Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOTS of food complications

I was banded 07/07/11 and I have about 4 or 5 cc in my band-I think this is plenty for my size (I'm 4'11). I have a LOT of food restrictions (no red meat, no chicken, no salad, no bread, no potatoes, ect). I pretty much live off avacados and white fish.... I have researched as well has have friends that have been banded and all they complain about is chicken. Does anyone else have a really limited diet? I have asked my doctor to take some out of my band but he will not because he says I should be getting a fill instead of taking out.... HELP ME!

If I were in your shoes, I'd be insisting on a small unfill and considering a new surgeon. Your diet should not be that limited. You're really lucky you haven't gained from having to resort to slider foods- because that happens a lot when someone's band is too tight.

A lot of us have to be super careful when eating certain foods, like meat, but you shouldn't be so restricted that you're existing on white fish and avocado.

Remember, you're in charge. The doctor works for you. Insist on what you know is best and if he won't listen, fire him and find a better one.

Best wishes.

I agree with Missy, a doctor that's unwilling to do an unfill if I want one is not a doctor that I would keep seeing...if you insist and he refuses, I think it's time for a new doctor.....Good luck and best wishes...

Hello. I had the same problem with food restriction. It led to very unhealthy eating for me and lots of vomiting, PBing, and reflux. My doctor refused to listen and continued to fill my band at each visit. He didn't believe me and blamed me for doing something wrong. I suffered for 2 years and now have Vitamin deficiency, gastritis, and esophogitis. Three days ago I saw a new doctor who removed all of the Fluid drom my band to allow my stomach to heal and gave me some meds to help heal the damaged tissue. I am so happy now. I can now eat all of the healthy foods that I could not eat for two years and I feel so much better. I did not lose weight while my band was filled because the only thing that would go down and stay down was junk. I really hope you are able to find a doc quickly who will listen to you and you start feeling better soon.

Hello. I had the same problem with food restriction. It led to very unhealthy eating for me and lots of vomiting, PBing, and reflux. My doctor refused to listen and continued to fill my band at each visit. He didn't believe me and blamed me for doing something wrong. I suffered for 2 years and now have Vitamin deficiency, gastritis, and esophogitis. Three days ago I saw a new doctor who removed all of the Fluid drom my band to allow my stomach to heal and gave me some meds to help heal the damaged tissue. I am so happy now. I can now eat all of the healthy foods that I could not eat for two years and I feel so much better. I did not lose weight while my band was filled because the only thing that would go down and stay down was junk. I really hope you are able to find a doc quickly who will listen to you and you start feeling better soon.

I have 6 cc in a 10cc band and I can eat anything I want except thick goey things (bread or cakes). As long as I chew well I have no problem with any meats.

I am with Missy I would seek a second opnion or just have a plan out ole heart to heart with your current doc.

Ladies, I don't know about you guys but getting a new doc is not that easy. I have no problems with my doc except thatit's a 6 hr round trip journey to see him. So I checked out the local bariatric clinic (which I went to 2 yrs ago for an emergency unfill) (they couldn't originally do my surgery because with Medicare you have to go to a Center of Excellence and it's not) and they want $1,000 just to get my medical records and take me on as a new patient + $300 for every visit thereafter. I don't know about anyone else, but $300 +$1,000 is a chunk of change for me. It's worth it to travel 6 hrs round trip and pay my dr $160 per visit (Medicare only covered fills for 1 yr). This is absolutely not to deter you from finding another dr if needed, just to inform you of the costs involved in changing dr's at this point. Other clinics may have cheaper prices than your own dr or your insurance may pay for you to switch. Just information for you.

Oh, and even when I was the tightest (before my slip 10 mths ago) I could still get down everything (including bread, Pasta, and rice). There is almost nothing I can't tolerate (except pizza crust and pineapple chunks). I did my fair share of vomiting, however (thus the slip!) for over 2 yrs and IT'S ABSOLUTELY NOT IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO CONTINUE ON NOT KEEPING DOWN FOODS. I promise you, you will eventually pay the price. My vomiting wasn't caused by my intolerance to some foods, it was caused by my own resklessness (eating too fast, much, much too fast), but now my band will never be the same. It still works (somewhat, not as good as it used to) and I regret not learning from my frequent vomiting episodes (about 5-10x a week). Thought I was managing my weight by vomiting. I know, I know, that's bulimic thinking. Absolutely not like that anymore. Very rarely vomit anymore (only when I've scarfed something down because I've missed a meal and I'm ravenous).

You definately need to be listened to, whether it be by your dr or a new one. I just wanted to let you know what it sometimes entails to find a new one. Good luck!

Marci

Thanks all! I'm going in tomorrow to see him-NOT his assistant! Hoping its nothing serious-just a tiny unfill.