Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories

I'm gonna have to start doing that.(: thank you!

In my opinion, you need to eat real food. The band works best when you have hard Protein. It keeps you full for longer, and lean Protein is low calorie (if that's what you're worried about).

My dr had very few rules but a big one was 'don't drink your calories' because liquids go through your band fast. And personally I think a person can't live off Protein shakes for their whole lives, so it's a good idea to learn how to prepare and eat good quality food that will be something you take with you for not just now, but into the many years you will have to maintain your weight.

I just did a liquid diet after a fill and I can tell you I was hungrier on Optifast than I am on hard protein despite the two having a comparable number of calories. This is the time for you to make lifelong change. A protein shake diet is (in my opinion) not sustainable for a lifetime.

You're absolutely right. I need to start doing that. It is a life change. Thank you!(:

In my opinion, you need to eat real food. The band works best when you have hard Protein. It keeps you full for longer, and lean Protein is low calorie (if that's what you're worried about).

My dr had very few rules but a big one was 'don't drink your calories' because liquids go through your band fast. And personally I think a person can't live off protein shakes for their whole lives, so it's a good idea to learn how to prepare and eat good quality food that will be something you take with you for not just now, but into the many years you will have to maintain your weight.

I just did a liquid diet after a fill and I can tell you I was hungrier on Optifast than I am on hard protein despite the two having a comparable number of calories. This is the time for you to make lifelong change. A protein shake diet is (in my opinion) not sustainable for a lifetime.

I totally agree with lellow, i have lost all my weight with no protien shakes at all, i think its a marketing thing in the US they certainly dont push Protein Shakes in the Uk.. Just eat good nutritional food at whatever level calories u burn best at, normally around 1000 - 1200 and u will lose weight but also remain healthy :)

Might be an idea to see a nutritionist tho, these are just opinions from members normally based on experience so its up to you how far you take it, but always seek your own medical / nutritional advice if you need to .. Good luck with the number crunching on the calories :)

Thank you. VERY informative! You guys are the best!(:

I totally agree with lellow, i have lost all my weight with no protien shakes at all, i think its a marketing thing in the US they certainly dont push Protein shakes in the Uk..

Yeah I'd never even heard about having Protein Shakes to supplement Protein until I joined this forum. It's definitely not something that is 'done' in Australia either.

When I started out I ate 1000 cal a day strictly. I lost 115 lbs in 7 months. Did not exercise a lot. Maybe 1-2 times a week.

Wow. Congrats! That's awesome! I'm gonna start doing that.(:

My dr had very few rules but a big one was 'don't drink your calories' because liquids go through your band fast. And personally I think a person can't live off protein shakes for their whole lives, so it's a good idea to learn how to prepare and eat good quality food that will be something you take with you for not just now, but into the many years you will have to maintain your weight.

I just did a liquid diet after a fill and I can tell you I was hungrier on Optifast than I am on hard protein despite the two having a comparable number of calories. This is the time for you to make lifelong change. A Protein shake diet is (in my opinion) not sustainable for a lifetime.

I am completing my after fill diet tonight and I make my shakes into very thick shakes by using lots of ice. It becomes thick as a McDonald's shake and they do fill me for 4-6 hours. I also use 2 scoops of the powder so i am getting 52 grams of protein in each shake.

That's a good tip, thanks, dylanmiles, I'll remember it for after my next fill. But I still wouldn't depend on it as my main food source nonetheless.

I only did shakes during my postop diet. I'd rather eat my calories than drink my calories.

You have gotten great advice above already. I just wanted to add I was just told this week that calories should be in the range of 800-1200. I too use MyFitnessPal app and it's great!

I'm gonna have to start taking in at least 800 calories. Thank you so much!

My calories are on the low side too, between 700 and 900 a day...I try to get in more but I'm just not that hungry so I focus on getting 80 grms of Protein and a lot of Water, also, I'm 2 months post op and I still have a Protein Shake a day...nothing wrong with that! :)

Jay what does your dr tell you to eat.?