Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

40lbs lost yet I dont see a thing!

I was banded on 2/19/13 and I've lost 40lbs so far. Before banding, I thought 40lbs was a LOT of weight. I thought 40lbs would be a couple sizes in clothes. I thought 40lbs would be a lean body frame. I thought 40lbs would be shorts and dresses.

The thing is--- when I look into the mirror, I don't see a woman who weighs 40lbs less. I see the same person I have seen for years.

My face has thinned out, I can see that, but my body looks the same( even my boobs stayed the same :(

I am 5'8" and have a true hourglass shape. So I gain all-over and apparently lose all-over.

At what weight loss point did you start to see the changes? Will I always see the "big-boned, thick girl" when I look in the mirror?

I've lost 26 pounds, and I do see it in the mirror. I'm certainly not where I'm going to be, but I see a deflated, me. I was also able to wear a pair of pants yesterday, that I hadn't worn in over two years. Another confirmation!

Koolkel - do you have pictures from before surgery? I think it's a good idea to repeat pictures at different weight loss intervals, and compare them side by side to the starting pictures. Our eyes can play tricks on us when looking in a mirror, but the pictures don't lie.

Many years ago, when I was getting ready to start (yet another) diet, I had my sister come over and take a set of pictures of me in a two piece bathing suit; front, back and side views. Every 10 pounds she took another set. This was one of the greatest tools ever! After the first 10 pounds lost, I couldn't see anything in the mirror. But looking at the pictures, I could see bulges minimize, from where the bathing suit squeezed by skin. So - even though the mirror didn't reflect my progress, the pictures told me that things were happening.

Good luck!

When i look in the mirror i see the same as well... do you feel it in your clothes? They say a scale can be our worst friend.. i say our mirror is equally just as bad.. we get all in our head about it ... i use pictures, and the way the clothes feel and the joy of being able to pull a pair of work pants up and down without unbuttoning or unzipping... i also say go get yourself a nice summer dress.. one that's easy to be taken in through out your journey..What you see is what you make of it ..

I have lost 50 pounds and unless I look at a side by side before and after pic I dont see that much of a difference. I can tell in my face and hands and i have gone down 2 sizes but the pictures are what reassures me. It's really quite amazing. If you haven't put a before and after pic together, do it. It's not too late. Even if you dont have an old pic take one today and look at it next to a pic a month from now.

I couldn't agree more about using pictures to see a difference, that is really the only time I can see the difference in myself. I am two years out and almost 90 lbs down and I still see the old me in the mirror, hopefully one day we will see what everyone else sees when they look at us. I also agree to use the way your clothes fit and the sizes that are changing. Good luck on you journey and get to taking pictures!!

I think most of us have trouble seeing the truth in the mirror...whether it's that we are smaller...or larger. It's almost always in pictures that you see the reality...be it the horror of just how fat we've gotten, or..oh wow...look how much smaller I've gotten.

Oh and by the way...I've lost 65 lbs. and have gone down a couple of sizes in my clothes but only one size down in underwear. And even those sizes are dependent on the manufacturer. I try to not pay too much attention to the size as long as it's smaller than it was at the start of my journey.

People are giving me lots of compliments because the weight loss is very noticeable now, but I have to remind myself that I'm still fat...just not as fat. I have to lose another 50 lbs. at least. And a picture taken of me last week proves it. I saw the picture and said to myself...easy does it girl...you're still a fat woman and don't you forget it.

Well hopefully that person in the Mirror NEVER changes!! Your Beautiful!!

The mind takes longer to catch-up with the body when you've lost weight because you still see the same person looking back at you. It will happen it will just take time..... 40 Lbs is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!! and continued success.

Pictures make me realize how much more I have to go. i feel thinner than what I see in the mirror or photos. I still look large in both mirror and photos and I am almost down 60. Compliments from others help me the most. Like from random people- like my daughter's hair dresser. People who don't know I'm trying, and who don't have to say anything, but they do- I love that!!!! That's what makes me think hmmm I really must look like I lost weight for a random acquaintance to notice on their own and comment!

See, I always RAN from cameras!! Lol! I just added a pic of me right before my surgery and one of me from last month. My scale says I've lost, but photos really show the same me!

Maybe my feet shrunk? Lol

I am done one size comfortably. I can wriggle into clothes that are 2 sizes smaller but I crave comfort.

I'm going to look for old pictures and see what they say.

Thank you everyone! It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I joke that I have reverse body dysmorphic syndrome. I don't think I ever saw myself as as fat as I really was.

I just added a pic of me right before my surgery and one of me from last month. My scale says I've lost, but photos really show the same me!

Maybe my feet shrunk?

Are you kidding? You look fabulous! I TOTALLY see a difference!

Track you body measurements. Inches lost is weight lost. If you don't think 40 pounds is a loss pick up a big bag of dog food at the grocery store and carry it around for a while. It is HEAVY! Keep up the good work. Sometimes the brain takes a while to catch up since you see yourself every day. Trust in the scales and consider the body measurements. Good luck!

I looked at your before and after pics and I can tell a huge difference!

You look absolutely amazing!

Keep it up! Dont get discouraged! Remember you are beautiful inside and out, and this is helping your health!

I understand I lost 40 pounds and I still don't see it. I think it a mental thing.

Did you happen to take your measurements before surgery? I measured myself again the other night (5 months post-op) and I was amazed at the numbers. Even though the scale is slow moving, my measurements have changed drastically. That gave me a little boost because I don't yet see it in the mirror either. It does help to keep your before and after pictures handy for a gentle reminder of how far you've come. Keep up the great work pretty lady! :)

See, I always RAN from cameras!! Lol! I just added a pic of me right before my surgery and one of me from last month. My scale says I've lost, but photos really show the same me!

Maybe my feet shrunk? Lol

I am done one size comfortably. I can wriggle into clothes that are 2 sizes smaller but I crave comfort.

I'm going to look for old pictures and see what they say.

Thank you everyone! It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I joke that I have reverse body dysmorphic syndrome. I don't think I ever saw myself as as fat as I really was.

When I look in the mirror, the only place I see the weight loss (42 pounds since 4/24) is in my face and neck. However, there are lots of places you lose weright that you don't notice until you start looking. I don't often wear a watch lately, but I put mine on last week. It spins around freely where it used to be snug. My clothes are fitting loosely now, to the point where I am starting to buy new pants and belts. I am getting close to having an outie after 40+ years of an innie. And yes, my shoes are not fitting any more :-)

Yet, when I look in the mirror I see the same gut and same old body. It is going to take some time to change the way I see myself.