Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO! NEW HERE! Scared to try Lap Band! Any stories to go for or against would be SOO HELPFUL!

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

My name is Christa i am 20 years old and have been sadly overweight since i turned 14. I am a very active person with a horrible appetite that has led me to over eating when I am alone. I have over the years tried numerous weight loss attempts ex: Weight Watchers , Gym membership , Weight loss supplements , Doctor controlled diet , prescribed diet pills , exercise groups , and even a personal trainer.

I don't want to go trough my 20's living like I am. I want so badly to feel youthful during my youth. And never be held back from a camping trip because of swimming.

My insurance recently approved for me to have Lap Band surgery and i have my eye set on a surgeon

( J. Christopher Eagon, MD) out of Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis MO

I would like to know others experiences good or bad on lap band.

Also what will i need to expect on this long journey ( Tips tricks ) From before surgery to during surgery to after surgery.

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

post-349584-13813141251939_thumb.jpg

Welcome Christa! Please continue to research all your options. Look at the complications forums on all the various surgeries. At your age I would choose VSG over Lapband, just comparing restrictive surgeries only. If your surgeon only does bands, find a surgeon who does VSG, DS to get a better perspective.

I'm nearly 3 years out and like many others started experiencing complications at the 18 month point, although I was completely compliant. You're young and healthy now, choose carefully.

Hi Christa and welcome!

I personally would highly recommend the Lap Band. Unlike Gastric Bypass or the Sleeve, it doesn't re-route your healthy intestines nor does it hack out 3/4 of your stomach. Plus, with the Lap Band there's no dumping, more malabsorbtion issues, and it's reversible. At your age, I personally wouldn't want do anything so drastic as the Sleeve or Gastric Bypass. Heck, I'm almost 20 years older than you and I could justify doing anything that drastic to my body either.

I have lost 195 pounds in 14 months and I'm still losing. I absolutely love my band, it's the best decision I've ever made for myself. My only regret is that I didn't do it many years sooner.

Educate yourself on the Lap Band. Learn what to expect, what not to expect, and what you'll have to do to succeed. Education will be your best asset when making this decision and facts should weigh more heavily on your decision than any anecdotal evidence you may see here.

Best wishes with whatever you decide :)

I am down 32 pounds in just 2 months. I recommend lapband over the other options because it is reversible. My daughter is 18 and we are looking at doing it for her this summer. She is very active but like you just can't shake the extra weight. The best word of advice I would offer is be sure you are totally committed to the process. The complications from not following the plan are serious.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Im 5 weeks out and almost down 30 lbs. (i lost a lot of weight on the pre op diet).

Its a big decision. One that i had to really think about. I read all of the possibilities of things going wrong and was scared by it. I decided ti go ahead and get banded.

Even if in five years, ten years or even six months if something horrible happens and i have to get the band removed then i figured it was worth it. Obesity is a huge problem and i was headed up and up the scale. I couldnt stop. I woulda died or even if not died i woulda continued to live my life in the corner, quiet, and blending in with the crowd. I wanted to be invisible. So even if the worst comes and i have complications or have to get iy taken out im going to be thankful for the new life its let me enjoy. And continue to have.

Its a decision only you can make. People on this forum tend to be more positive which is great but to find the complications and risks youll have to google or youtube.

Hope this helped. Message me if you need anything!!!

Hello! I too chose the band.( well I will be banded the 19th. For me it was removing or rerouting my insides. I figure at 32 I have a lot of years left and wanted the least invasive route. Ultimately it is your decision and you get to make the call on what is right for you!

Hi Christa! There are LOTS of video blogs on Youtube and I have spent weeks watching video after video and have found so many common factors among the success stories. I feel like the complications are out there no matter what method of weight loss you choose....or don't choose. I have been considering the band for several years and put it off due to the "risks" ... but those risks are a slim possibility and I know that the risks that come with being overweight are guaranteed for me at this point. So, I'm choosing to take the risk and do EVERYTHING I can do be a success story. There is risk in everything we do in life and I want to be out there experiencing life instead of hiding at home in shame. I can not wait to get my band. I think that once you decide you will know without a doubt you are doing the right thing for yourself...you shouldn't make the decision to do it until you are confident because it is a big commitment.

Welcome!

I'm going into my 7th year of being a "Bandster". If I had to do it over again I would do it again in a minute. I have no regrets at all. I was self-pay and it was worth every penny.

The lapband has saved my life. don't feel like I'm missing out on ANYTHING. I can eat anything in moderation except rice, apple skins and no carbonated beverages.

I started with a 54" waist and am now a 32" waist and have been able to maintain my weight with no issues at all... I'm actually below my goal.

I guess my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs.

I don't think it is very helpful when someone who hasn't had a sleeve tries to promote 1. By all means MsMaui go ahead and tell your experience with the band by do not try to sound like an expert on something that you have no personal experience with.

Banded almost 4 years. No complications. Got to goal in approx 6 months. Lost a little more and maintained for 2 years. Have regained a couple of pounds in the last year but my BMI is still well within the normal range. Any regrets with the band - yes, that i didn't have it done sooner.,

any WLS has good and bad and there are pros and cons.

you will have some that have complications and some that have none.

you will also have people who are widely successful as they follow their dr's instructions and then you have people who do not do as well and blame everyone/everything (including elvis) that its the bands fault..those are the ones who are the most negative usually.

regardless of which you get, the band, the sleeve, the bypass , the ds whatever, you must chance how and what you eat....exercise and develop a want to attitude... to want to lose weight bad enough to do what you have to do to lose weight...putting all excuses, high school drama behind and get on with it.

the band is not overly hard (and its not overly easy) but if you help this tool the dr gives you, you can be successful.....that choice is up to you.

HI Christa....

I am new here as well. Not a member of the banded club yet. I have my first consult March 21. I have researched and researched but all the research in the world doesn't add that personal touch....until I stumbled across this site. I have read many posts, asked a few questions and have had some of my fears calmed. I still have a few, and questions as well but I am sure they will be or have been answered. Anyway, good luck on your journey..we may "meet" along the way!

Lisa

Just to clarify' date=' you can follow the plan exactly and have complications.[/quote']

In an argument to this, if you do come across complications., there are options and solutions..

The band can be adjusted, replaced, or removed.

With sleeve and bypass, what option do you have? Reattach the stomach tissue that was removed? Reroute the intestines and pray they work?

As for tips and tricks the most consistent factor in being successful with the band appears to be adopting the needed behavioral changes. I would encourage you to look at the post op diets available on line and practice following those guidelines before the surgery. Find effective ways to slow your eating, practice not drinking during meals, practice ordering smaller portions and leaving food on your plate, make sure you are in the habit of exercising regularly, and of course practice eating only when you're hungry and recognizing when you're full. I would also encourage you to start tracking your food for calories and nutrition any of us use MyFitnessPal.com and would be happy to friend you which allows you to see what we eat.