Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to turn in a doctors note to my employer to take a few days off for lap band surgery. I don't want anyone at work to know and would like the note to be as discrete as possible. Can anyone give advise on this? Also, what are you telling co-workers? Thanks.

I think anything between you and your employer is suppose to be confidential. Many people know at my work place because half has had it done themselves. Great support system as well.

I took 3 days of vacation, told my coworkers zip,zero,nada. If you don't want anyone to know then don't tell anyone otherwise they'll tell 2 friends and so on and so on and so on. Your boss/ human resources can get themselves into a hot mess if they share your medical history with anyone. Maybe some people feel comfortable getting it all out to those at work, but not me. This is all about me and I wanted to keep it that way.

My Dr. Note just said I would be under his care and would be out for two weeks, giving the date I would return. I only told a few people at work(close friend) and if any one says anything because they notice I am losing, I just say thanks and a working hard and am exercising. I hope your journey goes well and good luck.

I'm sure the doctor is use to this request so express your desires to him so that he can draft a discreet letter. He'll probably make mention that you are a post-operative patient that will require an estimate of 10-18 days of leave for proper recovery and is unable to work at this time under doctor's orders. Something like that.

I didn't tell anyone other than a handful of trusted family/friends. I didn't want to be bothered with having to educate everyone on the LB time and time again, especially for those whom I couldn't trust would be understanding or supportive. If asked what you are doing to lose weight...say high Protein and low fat LMAO

I feel that lying to people really isn't right for me, I am proud to have this surgery, I call my lapband "Leonard" so I say diet, exercise and Leonard my trainer....if they ask who Leonard is then I say my lapband, if they ask, I tell them to go on line or talk to their doctor. As for work, it is no ones business, I do want to say that everyone is different, my doc told me that office job people generally return to work after a week.....omg...I am just a week post op and cannot even think about returning to work....don't think 3 days is gonna be realistic. I remember when Star Jones lost all her weight and other stars too, but I remember her, when she lost it and said she did it with diet and exercise and then it came out she had a bypass everyone called her a liar and it hurt her integrity, I am not divulging the info but if someone asks I tell them....good luck!

because of my position i had to let HR know but i also realize that private is not always confidential. some people just got big mouths and some did not .the majority of my office thought i took a week off and went to our lake house.

if you want it private, tell your employer you wish to not tell anyone else as it is your business

i did tell a couple of friends and my hub..he mentioned to a couple of his friends..i was mad at first, more so because i was embarrassed but he said he told because he was proud of me

i agree with mikeswife, if they ask, you are eating better and getting healthy, that is NOT lying and its the truth...

My boss is very discrete, so it wasn't a big deal. He believes that an employees business is theirs, so he kept it private. However, I had to fill out paper work with his secretary and she had a big mouth and if anyone ask she told them what I did.

I was ticked at first, but now I am like whatever. It's no biggie. I would be more worried if I was failing at this, but I'm not so I am happy to tell others about it. Especially, I like to talk to others that this surgery could help.

Kime-Lou, I would tell that secretary where to go!

Personally, I didn't mind telling people. If they asked I told them. I am very proud of the success and support I have had from everyone. Everyone still thinks Ian losing and I just tell them, no trying to maintain. I just think they are so used to seeing me heavy for years!

Best of luck to you and tell who ever you want to and don't tell if you don't want to. It is your journey!