Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not sure what to do. help me please

Hello everyone. I am 1 week post op from being banded. Everything has been going great so far..and im now drinking plenty of fluids and up and about everyday. The only issue im having is this super intense shoulder pain that I am assuming is from the gas. I had gas pain the first few days, in my back shoulders and basically my whole upper body. Every area is finally back to normal except my left shoulder. I literally feel like ive been beat with a back or all muscles are pulled. When I take a deap breathe in I can feel the pain in my shoulder. Ive been using a heating pad and lightly massaging it but nothing seems to help. I figured with all the walking ive been doing, the gas would have left me. I called my doctor and he said continue to use the heating pad and tylenol. Hmmm so now im stumped and now reaching out to all of you to see if theres anyone that has experienced what im dealing with. Any advice or ideas would be great. Thank u.

i to had shoulder pain from the gas. i slept on the opposite side of it and rotated/moved/stretched it every 10-15 minutes while awake. it eventually went away after about 4 days after surgery.

It is pressure on the phrenic nerve. It may be your signal that you are full. After a week you should no longer have gas. Watch it when you eat and see if it hurts more if so then that will be your signal that you are full. Mine lasted a year or so before it stopped.

I had it, too, in the left shoulder. Thought I was going to die. Mine came and went the first few months, but finally after one of my fills it stopped completely. I think it can start from the gas, but it's definitely nerve related later on. Hang in there. It'll eventually go away.

My surgeon said the shoulder pain was referred pain from the work done inside me. It may not feel like it now, but it will pass in time. One day you will realise that it isn't hurting any more.

My surgeon said the shoulder pain was referred pain from the work done inside me. It may not feel like it now' date=' but it will pass in time. One day you will realise that it isn't hurting any more.[/quote']

I had my surgery on Monday the 13th and I can tell you that the gas pain has only gotten worse. I've walked. I've tried heat and gas X. Stretching, bending and even had my husband lightly pound my back. All to no avail. I certainly hope it goes away soon. Another concern I have is that even though I'm following my diet, I'm still hungry. Any suggestions?

Laparoscopy is a highly sophisticated technique and it involves use of either a telescopic rod lens, which is further connected to a video camera, or a digital laparoscope. Shoulder pain that erupts after laparoscopic surgery is observed due to rise in carbon dioxide in the abdomen which further exerts pressure on the phrenic nerve.

Link Between Laparoscopic Surgery and Shoulder Pain

Understanding the Surgical Method

The reason behind occurrence of shoulder pain will be clear when you understand the surgical process. The following steps are performed before making the incision.:

The operative field is illuminated with the help of a Fiber optic cable system which is further connected to a cold light source, like xenon or halogen.

The laparoscope is then inserted through the incision (0.5-1.5 cm).

The abdomen is inflated with carbon dioxide gas in order to increase the surface area. This creates a dome like elevated structure for a better view of the organs. The area of abdominal wall is also increased by insufflation with carbon dioxide gas.

Post laparoscopy shoulder pain is associated with insertion of carbon dioxide gas during gallbladder surgery or gastric bypass surgery.

Occurrence of Pain

The diaphragm of the shoulder is connected to the abdomen and other organs of the body via the phrenic nerve. The phrenic nerve arises from the cervical spine roots on the neck, at the 3rd, 4th and 5th position. Carbon dioxide exerts tremendous pressure on the phrenic nerve due to which a sharp pain is felt in the shoulder and its surrounding region.

# The reason behind shoulder pain after laparoscopic gastric bypass procedure is the same. Such type of pain is known as gas pain, which is experienced due to retention of carbon dioxide in the abdomen. The pain is felt initially underneath the abdomen and then it moves up to the shoulder. The pain although is transient in most cases, can appear after several months of the surgery.

# The other reason behind shoulder pain following a laparoscopic surgery is due to the lap-band technique. In this surgery a laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is used for the purpose of losing weight. The band is attached to an inflatable internal balloon placed just below the esophagus for the purpose of reducing the quantity of food consumed. The person starts feeling full after consuming small meals. Although the technique is effective in reducing weight, shoulder pain is the initial side effect. It is because the new stomach capacity leads to minor stretching problems in the abdomen. Chest pain and shoulder pain arise due to abdominal queasiness after lap-band surgery.

Dealing with Shoulder Pain

Shoulder pain is usually a common side effect of laparoscopy surgery. The pain gradually disappears after 2 or 3 days. During that period, doctors advice consumption of warm drinks and lemon tea. The pain can be alleviated with ginger ale, peppermint tea and carrot juice. If the pain aggravates, doctors prescribe anti-gas pills or pain killers. Some common shoulder exercises also help to reduce the pain.

Now that you know the reasons behind shoulder pain post a laparoscopic surgery, you should not worry on this. It lingers just for a few days and then disappears gradually. Follow your doctor's advice to recover quickly.

A point to remember is that IF this pain continues long term, it's not "just gas pain"

LONG -TERM Left shoulder pain is from Irritation to the Diaphragm the Diaphragm doesn't feel pain it only refers pain TO THE LEFT SHOULDER. This is nerve pain, it CAN and DOES take time to resolve, BUT you have to have the band removed to resolve the pain and prevent more lasting damage.

I had gas pain; especially in the left shoulder, for a good 2 1/2 weeks post-op. Everyone is different in how long it takes to subside. Just walk a lot, and do everything you're already doing. I WILL get better.

Hello everyone. I am 1 week post op from being banded. Everything has been going great so far..and im now drinking plenty of fluids and up and about everyday. The only issue im having is this super intense shoulder pain that I am assuming is from the gas. I had gas pain the first few days' date=' in my back shoulders and basically my whole upper body. Every area is finally back to normal except my left shoulder. I literally feel like ive been beat with a back or all muscles are pulled. When I take a deap breathe in I can feel the pain in my shoulder. Ive been using a heating pad and lightly massaging it but nothing seems to help. I figured with all the walking ive been doing, the gas would have left me. I called my doctor and he said continue to use the heating pad and tylenol. Hmmm so now im stumped and now reaching out to all of you to see if theres anyone that has experienced what im dealing with. Any advice or ideas would be great. Thank u.[/quote']

I'm going through the same thing I had to go to the ER due to being in tears:-( I just wanted to make sure things were fine, all of my test came back fine and the Dr which is a great friend of mine said that the gas has no place to go and it moves up to the shoulders and until the body absorbed all of the gas, remember that it's easy gas placed in our body cavity and not in our stomachs:-( so we don't pass it real quickly. Get you some Maalox and lift your arms with a lite weight you will not only tone your arms but you are helping with the gas pain, trust me I so know your pain I crushed up 2 Benadryl last night and it helped me get some rest. Feel better keep me post on your pain.

Sent from Ladybug29 iPhone using LapBandTalk

I'm a week postop and I'm dealing with the same left shoulder pain. I have found no relief, very discouraged. I've tried everything. I completely understand your pain. I have my one week follow up tomorrow with my dr so I'm hoping he can tell me what to do to alleviate the pain, or tell me what to take for the pain since I've stopped my pain meds.

Thanks everyone. I hope its not going to turn into something long term. Its just so painful and hard to concentrate on much of anything. Lady bug, what is maalox?

To the girls going through the same thing. ..I hope we all find relief soon :)

I had the same shoulder pain. It sucks! I thought that mine went away, then out of nowhere it came back when I was eating/drinking + randomly throughout the day. My nut told me to SLOW down when eating drinking, which helped. But, it didn't take it away. I walked for 3 hours one day, next day gas was better. Walked for 2 hours the next day, gas gone for good. When I was inside my house walking I rotated my arms/shoulders and moved them all around while walking. Good luck! It sucks but it will pass!

I had the same thing and it is gas from the Co2. Unfortunately it won go away until it dries up. A heating pad was my best friend.

Thanks everyone. I am sitting here with my heating pad. Took a lil tylenol and its helped alil but not entirely. Just staying positive.

Keep walking and you will get rid of sone of the gas. Also try some "smooth move" tea its organic and helps to move you along which will let some of the gas out. It helped me.