Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my band one week ago..had trouble for the first five days getting enough calories to not feel faint.I went to the dr after five and had lost 10lbs...this evening I was bad and took a couple of big gulps of coke...it didnt come back up and Didn't Bother me..also had a couple spoons of liquid cheese soup...I know this is not good for me and won't make it a habit but just wondering why that stuff hasn't bothered me....surely I don't need a fill already?

Fluids will always pass through with no problem with or without a fill and even if you're in the green zone.

You were just banded a week ago and you're drinking Coke? Carbonation? Are you trying to rip out the stitches in your stomach and cause a slip?

If you know it's "not good" then why do it?

Call your doctor and talk to him. I think you need a much better understanding of the band and how not to hurt yourself, especially during the post op phase. I say this with all sincerity because I am honestly afraid you're going to hurt yourself. You didn't go through all this surgery just to be injured.

Please, call your doctor and talk to him.

You were just banded a week ago and you're drinking Coke? Carbonation? Are you trying to rip out the stitches in your stomach and cause a slip?

Call your doctor and talk to him. I think you need a much better understanding of the band and how not to hurt yourself, especially during the post op phase. I say this with all sincerity because I am honestly afraid you're going to hurt yourself. You didn't go through all this surgery just to be injured.

Such a bully, did u have to respond like that? Of course he/she doesn't want to rip out the stitches.... U always so negative!

Such a bully, did u have to respond like that? Of course he/she doesn't want to rip out the stitches.... U always so negative!

Because I would hate to see them rip out their sutures and end up back in surgery.

You should really get some common sense.

Drinking carbonation expands the pouch and can cause band slippage this early on. I would say not to do it again. You were given post op instructions and I would follow them completely so that you can have the best recovery.

Hoping nobody yells at me, but I could swear someone I met who is 8 years post op said they can have an occasional soda. I was told to avoid all carbonation.

Eventually the band and your stomach become more fully integrated and can handle more fluctuation but early on things like carbonation and rapid eating are more likely to cause the band to move and during the first few weeks after post op there is actual risk of harm due to the stomach still healing from the stress of surgery.

If you really feel you need the calories the safe way to get them is in Liquid Protein most people drink Protein Shakes made with skim or soy milk and flavored Protein Powder. The Protein will help you feel fuller and help your stomach heal. But I agree you should talk to your surgeon or nutritionist about adjusting your diet rather than going rogue again.

It was two swallows of coke..I have more than done my part so far was just wondering why it didn't come back up..a buddy of mine said if you gulp any liquids it would come back up. The liquid cheese Soup had calories and fat but for the most part the first week I have been very very weak from lack of calories so I didn't feel as bad about that.

It was two swallows of coke..I have more than done my part so far was just wondering why it didn't come back up..a buddy of mine said if you gulp any liquids it would come back up. The liquid cheese Soup had calories and fat but for the most part the first week I have been very very weak from lack of calories so I didn't feel as bad about that.

Calories and fat from the cheese Soup aren't an issue while your healing.. Your body needs both fat and calories to function properly and even to lose weight.. So if you calculate it into your daily calories its fine (i love broccoli and cheese soup) but u have to watch your sodium. Your Soups should all be low sodium after surgery.

you should not be having any carbonation period. It's extremely dangerous combined with the swelling and raw stitches. You can have no sugar added juice added to your Protein shakes instead of Water.. That increases your calories in a healthy safe way.

Whether things come back up or not will be different for every person based on things like stomach chemistry, gag reflex, esophageal strength, and certain brain functions. You shouldn't depend on that reaction as your trigger that you're full. It's completely possible for some people to simply ignore the band and expand their pouch to the point they effectively have 2 stomachs stacked on top of each other.

The pouch above the band will expand naturally but we don't want to hurry that process along since while the pouch is small it will help us feel full sooner.

i dont think you were being a bully

you talk common sense and i happen to agree with you

people who divert knowingly off course are the ones who do protest the loudest against those who adhere and are (losing).

Fred is right. Don't expect your experiences to mirror someone else's. There are some basic rules that should be followed to avoid injuring yourself or the integrity of the surgery. Follow your surgeon's instructions.

tmf

Damn this is a forum for support. Stip judging people because they made a mistake. She knows she did. She should just move on from it.

Sounds like your not stocked up with the Right foods. Do u have veggies? V8's maybe? sugar free juices? Stuff for smoothies etc?

Make sure u set yourself up for success. I was in the same boat right after surgery. I was barely hungry and had yo force myself to eat. Your body needs nutrients to heal properly. Coke and cheese Soup isnt going to give ur body what it needs. Make sure to pack ur fridge with a variety of food so u can be successful!

Best of luck to u! If u ever need someone to talk to u can email me. Instead of listening to people ridicule you!