Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My son (who just graduated high school - I just can't help myself - as valedictorian) asked me why I was drinking coffee last night. Prior to surgery my doc said to decaffeinate and I did but after I started with the occasional cup of regular coffee and now I don't pay much attention to it. I make Decaf iced tea but drink regular coffee every few days. I've heard caffeine is an appetite suppressant and an appetite enhancer. What do you think about caffeine?

i drink regular coffee all the time. I hate decafe and tea doesn't do it for me. I don't seem to have a problem with it, and some studies say it is beneficial. ( I need it for the bathroom activities int eh AM)!!Congrats to you valedictorian son. Obviously a "chip of the old block"!! Karen

Congrats on your valedictorian. I'm not a big coffee drinker but when I do, it's always regular coffee and not Decaf. I don't recall my dr. ever mentioning no caffeine.

i was told decafe as well but really i gave up my carbonation i think 'll stick to regular

My Surgeon had absolutely no problem with coffee, or caffeine. I drink coffee throughout the day, and I have been known to toss a couple of crushed caffeine tabs into my Protein smoothie if I have a particularly hard bike ride ahead of me. This is based on biking studies that show caffeine has an effect in reducing muscle fatigue during strenuous exercise.

I think the only problem with caffeine is the possibility of getting dehydrated. Because dehydration is a concern with the band. I don't know why that is maybe someone else can answer that one. I just dink one cup in the morning to wake me up and it is regular. I have not had a problem but I'm also only a week out of surgery. I could be wrong about the dehydration thing it would not be the first time. :rolleyes:

~~~Stephanie

I too drink regular coffee.......my doc doesn't seem to have an issue. I remember him saying something about the caffeine we consumed with soda's, etc. When some of us drank that all day...instead of Water. Congrats on your son's accomplishments!

I Told the Doctor A few weeks Prior to Surgery, If I had to give up Regular coffee, then no Lap band ! He said is no problem & it has been great.

My doctor doesn't have an issue with caffeine, but he does with coffee. He said that the acid can cause ulcers, and instructs his patients to give it up.....for good.

That being said, I drink one cup every morning. It's sacred :D I tried doing tea right after surgery, but it's just not the same. I've abided by most all of the rules, except for this one.

Congrats on your son! I know how proud you must feel :)

like my friend, terry, i drink coffee (reg) all day long

thank god for kerrig coffee k cups.......i prefer the dunkin doughnit original

aside from the coffee. every else i drink is Decaf

i asked my dr, no problems what so ever with me doing so

call and ask your dr if your concerned...and congrats to your son

Congratulations on your son!