Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Yr Band Anniversary! 55 lost, Proud, Frustrated! Whats Next

HI Friends, Have not posted in awhile, I must say that I cant believe its been 4 years since I was banded. I am having major issues! While I am proud that I have maintained a weight loss of over 50 Lbs since my Band. And 85 lbs from my high weight. I am still frustrated as I want to loose more and don't know what else I can possibly do. I train (Weight 3 x a week) Try to do some cardio 1 other day. I know I could be doing more cardio. I eat well but if I go off my plan for a day or two due to any even the scale is up like 5 lbs and it than takes a few days to get it back down.

I found some old photos today from 2005 they were really hard to look at. When I look at them vs today I know I have come along way but the scale is driving me crazy. My High was 330 when i was 17, my low as an adult was 223 when I was 25 after server diet, for most of my adult life I was hovering around that 300 Mark. UP or Down 10/lbs. I was banded May 1 2009 at 300/lbs. My low was that following year 237, In the last 3 years my weight is between 240 to 250 and I am not happy about that. My new goal is 235 but it is so hard to try and get their and probably harder to stay their.

Really don't know , I thought I would try something different and joined WW. The plan is good but the points were far to high. I cut it down and have been loosing a bit than had a weekend away for a wedding and it back up again. I know all this stuff about body set point. I have seen a nutritionist and she say to look at family and I am a big guy and my weight where it is is OK! But still not pleased just need to be reassured I guess. I need to learn to accept myself. It really pisses me off that many of the guys I know are bigger than me and seem so secure with themselves and they are fatter than me.

I have even though that maybe I should have By pass surgery now. You may have noticed that I on prior post that I had a body Lift. So I do look ok but really want to get another 10 to 15 off and don't know what to do next.

I enjoyed eating WW and tracking good amount of fruit, Now I am doing WW but only Power Foods. Veg, Protein etc. at least for awhile but I tell you lack of carbs make me cranky!

Go on a clear liquid diet for a few days then monitor your portions. No more than a cup of food. Just like in the beginning when you lost the fifty pounds.

She is right, back to basics, 100%. Pretend like you're a newbie!! It's okay to "reset" yourself from time to time. It helps!

I had my 4 year band anniversary last November. Haven't been on the forum in a long time. I lost 60% of my excess body weight quickly. Then lost a bit more. But after about 18 months, it all stopped. Then I got frustrated and ate too much, started back in on slider foods like nuts and chips and naturally gained some of the weight back. So I went for a fill and the doc told me no. He did the fluoroscope and said I had a lot of restriction and had stretched my pouch. He said he could completely unfill and I could wait a month and start over or go back and follow the rules. The thought of going a month with no restriction scared me so I opted to try again. He the explained prolapse and the consequences of continuing on my path. So, I went back into the fad dieting that I used pre-band. I tried weight watchers and Atkins and others. Even did the HCG, which was pretty close to what we should eat with a band anyway. Lost some on that but it isn't forever and I stopped losing and started gaining again. Finally, I have gotten my head together and am going back to the rules for the band. I saw the 5 day pouch test web site and have just done that. I did lose some weight, even though that isn't the point of the 5 days. But I have to say it is really just like starting over. I feel full sooner, it lasts longer and I am starting to feel like I did after my initial fills 4 years ago. It seems more challenging now to weigh my food and especially not drink with my meals. But I know I have to get back in the habit to be successful. Thanks for posting this, know that you aren't alone.

I read posts like these, and pay close attention and try to learn something...

I have only been banded for 2 1/2 years, and so far everything has been great....so when people say they gain the weight back, or they loose restriction, my ears perk up because it is something I must be aware of...especially the reasons why it happens....

I still cannot understand how one can loose restriction...as long as the band remains a constant...I do understand and experience it for myself the pouch dilating stretching, allowing larger than normal portions because there is more room for food to accumulate above the band....for this I do the 5 day pouch test, actually will go all liquids for 2-3 days, to give my pouch a rest and return to normal size...hopefully avoiding more serious issues in the future....also why Dr.'s suggest un-fills...

But I am still naive how one can "Fall off the wagon" so to speak....so when people do post these type of stories, it is something that interests me very much...like I said. I try to understand the WHY so others like me, can be warned....and educated..

Thanks for being honest and posting......that is why this forum CAN be productive...for people to hear other people's experiences, good and bad....and learn from them.....NOT to have know it alls tell us what we should and should not do when they themselves have a way to go and much to learn........as if their way is the only way

HI Friends, Have not posted in awhile, I must say that I cant believe its been 4 years since I was banded. I am having major issues! While I am proud that I have maintained a weight loss of over 50 Lbs since my Band. And 85 lbs from my high weight. I am still frustrated as I want to loose more and don't know what else I can possibly do. I train (Weight 3 x a week) Try to do some cardio 1 other day. I know I could be doing more cardio. I eat well but if I go off my plan for a day or two due to any even the scale is up like 5 lbs and it than takes a few days to get it back down.

I found some old photos today from 2005 they were really hard to look at. When I look at them vs today I know I have come along way but the scale is driving me crazy. My High was 330 when i was 17, my low as an adult was 223 when I was 25 after server diet, for most of my adult life I was hovering around that 300 Mark. UP or Down 10/lbs. I was banded May 1 2009 at 300/lbs. My low was that following year 237, In the last 3 years my weight is between 240 to 250 and I am not happy about that. My new goal is 235 but it is so hard to try and get their and probably harder to stay their.

Really don't know , I thought I would try something different and joined WW. The plan is good but the points were far to high. I cut it down and have been loosing a bit than had a weekend away for a wedding and it back up again. I know all this stuff about body set point. I have seen a nutritionist and she say to look at family and I am a big guy and my weight where it is is OK! But still not pleased just need to be reassured I guess. I need to learn to accept myself. It really pisses me off that many of the guys I know are bigger than me and seem so secure with themselves and they are fatter than me.

I have even though that maybe I should have By pass surgery now. You may have noticed that I on prior post that I had a body Lift. So I do look ok but really want to get another 10 to 15 off and don't know what to do next.

I enjoyed eating WW and tracking good amount of fruit, Now I am doing WW but only Power Foods. Veg, Protein etc. at least for awhile but I tell you lack of carbs make me cranky!

You are stuck on a plateu, it happens to everyone. A friend of mine who is a fitness guru insists that you have to do something you haven't been doing to "shock" your body into losing weight again. That means introducing a new food(s) to your diet and a different workout. In doing this, you "confuse" your body and it will start burning fat again.

Good luck!

My own surgeon said he has no problem with people going on a 1 week all liquid diet 1x a month. Maybe you need to try that! I will have my 4 year bandiversary on Oct 30. I, through my own fault, have gained too, but I am back on track. My surgeon removed .1 ml out of my band. I asked for a fill, he said I was a little too tight! So, I had been making bad choices because it was easier to eat slider foods. Are they your choices too? Best wishes on your breaking the plateau! Karen

Sounds like you are doing your best at maintaining and that is always a plus. How many times in the past did you diet and lose only to gain it and more back. I worry about doing this myself. I am only 4 months banded and have lost around 60 with about 40 to go. I have found myself eating a little too much and then going back on liquids for a day to make up for it. My weight loss has slowed down, but that is my fault. Need to be kicked in the can to get out of house and walk at least 3 to 4 times per week for a couple of miles at a time. Keep up the good work.

I think after a while we all get complacent. Bad habit creep back in, we get used to life with a band and learn to eat around it if we want to.

So to me, the trick is to recommit to the band lifestyle. Go back on the 'diet' for a while, and in the meantime, get in to see your surgeon and see if your band could use a bit of 'tweaking'. Or even if you may have a small dilation or some other thing go amiss.

Like B52, when on maintenance mode, I was able to stick to the band lifestyle for 3 years. When my band sprung a leak and I lost restriction, I reverted bit by bit to my old eating ways due to the increase in hunger and I gained. But I recommitted to losing weight and seeing my dr, and I lost 15lbs in the 5 months prior to my full band replacement. It may not sound like much but it was going in the right direction for once, and proves that you can recommit to losing weight if you want it. And if you want it, then the change you have to make starts NOW, not tomorrow, but right now, with band sized portions, and making healthy choices.

Just on the aside, my best friend (who is not banded) has been following the same Portion Control as a band patient since I was rebanded in May, to see if following my lead will help her lose. As of today, she's lost 15lbs, in just over 6 weeks. Weight loss is 30% the band, and 70% YOU, and she is proof that even that 70% makes a huge difference.