they might get from a few people.

Here is what I keep telling myself: people that shame others must feel so much shame in themselves that it has to come out somewhere.

If you are having complications, know that it doesn't matter what caused them. The fact is that you have them and they suck. Please feel free to contact me anytime about any of your issues and I will not judge or shame you. Mis73- that goes for you, too. You are only a year and a half out. Talk to me in 8.5 and we'll see where you are then. Of course I do not wish any complications on anyone, and maybe...just maybe....you will be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have any. I hope that is your future. In the mean time, please be careful with people. We are all here for the same reason.

Megan

No one is shaming anyone. Guilty conscious much?

I knew full well going into this there was a risk of complications- as there is with all WLS. I went into this educated and made an informed decision based on my research of Lap Band, The Sleeve, and Gastric Bypass. If I do have a complication in the future it'll have been worth it. I'm over 220 pounds lighter with a wonderful life because of my band.

megan u still have nothing on your profile not even freinds when u look at other people pros like mis73 or lellows the results speek 4 themselves so u can c why people think your opinion is offish.

megan u still have nothing on your profile not even freinds when u look at other people pros like mis73 or lellows the results speek 4 themselves so u can c why people think your opinion is offish.

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with anything. Are we suppose to be friending people here so that experiences are deemed more valid or valuable than others? When I started this thread, I started it hoping the band was more of a permanent weight loss tool that would assist me the remainder of my life. Not thinking that it would eventually have to be removed (which insurance may not cover w/o major complications). I wanted to know what you all know. I've done a lot of research, talked to my dr, attended support group mtgs, and have asked a lot of questions and have received responses from banders and sleevers.

I appreciate you all sharing the good, bad and ugly with me. What I don't like is the demeaning and condescending tones some of the posts have had. This is a support forum, so we should support and respect everyone's views because hopefully they are all based on experience and not hate stemmed from your own decision. So, I must say that I value the opinions of those that have had the band longer (regardless of manufacturer) than those that are less than 5 or so years because I'm looking for long term support.

I did a bit of digging and found my old name on here. Check out MeganA. I have been a member since October of 2003. A few years ago Lapbandtalk.com was sold and they reformatted the profiles so mine is not filled in there, either. But you can see my history. I was out living my life for many years and didn't need this group. Now that I am coming to the end of my journey with my band, maybe I am a bit nostalgic...but I also want to tell my story in the hopes that it helps even just one person.

It saddens me that people are so doubtful of each other. I remember this board as a place of support, love, and kindness.

Megan

I appreciate you all sharing the good, bad and ugly with me. What I don't like is the demeaning and condescending tones some of the posts have had. This is a support forum, so we should support and respect everyone's views because hopefully they are all based on experience and not hate stemmed from your own decision. So, I must say that I value the opinions of those that have had the band longer (regardless of manufacturer) than those that are less than 5 or so years because I'm looking for long term support.

~~~~~~~~AMEN~~~~

:(

I think you're also not going to get a balanced view from people who have had the band 5 years + from a forum like this because people don't come on a site like this, normally, if there band is working with no issues. By Megan's own admission when it was working for her, she left and went off to live her life. So did I. People come back when they're having complications because they actually have something to talk about, so on a forum like this, you will see an over-representation of complications. It's just the way it is.

I have a lot of friends who were banded with me, or before me, who supported me when I was first banded. They're not here anymore, but I do have a lot of them on FB. They've lost the weight, they're living their lives and they don't come on here anymore. You won't hear from them, OP. It's just the nature of the way forums works. So if you truly want to know about longevity, studies and statistics are probably the best bet you have.

I pray for every one, people come to the forums for support but there is a lot of mix feelings on this subject, why not just end this thread and every one can just be happy...