Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who have you told and not told?

Who have you told and not told about your weight loss surgery?

What do you say when people say "You look great - how'd you do it?"

And on an unrelated note, what do you say to waiters and waitresses who think you hated your meal?

At the beginning, I only told my parents, brother, children, and 2 close friends.

Now, everyone knows. I'm very open about it.

As far as restaurants that's always kinda funny actually. More than a few times I've had a waitress or waiter say "Oh I'm sorry, did you not like your meal?" because I only eat a quarter of what they bring me. I always just politely assure them my meal was great, I simply had enough. The conversations always ends there.

Who have you told and not told about your weight loss surgery?

What do you say when people say "You look great - how'd you do it?"

And on an unrelated note' date=' what do you say to waiters and waitresses who think you hated your meal?[/quote']

2.5 years out never had a waiter ask me anything. The healthier you eat the smaller the portions they serve. A baked potato is a lot smaller than a serving of fries. Most places you will eat half the serving. Esp. The first six months.

I only eat a quarter or less of what I'm given at a restaurant (1 cup of 4 cups for example) and they often think I hated my meal and it's awkward, so I'm just asking if other people have had that experience. I'm not trying to perpetuate a myth.

I don't think anyone is trying to perpetuate a myth. We can eat more than 3 bites a meal, but restaurants typically serve gigantic portions. As phdizzle said, they serve 4 cup meals and we only need 1 cup of it. I often order off the children's menu and I still eat maybe half of what they bring me.

It does make waiters and waitresses question if something is wrong. They just assume we're going to eat most of what we're brought. When we only eat less than half, they assume it's because we didn't like our meal.

I've had this happen many, many times. Especially if I decline to take home the leftovers.

I only told 1 person at work & it was a guy, LOL... I didn't want to deal with all the questions, etc.... especially from some of the caddy lady co-workers. Nah, let them wonder... :)

When people ask me about my weight loss I simply tell them that I worked with a nutritionist for several months, and am now very mindful of what I eat & how much I eat, and that I also work out. It usually ends there.

As for restuarant's, typically I chuckle at the serving size. They're HUGE. I wind up eating 1/4 cup tp 1/2 cup of food, depending on what it is. I've had waiters ask if the food was good. I politely tell them it was delicious, and ask for a box to take it home.

If anyone asks how I did it, I tell the truth! Watch what I eat, eat smaller portions, and exercise. I don't care if anyone knows, however, I don't share personal issues with people. I like to keep my private life private. I don't share detailed information with acquaintances. That's just my personal choice. As far as waiters and waitresses go, I have been asked if I enjoyed my meal and I just smile and say "my eyes where bigger than my stomach"! Which is the truth! LOL...

A suggestion. My nutritionist suggested that when I go out to eat, I ask for a box at the beginning and automatically put half of the meal in it. That way I won't be tempted to over-eat, and it would also solve the problem of others wondering if I don't like the meal. Going out to eat was a big concern for me. She said that their spokesperson (Penny) actually goes out to Wingers frequently, orders 4 hotwings and celery. I found that reassuring.

Who have I told? My husband, children, and 2 friends. I told my mom I am on a doctor supervised diet, and that is what I plan to tell others when they ask why I'm losing weight. Not telling my husband's family, my siblings, etc. Once I'm successful, I will tell everyone if they want to know. But right now, I don't want the negative comments from people who think they know everything. One of my 2 friends that I have told was very interested in looking into LB for herself. She brought it up to her husband (without telling him I am doing it). He went on a rant about how only lazy people can't lose weight on their own, how people who have WLS always gain the weight they lose back, if not immediately then within years. He was very negative and shut her down quickly. I wonder what he'll have to say to my face when I tell him (way down the road) that I have done the surgery. I'm going to be cringing inside if he plays the oh that's great line. I hate people who say one thing to our faces and another behind our backs. Okay, off my rant.

Cynthia I am in a similar boat. People have way too many negative assumptions about WLS. I wish I was more honest because I feel like I could change their perception, but it's easier not to deal with it!

Everyone at work knows and the all have been rather supportive about it thought I might have a few people that think negatively but it didn't happen.

I thought I wouldn't want to tell anyone but I seem to be telling everyone that asks. I guess I don't really care about the negative comments because ultimately I am bettering myself, if someone doesn't understand that is their problem. I do that for some people the negativity can be a little much. My family was really upset and thought I was doing something way to extreme but now that it's done they are all coming around.

I've told everyone. Everyone. It's all over my Facebook, I have a YouTube channel dedicated to my journey.... Everyone. If I fail now, everyone I know, will know. And that will keep me from failing. It also keeps me encouraged.

If people I know want to be discouraging, let them. I will then know who my real friends are. If they tell me I've cheated? Let them.. All I'm cheating is death. I have no time for negative attitudes.

I've told very few though more than I'd planned - situations arose that caused me to have to come clean.

I plan to wait until I've got something serious to show then I'll tell all. Nothing to hide but I want the story to be as complete as possible, mainly so others who might benefit from this will have proof.