Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am nearing the point where I need to make a decision about banding. I entered the weight management program not sure what I wanted to do beyond losing weight. I have been steadily losing since Christmas. Do I keep working on losing and wait or move forward? How do you make that decision?

Hello! I was banded 3/27/13. And for me, it was because of years of yo-yo dieting, and ALWAYS gaining the weight back. I did my research, and decided on the band, because I did not want to re-route my insides and have them cut up. But whatever you decide, make sure you do the research, and do what's best for you. Good luck on your journey.

Unfortunately it is a very personal decison we each have to make. Please talk to your doctor and any other support you have to make the right decision for you. You are the only one who can really make the choice. Best of luck to you.

I got to the point where I couldn't exercise enough, and I couldn't follow weight watchers anymore. I worked my butt off all summer to stay in the low 280's, when fall came and I couldn't bike anymore I went up to 299 by Christmas. I swore to myself that I would never see a 3 in front of my weight again so I knew I had to do something. I started looking at WLS, I compared average weight loss with average complications and decided on the band. While the weight loss for bands is lower than the more drastic surgeries, the band complication and mortality rates are only a fraction of what RNY and VGS are. I looked around for a surgeon, found one with over 900 procedures under his belt and a complication rate that was less than the national average. I have tried every diet and every diet drug on the market, and always gained it back. Today, after a little over three months, I weigh less than I have since I was a freshman in High School, and I am well on my way to achieving my weight loss goal.

Quite honestly, I decided I didn't want to die before I was old enough to be a grandma someday. I wanted my life back and I wanted to actually be an active part of my family's lives not a bystander. I didn't want to spend my life a fat, miserable, bitter woman watching my life go by without me.

All of the above for me.lol

I was like you and had started yet another diet and was doing well. Right up to the night before surgery, I was second guessing myself. I then realized it was the same old, same old. Lose the weight, gain it back plus some. I couldn't afford to do that anymore. Like Missy, I needed my life back.

You are the only one who can decide if you've had enough yoyo dieting.

Glad I went ahead with it. In the past, I had always given up by now. Now I'm looking forward to making my goal for the first time ever.

Good luck on any decision you make. Stick around and get a really good education on what the band can do and what it can't do.

as all the others have stated, it's a personal decision. I don't know how old you are and how long you have had a weight issue.. but, I had tried every diet and weight loss gimmick ever invented.. I lost and gained weight for 25 years..I never thought I was obese,, but when I got to the point of having to go on medication for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I knew I had to do something. This is the first time I actually feel I will be successful with losing weight and getting healthy.. I do not feel deprived,, I have a lot of energy and am looking forward to getting a new lease on life.. I am 66 and have grandchildren . I want to be able to take them places and do things with them instead of sitting on the sidelines because I am too fat to move... It has not been an easy journey and I am not at my goal . You must do your homework, make sure you are ready for this life changing event.

I would have to agree with everyone above in the posts. I am pretty new to this (banded on 4/11/13) but have friends who opted for the band, gastric route en y and also the sleeve. Those with the gastric re-route have had nothing but problems with being literally sick all the time and the mal-absorption of Vitamins and mineral fight....in short, they look like hell!! Those with the sleeve haven't done so well either. But all of my banded friends have done so well that I am extremely jealous of them and can't wait to get to where they are today. I want my life back and to be free from obesity, have more energy, only one size clothes in my closet (instead of keeping my yo-yo sizes), and just know that I will be more healthy in the long run. Research is the key for you.....compare all the good and bad for all the surgeries and your choice will be simple. But never take fast weight loss over slow.....the slower you lose, the longer it will stay gone.....It's not a race....but more of a complete lifestyle change. Old habits die hard....but kicking their butt is easy when you see the benefits it provides you.......Good luck!!! :D

Tess you are loosing on your own, continue on that path. There are many people that do it that way, who's to say that you cannot do it. Any WLS is and should be the last choice for anyone. There are many people that are overweight but are not miserable. Read about it and do your research, go into all the forums positive and negative. And go from there. Best of Luck in your journey which ever route you take, the journey is a life long commitment and if you can do it with the band you can do it without the band. Remember the band doesn't guaranteed success only you can do that.

I did not mention my age, but I will be 49 in June. I have been as high as 274 and not below 207 in over 20 years. I have lost 30 gained it all back plus. I have lost 35-40 three times, each time hitting a plateau then gaining it back, plus more. I lost 50 pounds in 2004 and kept it off two years only to gain most of it back over a 6 month period of time after starting medication for fibromyalgia. I have high blood pressure, controlled by medication. I have high cholesterol, controlled by medication. I am pre diabetic have acid reflux all in addition to obesity. Since the last time I lost I have worked out three to four times a week. I am afraid the loss will never stick, and it will just continue. I know it is a personal decision, but it is a tough one.

I did not mention my age' date=' but I will be 49 in June. I have been as high as 274 and not below 207 in over 20 years. I have lost 30 gained it all back plus. I have lost 35-40 three times, each time hitting a plateau then gaining it back, plus more. I lost 50 pounds in 2004 and kept it off two years only to gain most of it back over a 6 month period of time after starting medication for fibromyalgia. I have high blood pressure, controlled by medication. I have high cholesterol, controlled by medication. I am pre diabetic have acid reflux all in addition to obesity. Since the last time I lost I have worked out three to four times a week. I am afraid the loss will never stick, and it will just continue. I know it is a personal decision, but it is a tough one.[/quote']

Jess all I know is what I've experienced and tomorrow makes one month post op for me. It's been the most miserable month of my life. I've followed all the rules, even lost twenty pounds in less then a month. But between the stabbing, burning, paralyzes, shoulder pains, coughing, sneezing, sinuses, and back pain, I want to cry. among other things. i don't wish this misery on anyone, however there are plenty people that will tell you different because not being fat is all they care about. Me personally my perspective has changed. At 47 I don't want to be in so much discomfort because I want to be more appealing to other people. But that's just me. I decides I'm not going to sugar coat it anymore. I'm just telling the truth my truth.

I appreciate the honesty. I know, to the extent I can, that the first months are hard. My reason for doing it would only be for me. My husband of 24 years loves me for who I am, not how I look, regardless of my weight. I began to explore this last winter after my father had his leg amputated as a result of Type 2 diabetes. He struggled for years with burning and tingling in his legs and may need another amputation. This is not the path I want to go down. For me, while I will enjoy some of the benefits of WLS, the only person to do it for is me.

I also have fibromyalgia. A lot of my weight gain over the years can be attributed to lack of energy , reduced activity level, and my reactions to medications. I was banded on 4/17/13 .... So far, so good. I can no longer take CymbLta because its a capsule . Hoping it won't make too much of a negative difference . My other meds are all crushable. One positive thing is that by crushing my generic ambien it works much faster and better. I've gotten better sleep this week than I have in a long time. Because I was so much lighter when I developed fibromyalgia I know that weight loss isn't a cure but I am also looking forward to the energy I'm sure to gain by not having to carry around so much excess weight. I'm really glad to see someone else here with fms because some of our challenges might be a little different than those of others. I hope all goes well for you !

Regarding the post from someone about being miserable.. if I had that many problems for a month I would contact my Dr. I had my surgery on Jan 15, 2013.. I had about a week of some gas pains in my shoulder which I used a heating pad and moving to alleviate.. the other issues you are having are probably not typical... It's not a piece of cake (excuse the pun) but it's by far better than having your limbs amputated from diabetes or having heart disease from being too fat... I made my choice and have not regretted it... I still believe from my experience with others in my support group who had rny and sleeve that I made the best choice... Nothing anyone says should deter you from doing what is the best solution to your weight problem... Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

As far as diabetes is concerned the only WLS proven to literally cure it is the gastric bypass . There's are plenty articles about it right here on this site. Also as for as that post that said I should see my doctor, that's a bit presumptuous to think that I didn't go to my two week follow up. In any case if what I'm experiencing with the band one month post op is what life is after the band it's wicked. It would be extremely wicked of me not to share my experience. I refuse to be be that selfish.