Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gardening Questions and Pictures

M -

How much do you charge? I need some yard work done... hehe :party:

Your place is awesome! Looks like your babies enjoy it too. I bet you have lots of wild birds that visit your place.

You guys are giving us fantastic ideas!!! I even showed these pictures to Mike. He likes this stuff as much as I do.

do any of you find that yard beautifing is addicting??? The more flowers/plants I buy, the more I want. :phanvan

The fur babies are poms. The white one was a puppy mill rescue. Her name is Lilly but I usually call her CHILI BEAN. Since this photo we had to have an eye removed due to injury she received in the puppy mill. She was three when rescued. A lady adopted her from the SPCA and brought her back after a week. Said she whined in her CAGE. Duh she just got rescued from living three years in a cage. PLUS she had a UTI. She couldn't walk two steps without squatting and trying to pee. So she is my special special baby.

The orange is Buffy and we have her brother Rowdy. I also have a Yorkie that a lady that works with my husband didn't want because she was six months old and not housebroken and they were trying to sell their house. They were going to take her to the pound. NOT!!!!!!!!

My fifth dog is a sixteen year old dachshund that was the victim of divorce at the age of ten when the former owners dumped her at the animal shelter because neither one wanted her. She is a marvelous senior dog and still going strong.

Now lets talk cats. I have ELEVEN. All animal shelter/stray rescues. I guess I just can't say no.

I am currently homeschooling my 15 y/o daughter. So my gardening time has really been reduced. My philosophy is plant reseeders and let'm go.

However I LOVE ANTIQUE ROSES and have a fraction over a 100.

Myra

100 different types of roses??? wow.

speaking of Roses!

My 5 yr old wants a rose bush.

I live in SW Louisiana - very hot and humid summers. What type of rose bushs do any of you recommend?

Paula I would suggest you look at the Antique Rose forum on Garden Web. There are several very active posters from your neck of the woods on it. High humidity which leads to blackspot is a larger consideration for roses and they make a point to share their successes. Roses have a prima donna rep but really if you get the right rose for your yard they are wonderful. Antiques don't generally require the intensive spray programs and such as modern roses. I don't spray my roses but I carefully select them. I order most for the Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham Texas. I gotta run but I will post more later. Also Texas A & M has put out a list of EARTHKIND roses that have undergone intentionally neglectful testing to see which are true survivors. I will see if I can find a list of them for you. Myra

Gosh I love the country cottage looking garden...its so lively. What a perfect place to relax!

We have Koi...not too many big ones right now as we had a Herion using our pond as an all you can eat buffet recently. Our biggest ones right now are only about 7-8 inches long. Our biggest ones last year were about 10 inches long.

I don't know what the ground cover is called but right now its very green with very pretty purple flowers on it. I've notieced it transplants very well, as my friend wanted some for her yard, and now its taking over there too LOL. Her fault ya know. HEHEHE

Oh my goodness....your daughter is so precious!! Lovely petunias too!!

Dragonwillow ~ Could your ground cover be creeping phlox? Mine is starting to bloom. They tend to creep, hence the name.

Paula here is the website for the Earthkind Roses.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkindrose/index.html

If I had to chose one rose for best disease resistance, form and ease of care off the list it would be the Belinda's Dream Rose.

Here is the address for Garden Web.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

Here is the address to the Antique Rose Emporium a good source for roses.

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/

Enjoy!

Myra

Hey Carola, I would LOVE some of those hibiscus seeds. Think they will take in this area??

Heather, I have one of those plants. Actually I have several. I L O V E them. Keep in mind, they love the sun and Water. They DO look alot like Petunia's, but they are actually called something like, calamantra?, something with a "cal" beginning (could be a type of petunia?). I cant remember the exact name.

And they also droop. wow. So I prefer them in a flower pot (or hanging basket)high enough to see the beauty of them drooping. They make such beautiful flowers. I have purple, red, yellow AND peach colored. Can you tell I love em?

I'll post my pictures later as an "edit" to this post.

Myra, thanks a zillion for those links. You sure dont know much about roses, do you... :biggrin1: (LOL)

Im scared to get one - scared Im not going to be able to maintain it! Thanks for the recommendation! Ill let you know what I find.

post-204070-13813133189875_thumb.jpg

oh, and Heather,

The baby girl in the middle of your pic is the best flower on this thread! :bounce: What a cutie pie!

Paula,

They are Happy Dreams Petunias. They are a variety of petunias. We have Impatiens, Wave Petunias, Vincas, Wave Vincas, Marigolds, and Blue Salvia in our yard. (My mother owns a nursery, most beautiful plants in South Texas)

I will have to ask my mother the exact name of them, you are right that they aren't plain Petunias... but a variety of them...

Heather, I have one of those plants. Actually I have several. I L O V E them. Keep in mind, they love the sun and Water. They DO look alot like Petunia's, but they are actually called something like, calamantra?, something with a "cal" beginning (could be a type of petunia?). I cant remember the exact name.

And they also droop. wow. So I prefer them in a flower pot (or hanging basket)high enough to see the beauty of them drooping. They make such beautiful flowers. I have purple, red, yellow AND peach colored. Can you tell I love em?

Thanks! She is going to be 1 next Thursday... I didn't believe it when everyone told me how time would fly by. She is little miss independent now. She loves to be outside!!! Thank goodness!

oh, and Heather,

The baby girl in the middle of your pic is the best flower on this thread! :bounce: What a cutie pie!

Gosh--there sure are some beautiful gardens here. Don't you wish we could have a LBT Garden Tour?

How true!

Betty and Pat have gardens that would knock our socks off... wish they would show us what they got! :confused:

Heather, I just added my picture to my above post. I guess they arent the same plant?

You can see from my newly added picture - they sure look alot alike!