Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was not trying to be presumptuous or anything... I did not see anything in your post that indicated you had sought medical help.. I think your statement said you had been miserable for a month..You did not say I asked my Dr. about this or I have called him about this.. I don't think everyone has the same experience and I hope you truly get yours under control. If I had read your post before my surgery I would be feeling very scared... It's unfair to put that kind of fear into anyone who is already having a hard time deciding what to do. My advice to her would be go to seminars and discuss with other lapband patients and hopefully draw some conclusions that way.. She might need to speak to her surgeon or professionals in bariatrics before deciding...We are not Dr;s and ...opinions are like navels ... everyone has one

I appreciate all the feedback whether positive or negative about WLS. I am and have been doing a lot of research. As for the diabetes, my blood sugar was better when I was not as heavy. In fact the last time I lost weight, by blood sugar levels went back to normal again.. My father never worked to lose the weight. I will continue to do research and working on being healthier.

Tess, I can tell you that my diabetes is under control. I am no longer on my oral medication.. I did not have lapband to "get thinner" but to get healthy... At 66 years old I have no visions of strutting around in a bikini.. the point is if you are concerned about your health, present or future, take control now. Best of luck to you on your journey...

I think lap band is the safest overall choice for most people. Sure some people have problems because we are all different. You can say that about any weight loss surgery. If all else has failed and you are down to your last hope then maybe WLS is for you. It was for me and I have lost some weight and reduced my meds. My glucose levels are much better too. It is not easy for me though and it isn't automatic either. It takes effort and determination on my part. But I have made many adjustments and have been somewhat successful. I expect to have more success in the future.

how did i decide?

pretty simple---i was having trouble walking (5 or 10 feet) and wiping my butt because of my size.....i was scared to become one of those cut out from my house...so when i found out i was gonna be a grandmother, i knew i needed help...that was in early 2012.....yep, i made a good decision.

As far as diabetes is concerned the only WLS proven to literally cure it is the gastric bypass . There's are plenty articles about it right here on this site. Also as for as that post that said I should see my doctor, that's a bit presumptuous to think that I didn't go to my two week follow up. In any case if what I'm experiencing with the band one month post op is what life is after the band it's wicked. It would be extremely wicked of me not to share my experience. I refuse to be be that selfish.

Well, all I can say on Lap Band surgery and diabetes is from knowing two people very close to me (Neice and Nephew) who were both on oral meds for diabetes and now that they have both been banded and doing wonderful (both at their goal weight), they are both off all meds including blood pressure meds. They have maintained their weight for two years so far!! It can do wonders for your diabetes or pre-diabetes markers....Good luck in your decision! :)

I was not trying to be presumptuous or anything... I did not see anything in your post that indicated you had sought medical help.. I think your statement said you had been miserable for a month..You did not say I asked my Dr. about this or I have called him about this.. I don't think everyone has the same experience and I hope you truly get yours under control. If I had read your post before my surgery I would be feeling very scared... It's unfair to put that kind of fear into anyone who is already having a hard time deciding what to do. My advice to her would be go to seminars and discuss with other lapband patients and hopefully draw some conclusions that way.. She might need to speak to her surgeon or professionals in bariatrics before deciding...We are not Dr;s and ...opinions are like navels ... everyone has one

Yes you are right let her speak to other lap band patients, that includes all patients that are willing to share their experiences. And by all means talk to the professionals in bariatrics that never have been patients and their main job is to sell the product. That's real talk. I'm sure that her original posts requesting feedback did not mean "please don't share if your experience is not rosey". This is not a debate, it is sharing, which would be deceitful and selfish of me not to enlighten someone with my knowledge of the procedure that I did not read about , I actually have it, hence makes me a patient also. Anyone going into any surgery will have a certain degree of fear and respect for the procedures. Anything less is not realistic. Making a decision with more information than not is always best. Which there's also another side which needs to be considered. Such as all of your eating habits will have to change even the not so bad ones like eating with a friend in a social setting. You have to feed yourself like you would feed a one year old for the duration of your band life. "Literally" the possibilities of you not being able to eat many foods are almost certain. Like dry vegetables, meats, and many many others. I did not even go there in my original response because I figured Anyone can steamed everything and use pressure pots for the rest of their lives , on the other hand any potential patient has the RIGHT to all pertinent information.

Read everything you can, complications, successes and in between. In the end it is your choice. We are a community of people who found themselves linked by a common problem, obesity. As we move along in our journeys, we are all focused on our goal and may choose different paths to get there. I chose the band. I was successful, losing 65% of my excess weight, 90 + lb. I am also unsuccessful, since I have some serious complications which have caused me a lot of stress, pain and disappointment, at least a dozen diagnostic tests in the last year and I need at least one more surgery, maybe 2. I was compliant. That's no guarantee.

This is a big decision, so don't be in a rush. The fact you've been losing steadily since December is significant. 5 months of success is nothing to sneeze at. It means you've made some major lifestyle changes that can be permanent if you choose to continue to eat healthy and exercise. You might be one of the few people who are successful at diet and lifestyle changes, just as I am one of the few people who have Lapband surgery are compliant and still develop major complications through no fault of their own.

I am very sorry you have taken the defensive on this thread.. I don't think this group tries to hide anything from anyone who ask for advice.. I attended seminars and spoke with people who had been banded for years before I made my decision. sometimes peoples expectations are not what their reality becomes. I knew going in that I would be eating small pieces and slower, I knew going in that I might not be able to eat certain foods.. apparently you did not know or expect that.. As far as talking to professionals I think anything pertaining to the surgery and post op recommendations should be discussed with them. I don't think they are all interested in just selling us on a lapband. I am not interested in having a piss ing contest with anyone on here so, I am going to refrain from responding on this thread .. I am sorry for you and sorry you are so bitter.. I hope your future experience will be more successful.

I have not been banded yet. I am type 2 diabetes. I have done my research and seen the good, bad and ugly. I personally have a bad relationship with food. As just like every bad relationship, you can stay and KNOW what you are dealing with and what you will be dealing with for as long as u put up with it or you can take a chance and risk it for the biscuit. I refuse to live my life with fluctuating weight, torturing myself because I'm so frustrated by the scale. I am not living to my fullest right now anyway! I am a prisoner of my own body so why wouldn't I take my chances? I hope you choose the right decision for you, but I know many people on here who will encourage this decision. I see these role models everyday and they just remind me that it's very possible even for me.

I have not been banded yet. I am type 2 diabetes. I have done my research and seen the good, bad and ugly. I personally have a bad relationship with food. As just like every bad relationship, you can stay and KNOW what you are dealing with and what you will be dealing with for as long as u put up with it or you can take a chance and risk it for the biscuit. I refuse to live my life with fluctuating weight, torturing myself because I'm so frustrated by the scale. I am not living to my fullest right now anyway! I am a prisoner of my own body so why wouldn't I take my chances? I hope you choose the right decision for you, but I know many people on here who will encourage this decision. I see these role models everyday and they just remind me that it's very possible even for me.

I love your attitude, the right attitude will go a long way in your wls journey!!...I wish you much success :)

I am nearing the point where I need to make a decision about banding. I entered the weight management program not sure what I wanted to do beyond losing weight. I have been steadily losing since Christmas. Do I keep working on losing and wait or move forward? How do you make that decision?

Jess I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. I didn't mean to scare you but you have the right to all information pertinent. There have been a couple of lap band patients that have told me they felt everything I'm feeling for about two months post op and I'm only one post op. my husband is hoping that's my case too. Maybe it will be, maybe not but if it is, I will share it too. Best wishes for you.

Read everything you can, complications, successes and in between. In the end it is your choice. We are a community of people who found themselves linked by a common problem, obesity. As we move along in our journeys, we are all focused on our goal and may choose different paths to get there. I chose the band. I was successful, losing 65% of my excess weight, 90 + lb. I am also unsuccessful, since I have some serious complications which have caused me a lot of stress, pain and disappointment, at least a dozen diagnostic tests in the last year and I need at least one more surgery, maybe 2. I was compliant. That's no guarantee.

This is a big decision, so don't be in a rush. The fact you've been losing steadily since December is significant. 5 months of success is nothing to sneeze at. It means you've made some major lifestyle changes that can be permanent if you choose to continue to eat healthy and exercise. You might be one of the few people who are successful at diet and lifestyle changes, just as I am one of the few people who have Lapband surgery are compliant and still develop major complications through no fault of their own.

you were (not unsuccessful)...you were and are a success..the band had the problem, not you. just wanted to point that out.