Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any thoughts on starting exercising?

I absolutely hate exercising of any kind. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get started and give me the motivation I need? I am half way to my goal and have plateaued. I know I need the exercise but am dreading it.

Do u have a dog? Walk him/her! My dog loves to go for walks. My husband and I joined a gym and we go 3x a week. Sometimes having someone else to be accountable to helps. I can't just say "I don't feel like going to the gym today". Doesn't usually work!

I say just start out walking. It's free, easy, anyone can do it. Work your way up to 45-60 minutes a day. If you feel that you need more (strength exercises), then look it up on google and see what you need to do!

Good luck!

Marci

Thanks. I do usually walk my dogs but I live in Vegas and it is starting to get crazy hot. I try to avoid being outside unless in Water during the summer. I have been wanting to join a gym but am afraid of not using it.

How about a "dance" exercise video?

Thanks. I do usually walk my dogs but I live in Vegas and it is starting to get crazy hot. I try to avoid being outside unless in Water during the summer. I have been wanting to join a gym but am afraid of not using it.

Hey Jrock,

Congrats on your decision to embrace exercise!! I wast 450+ pounds and on oxygen and started my walking program with 30 seconds and now I compete in Triathlons. The key is start today... And increase a little each day. Also I used to live in Vegas and understand the heat you are dealing with there.

I suggest:

1- Immediately get a Leslie Sansone walking DVD / pop it in and follow - keep track of the time ( how long you do it) start with what you can do without it being an huge huge effort - write down the time it took - maybe 3 min maybe 5, it doesn't matter just document it. Then do it EVERY day adding 30 seconds each time.

2- Two additional days a week go to the mall or a target or Walmart and walk briskly and with purpose - distance and time of walk depends on your specific rate needs etc...

3- The DVD walk should be done as soon as you get out of bed - Pre coffee Pre shower - right away.

Hope in Your Future is Power in Your Present!

Lee

280lbs Lost - All diseases reversed - ACE certified Personal Trainer & Health Coach

I felt the same as you. I went out and bought a little set of pedals. I sat my a** on the sofa and pedaled while I watched tv or sat on my iPad (like I am now) and pedaled for 10 minutes. Every day I did that and little by little increased my time. I also log everything on MyFitnessPal so I can see where I am going and how many calories I have burned. You can also find out there what exercises burn more calories. I never walked because I couldnt and it was boring. I am up to 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours of exercise every day. Now I like to ride my bike outside, but if it is too hot or raining, I get on the sofa with my little pedal machine.

Just find something. Once you get started and see more weight come off, you won't want to quit!

all i could do was walk when i got banded and not far but i kept at it......each day/week i was able to go alittle farther and farther....as long as you do (something), its better than nothing...

I hated exercising for years. I encourage you to focus on the habit first of all. I started by just walking for 5 minutes every morning before showering. Slowly increase the time and intensity of your workout after you've got the habit of taking the time.

If you're like me and used to get bored while exercising I would suggest finding and listening to a good podcast or music. It really helps take your mind off the time and helps you think of the time as not being wasted since you're listening to something you enjoy at the same time.

I recently found an app called FIT Radio. they make sure to play music that has the right amount of bpm (beats per minute) and keeps you going. You can choose the genre, and the app is FREE. I couldn't believe it. Also, if you check mens or womens fitness magazines or websites and scroll through all the home exercises, maybe you'll find one that grabs your attention and you think you might like. Most of them are archived for free and you can print them off. I just invested in a treadmill for the exact reasons you mentioned, except here in Canada where I'm from it's the COLD that's ridiculous. Instead of spending money on the gym, this is a one time expense that fits with my lifestyle. I justified it by calculating the money I will save in one year by no longer eating out. Turns out I could have bought a Gold's Gym!! Find something that you love - don't set unrealistic goals, and know that you can do it. 1 minute off the couch doing a jumping jack is one minute you're not sitting on the couch.

You've totally got this! Good luck!!

I personally find it's not important WHAT you do but just that you do SOMEthing. Once you find an activity you enjoy enough to keep doing, stick with it. What good is exercise if you hate it so much that you don't do it? Doesn't work for me. ;)

Thanks everyone for the advise. I will defiantly take them all into consideration.

Find a friend who hates it too but wants to move too. If it weren't for my BFF texting me or visa versa in the morning we both would NEVER exercise.

I have an app Map My Walk and it has helped me tremendously to track my route, time and calories burned. Also Fitness Pal is great. Weekends for me are the toughest at not having no motivation and I tend to graze on those days also! Just start out walking even just ten minutes! If I can do it anyone can! Good luck! :)