Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time between consult and surgery

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and will be going in for my first consult this week. I'm 35 and am (sadly) over 300 pounds. I feel like my battle w weight loss has been like showing up to a gun fight w a knife.

I'm curious what the time frame was for you guys. I know most depends on insurance. How much time was btwn your first consult and your surgery?

Yes, the insurance requirements is the kicker, and they are all different! My consultation was in March, 2012... and the doctor's office told me my insurance required two nutritionist visits besides the pysc and medical screening tests. I expected to be in surgery by August. Instead, my insurance denied approval since they required 6 nutritionists visits over a six month period. That really set me back! I ended up waiting until December to get my surgery. If felt like an eternity.

Yea insurance can be a stickler, I was a cash pay and I consulted on a tues and surgery was the following thursday. Good luck

I saw the surgeon for a consult last October and was banded this month. Due to all the insurance hoops. Once I got insurance approval surgery was set for 3 weeks later.

Hello! I'm new to this forum' date=' and will be going in for my first consult this week. I'm 35 and am (sadly) over 300 pounds. I feel like my battle w weight loss has been like showing up to a gun fight w a knife.

I'm curious what the time frame was for you guys. I know most depends on insurance. How much time was btwn your first consult and your surgery?[/quote']

Took over 6 months, my INS required 6 months of weigh in and over 7 other Dr appts

I first looked in 09 then life kept hitting me hard

Fast forward to Feb/march of this year and I was back in the office for another consult..I was banded may 7th after having to switch doctors because it was my doctor and "advocate" holding me up

It will be 7 months from the surgical seminar and 6 months from the consult with the surgeon. I had my consult in December and my surgery is scheduled for June 26th. I had a 3 month requirement from my insurance but there were a few bumps and it took 1 month to receive approval so the 3 months quickly doubled. My progam would not schedule surgery until I had approval. My biggest pice of advice is just be patient. The time does fly because you are busy with appointments.

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and will be going in for my first consult this week. I'm 35 and am (sadly) over 300 pounds. I feel like my battle w weight loss has been like showing up to a gun fight w a knife.

I'm curious what the time frame was for you guys. I know most depends on insurance. How much time was btwn your first consult and your surgery?

It totally depends on your doctor and insurance. You can skip the 6-7 month supervision period if you have already done something like that in the past. I tried several diets and went to Quick Weight Loss and did a medically supervised diet for about 18 months - both programs involved tons of pills, they worked but as soon as I quit taking the pills my weight gradually went back up. Again, I believe because I had already tried and failed, I did not have to do the typical 6-7 months supervision.

My timeline is as follows:

April 11 - Initial consult (blood work, vitals, ekg, urine, respriratory)

April 13 - Psych eval

April 20 - Package went to BCBS

April 23 - BCBS Approved

May 1 - Surgery Scheduled (long waiting list, doctor's vacation)

June 4 - Preop Appointment

June 19 - Happy Band Day!

So, had I not chosen a popular doctor who will be on an extended vacation I could have gotten my band on May 17th. I look at the delay as a blessing in disquise because it gives you the opportunity to go through the range of emotions associated with such a drastic life change. I was upset about it at first - because I expected to have the surgery a whole month before I actually will, but again I am still going through many emotional changes right now and I know that this delay is necessary.

Good luck to you...you are in good company!

It def depends on your insurance... Which do u have? I believe my consult was in march, I did my psych, nutritionist, and pulmonoligist and also an upper gi, then went back to my surgeon they booked my surgery for may 30th and then submitted to my insurance the Monday after Mother's Day, and by that Friday I was approved! So my surgery is this Thursday! 2 months felt like forever especially guessing if your ins will cover it, and thinking the what ifs... But just be patient and don't stress, I did and I drive myself crazy for 2 months lol

Thanks for sharing your stories! I have BCBS and we have always been pleased with their service. It's good for me to hear that most had to wait several months. Helps me manage my expectations. Glad I found this forum. Already been a big help.

I also have bcbs they are great! It will be a breeze!

Well, found out today our policy does not cover the surgery. And we are living debt free, so we are gonna come up with the money before we move forward. Luckily, my husband has a great side business and we should have the cash in a couple of months.

I'm already having trouble w eating right! How did you guys stay in track during your waiting period?!?

My insurance policy also did not cover any WLS. I was so surprised. I decided I was going to be a self pay. I didn't want to delay this any longer. My husband is being very supportive. A self pay has no issuance hurdles so I met w nutritionist did EKG blood work chest X-ray abdominal ultrasound psychological evaluation and met w surgeon all with in 3 days! As soon as that was don't they were ready to scheduel me. I needed to push it off until July because of other travel obligations that I had. So I am scheduled for July 24!!! As far as ur question about eating right b4....I just decided that I am making a life changing decision ( a huge financial investment in my health) I will eventually have the tool to help my wieghtloss stay off but the habits and food changes will still be my responsibility. I have tried to start eating the way I will eat post surgery. The nutritionist also suggested that I already start replacing one meal a day w a protien shake. This way when I start my 2 week pre-op diet I will already know what brands and flavors I like. (Hope this was helpful, good luck!)

Oh, I like the idea of starting to replace one meal a day with a Protein Shake. Thanks for the tip! I don't have a pre-op diet, but I know I will drinking a lot of them after the surgery!! I went for my consult today, and I'm having my surgery on July 8th. So about a 5 week time frame. I'm self-pay.

Do you have any co-morbidities that might get you under the insurance coverage?

If you have to self-pay, I'd suggest consulting with the doctor and the hospital regarding a discount price for paying cash up front. I've heard that can reduce the cost by quite a bit. Good luck!