Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone that doesn't get fills

I had band with plication and I only have 1cc total in my band and I do not want anymore. I'm happy where it is at and I've lost 113 pounds since may 2012

I had band with plication and I only have 1cc total in my band and I do not want anymore. I'm happy where it is at and I've lost 113 pounds since may 2012

wow!!! great job!! amazing!

That is amazing

I haven't been banded long. Since 12/21. I have a 10.5cc band and no fill. I still can't do one cup of food. I have my 3oz of Protein and very rarely can I have a side veggie or salad. I have no intention of getting a fill anytime soon. I'm down 45lbs total...23 on pre op and 22 more since 12/21. I am very satisfied on the amounts I'm eating and don't snack. I don't know how long this is going to last but I'm definitely going to roll with it and enjoy it!

Banded since July 2011....a year and a half. Never had a fill. Lost 50 lbs. which was okay by me. I do get full faster than before banding and stay longer between meals. I am beginning to snack at night which is dangerous.....so I must control that. Dr. will not give me a fill....says to eat more Protein & veggies....which I am trying to do. Happy with the weight loss and happy with no fill. Do feel restriction so there must be something in the band or just the placement is causing the restriction. Whatever it is....it is working for me.

I had 3.5cc in my band (2 fills) and had it all removed last June. I've been having some problems eating in a "band friendly" way, but still lost 19 lbs without the fill. I'm down 91 lb as of today. Being overly dependent on fills is one of the things that can lead to problems, so if you don't need it, don't get it :)

Your story is amazing. I love hearing that you and carolinagirl have done so well with your band with plication. I have the same thing and was banded January 23rd. I go in for my first fill on Friday and am wondering how that is going to go. I am down 26 lbs since preop. Have been following the nutrition plan almost to a "T" but am starting to get a little hungrier between meals, not starving, but hungry. I am feeling positive though and know I have made a great decision.

Being overly dependent on fills is one of the things that can lead to problems, so if you don't need it, don't get it :)

Sorry just to clarify, what does 'overly dependent on fills' mean exactly? I got fills to get restriction and it took a lot of fills to get to my green zone. And having the correct fill level helped me to maintain my stable weight for 3 years.

That's why I got the band, because to get to my stable weight, I needed to eat very little. I don't understand why anyone would advocate not getting fills to get into the green zone. Sure if you don't need it, great, but for most of us, we got a band to help us to lose the weight, so why wouldn't you use it that way?

Being in the green zone helps weight loss like nothing I've ever done before and since. I encourage people to get the fills they need to get to that point, and sure, if they don't need it, don't get it, but needing it doesn't equate to over-dependence, unless you meant something else?

I'm not talking about getting overtight, that's a different thing. I'm talking about getting the fills you need to let your band work at its optimum. For some people, like me, that requires a lot of fills. I have 7cc in a 10cc band now and can eat as much, as as fast, as I could without the band. I don't, but I could if I wanted to.

I have had the band since 2006. I have never been able to get fills! It causes headaches, shoulder, back, and neck pain! I have not been an extreme success because I gained back 40 pounds of the 100+ pounds I lost within the last 2 years! However, since January I have lost 16 of those pounds. I will say that It's been kind of difficult for me. I do feel hungry between meals and I do eat more than a cup of food per meal. However, I do not go over my 1200 calories a day anymore. I would say that if I didn't have it, I probably would have gained back more than 40 pounds. It sucks that my band doesn't work as hard for me as it does for other, however, it's the hand I've been dealt and I need to deal with it and not dwell on it. I've just had to work differently than some to get there. And I will get there!

MsMaui, on February 12, 2013 - 9:56 PM, said:

Being overly dependent on fills is one of the things that can lead to problems, so if you don't need it, don't get it

Sorry just to clarify, what does 'overly dependent on fills' mean exactly? I got fills to get restriction and it took a lot of fills to get to my green zone. And having the correct fill level helped me to maintain my stable weight for 3 years.

There are some who think that the band will stop them from eating and continue to get fills to the point of being over tight and experiencing "hard stops" every time they eat. Being too tight can and usually does lead to serious complications. I was responding to the OP. You're doing great, so obviously not experiencing any issues, congrats!

That's why I got the band, because to get to my stable weight, I needed to eat very little. I don't understand why anyone would advocate not getting fills to get into the green zone. Sure if you don't need it, great, but for most of us, we got a band to help us to lose the weight, so why wouldn't you use it that way?

I did use it that way for 2 years. I developed complications and it became necessary to unfill my band and the doctor and I were very surprised that I still have restriction and I'm still losing.

Being in the green zone helps weight loss like nothing I've ever done before and since. I encourage people to get the fills they need to get to that point, and sure, if they don't need it, don't get it, but needing it doesn't equate to over-dependence, unless you meant something else.

I'm not talking about getting overtight, that's a different thing. I'm talking about getting the fills you need to let your band work at its optimum. For some people, like me, that requires a lot of fills. I have 7cc in a 10cc band now and can eat as much, as as fast, as I could without the band. I don't, but I could if I wanted to.

I WAS talking about being over tight and thinking that its ok. You can read everyday, the stories of people who keep getting fills or their doctor keeps insisting on fills without a clear understanding of what the green zone feels like.

I hope this clarifies my position, though it was intended to support a newly banded person.

MsMaui' date=' on February 12, 2013 - 9:56 PM, said:

Being overly dependent on fills is one of the things that can lead to problems, so if you don't need it, don't get it

There are some who think that the band will stop them from eating and continue to get fills to the point of being over tight and experiencing "hard stops" every time they eat. Being too tight can and usually does lead to serious complications. I was responding to the OP. You're doing great, so obviously not experiencing any issues, congrats!

I did use it that way for 2 years. I developed complications and it became necessary to unfill my band and the doctor and I were very surprised that I still have restriction and I'm still losing.

Being in the green zone helps weight loss like nothing I've ever done before and since. I encourage people to get the fills they need to get to that point, and sure, if they don't need it, don't get it, but needing it doesn't equate to over-dependence, unless you meant something else.

I WAS talking about being over tight and thinking that its ok. You can read everyday, the stories of people who keep getting fills or their doctor keeps insisting on fills without a clear understanding of what the green zone feels like.

I hope this clarifies my position, though it was intended to support a newly banded person.[/quote']

That makes sense. I hope I can be filled and get into the green zone.

Thank MsMaui for coming back to reply to me, that was a lot clearer, and especially for someone new to the band. I have been on the forum a long time and I have seen people talking about not getting fills to those who need it just because they themselves didn't need fills and I personally think that's irresponsible, so I'm glad it's clear that that isn't what you were inferring.

If you're warning people off from trying to get overtight then I completely agree. Firstly it's a miserable place to be, secondly it's dangerous and thirdly it's counterproductive. Being in the green zone provides the best results, no doubt about it.

Happy to hear you went up to 10 in a 10 band. I think I'm one of those persons who needs a lot of fluids

seeme1954, it's crazy isn't it? I hear about people who only have 2cc in their band, and have enough restriction to lose a tonne of weight. As I went along, I started to think restriction was a myth, coz I didn't feel anything for so long except for the day of the fill itself. Even my dr started saying I had more in than almost anyone else in his surgery.

But I moved states and am seeing a different dr now, and he actually doesn't think it's that uncommon. We're all so different so the band is going to work for us differently too. Hopefully once I get my band replaced, I won't need 10cc in a 10cc band to feel it, but as anyone who has been filled and unfilled or had the band for a long time will tell you, restriction can change over time, and what worked the first time might not work the next time. In fact a lot of veterans I know have struggled with finding their green zone again after a few years, or if they've had to be unfilled.