Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fast food and alcholic drinks??

My surgery is 3-22 and need advise on this.... Fast food what is best eat and alcoholic drinks how many? Thanks

I would avoid fast food for quite a while after surgery. I still can eat very little of it. As for Alcohol, empty calories. Not recommended during post-op phase, when you do use, count the calories.

Fast food for me is a ready mixed Protein shake!

I am a little concerned that you have not yet had the surgery and you are already thinking about fast food and alcohol. This is a big step. It is about getting healthy. It is about working with your band to ensure that you get the best outcome.

Alcohol and fast food are not going to be the way to get that outcome.

I understand all that but I am bound to end up at some point having to choose either or and just wanted advise on it.

I understand all that but I am bound to end up at some point having to choose either or and just wanted advise on it.

I eat Wendy's chili. Also wine is a good choice but limit yourself to 1 glass if you can

Thank you :) that's what I wanted to know. I still want to enjoy a social life and wanted to know what to drink. I don't think my post reads the way I intended it... Grrr

Thank you :) that's what I wanted to know. I still want to enjoy a social life and wanted to know what to drink. I don't think my post reads the way I intended it... Grrr

Understood. I try to avoid fast food. It's high calorie, fairly low satiety, and loaded with who knows what that would probably gross me out if I knew it was in my food. If I'm forced into it, I also try to go for Wendy's chili. The important thing is that whatever you choose, control your portion size and count your calories. And still practice small bites and slow chewing.

As far as alcohol goes, it's a similar story-- control your portions and count the calories. Wine is, in my opinion, the best bet. It's socially acceptable to nurse a glass of wine forever, you have a variety of flavors and styles to choose from, and it's not mixed with anything carbonated or high in sugar/calories to add to its negative impact. Also, there are proven health benefits to red wine in particular, provided it's consumed in moderation (1 glass per day).

Don't be surprised or insulted by people who caution you after reading this type of question. In the end, everyone just wants to help you succeed.

Good luck!

After 3 1/2 yrs, I can eat whatever I want, including fast food. Just had KFC last nite (2 chicken popper-thingies, 1/2 thing of mashed potatoes and 1/2 biscuit). The rest is for 2 more meals. Tonite I plan on having a few btes of hubbys Chinese food that we eat at poker. I would avoid fast food for a few months tho, until you actually a=have restriction (most likely 2-4 fills), you're bound to go overboard, cuz you'll still be able to eat just pre surgery. I didn't drink alcohol for about 4 mths, then I got tipsy on a few sips of wine. Now, I drink maybe once a month I'll have a margarita or glass of wine. I can process it alot better now than in the beginning.

My very first REAL food after the liquid and mushy stage was a Burger King cheeseburger. I could kick myself for doing that. Hindsight is 20/20 however. I don't recommend you follow in my steps. Do as I say, not as I do!

Good luck on your surgery!

Marci

Wendy's small chili is a good pick like someone else mentioned and Arby's roast beef, plain and no bread is a good pick too. It's low fat, high Protein, and yummy :).

The biggest dangers of alcohol are the empty calories and the likelihood excessive drinking can lead to other things like over eating and vomiting.

Once your all healed up if you were able to stop yourself at 1 drink when drinking socially before the surgery talk to your surgeon but you should be able to do the same.

Wine is a good suggestion but so is scotch. No one thinks anything of a person sipping a glass of Scotch for hours on end. Most expensive hard liquors have complex flavor notes that allow you to enjoy them slowly (except vodka since the better it is the more it tastes like water).

The carbonation in beer means extra complications and the additional calories in cocktails (as well as the fact their designed to hide how drunk your getting) make them a poor choice generally.

well to me fast food is full of sodium and grease....one reason i got to my all time highest

food is meant to be enjoyed, but eating better quality foods is better than fast food any day...

wish you luck

I had seen something about drinking and WLS and it said that since the stomach is smaller it takes less to get drunk. Ask your doctor and or dietitian about everything you say you will miss. I use have a pint of ice cream almost every night, I don't have the urge to even have any. Your taste may change. You can have fun in a group without drinking. I do not drink or smoke (never smoked) and always had a great time in my younger years.

Good luck with your choices.

Thanks all! This all helps because like I said I know activities come up in life where fast food or drinking is involved and all the advise helps. :)

Thanks all! This all helps because like I said I know activities come up in life where fast food or drinking is involved and all the advise helps. :)

Just because times come up doesn't mean you have to induldge. My losing stage was 22 months and I might have had 5 drinks during that time..not because ii wanted to but because I didn't NOT want to lose that day!!. Most often I drank Water with lots of lemon in a pretty glass. No one cared.

As far as fast food... Usually I would select a salad...maybe with grilled chicken on it or in times where the choices are limited like taco bell.... I would have a chicken burrito and eat the Insides with a fork. Way too many calories in the tortilla. As for burger places... Some now offer chicken without the breading so that's a good choice...or check out the kids meals and stay away from the bread.< /p>

Life doesn't stop because you are dieting.... There are always good choices to make.