Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gave in to my old habits

Hi all, day 4 of the pre-op and I have given into the cravings. I have just sabotaged my own surgery. Yesterday and today have been easier with the shakes but I had a horrible work day and was tired and stressed, so what did I do? Eat.. My pre-op is for 4 weeks so I'm hoping that if I toe the line for the next 3 1/2 weeks, my liver will be good to go. I'm telling myself to learn from this lesson by starting afresh tomorrow and forgive myself for my mistake. I know I am an emotional eater and medicate myself with food, but don't really know how to change that habit?...

I'm also on my pre-op diet, day 4! So I understand where you are coming from. It is hard and I've heard that it does get easier. I do believe because you have such a long pre-op diet not to stress. We all make mistakes, like you said start fresh and put your best foot forward. This is going to be hell, but think about all the good that is going to come of it. Keep strong! Take day by day and just try to be positive! Best wishes to you!!! :D

First, don't be so hard on yourself. You messed up one day. We all have our bad days, trust me. The trick is not letting a bad day turn into a bad week or month. One bad day isn't going to sabotage your surgery. Just don't let it turn into more.

Eating habits aren't easy to change. I had my surgery 18 months ago and still have my days that I struggle. For me, distraction seems to be the best way to handle it. For instance, I'm a nighttime eater by nature. I can go all day without a problem but come night time, I want to graze. I find if I distract myself when the urge hits (I usually take a long hot bath) then it will pass.

Hang in there!

Most all of us have our "setbacks". We have had these poor coping and eating habits for most of our lives and they are difficult to just "turn off". Two of the biggest things I have learned are - don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake. It will only make you feel worse and potentially sabbotage yourself even more. What is done is done. Learn from it, find your triggers and move on. Next time the urge comes, try to go for a walk, drink a big glass of sugarfree beverage, etc. Second thing, each time you are stronger than the "urge" it will make it easier the next time. It really makes you feel better and you will be amazed that after a few times those urges begin to subside and you no longer crave the junk. After not eating it for a while it doesn't even taste good.

If you have Snacks or "junk" at home, get rid of it. Bring your lunch and leave your cash or debit card at home or in the car so you cannot be tempted. :) I promise, it does get easier.

YOU CAN DO THIS! Today is a NEW day and a NEW you.

Hi all, day 4 of the pre-op and I have given into the cravings. I have just sabotaged my own surgery. Yesterday and today have been easier with the shakes but I had a horrible work day and was tired and stressed, so what did I do? Eat.. My pre-op is for 4 weeks so I'm hoping that if I toe the line for the next 3 1/2 weeks, my liver will be good to go. I'm telling myself to learn from this lesson by starting afresh tomorrow and forgive myself for my mistake. I know I am an emotional eater and medicate myself with food, but don't really know how to change that habit?...

Your preop period is so long...this will likely not be your last time caving in. Many people don't have a preop diet at all - mine was 2 weeks and I have to be honest, I didn't get serious about it until the second week. So don't beat yourself up about it, you haven't done anything that will prevent your surgery...just don't over do it and try to stay as fat-free, sugar-free and low-carb whenever you do cheat.

You'll be fine.

whats done is done.....cant change what happened and today is a new day..do the best you can today....how to change habits? i have no idea, but a huge start is thinking with a (yes i can and yes i will and yes i want) attitude..if you think you can, you already are there with this.....its hard yes, but its harder if you make it harder.....drink alot, stay busy, read, research, walk, watch tv......you are stronger then you know.....when i am stressing, call you say hot bubble bath with a great book and some candles??

hang in there okay

Thank you all sooo much. Your positive words have inspired me to start today with a strong resolve and will to do better because I deserve it and my family deserves it. I have to keep telling myself it is just 4 weeks, not forever. And this is a hurdle to get over to get to my goal. I really appreciate your support :)

I was an emotional eater before surgery. My dietician really helped me the most, giving me the mindset that this is not a diet and that I can eat the things I want but in moderation.

I think as my band got to the right restriction, I finally understood what satisfied really meant in terms of food. I also faced a lot of other problems in my life that I used to eat away and it was truly like a weight being lifted. I dont know what combination of things changed, but my emotional eating is gone.

For me, it was a gradual change to get to where I am now vs the person I was before. I took the first step to happiness by getting this surgery, which in turn let me love who I am. I've also gained a lot of confidence and am no longer a wall flower watching other people live their lives.

Just remember this is a journey and take it day by day. There will be good days, bad days, and ok days but as long as you're in the mindset of your long term goals, you'll make it :)

Don't punish yourself too much. You had a slip up and you owned up to it. Take it one day at a time. Don't be thinking OMG I have to do this for 4 weeks! You'll be obsessed thinking it's a long time. Truthfully however, think about it, this is a life altering event and you'll be watching what you eat for the rest of your life. You're going to love the new you and you'll want to stay that

way. The lapband is for life so 4 weeks is nothing compared to a lifetime of happiness with the new you and remember ONE day at a time! Good luck!

You didn't ruin anything.. Normal feelings and many people eat something. Some doctors so t require a pre op diet. I was on low carb high Protein diet and I had some crackers with Peanut Butter whenever I got hungry. Everything went well. Go back on the diet though it does get easier. Don't be hard on yourself for the mistake just don't do it again. If you are finding it unbearable call your doctor he might let you have something. Stay strong you can do this!

Thank you all.. I have picked myself up today and strengthened my resolve to do this! Pre-op and post-op are going to be be tough, but I need to be tougher!! It is just a small amount of time in this long journey and the weight is starting to come off so yay!! You really ate all so inspiring and encouraging to us newbies! xx