Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feel like a Lap Band failure?

So I had my surgery on September 10, 2012. I started at 289.8 and the lowest I have gotten down to is 269.2. Right now I am at 277.3. I can eat ANYTHING I want. I don't even feel like I have a band at all. I have only had one fill, which was 2 cc's. Even after that fill, I still didn't get the "full" feeling. I was told that I wouldn't ever be able to drink soda again, hasn't stopped me. It is like I have no will power, the same as I felt before I got the band and one of the reasons I got the band, so I could control my eating by filling full faster and longer. I just feel like a Lap Band failure at this point. I'm supposed to go in for my second fill in February. The doctor told me at my last appointment that I should strive for a 3-4 lb loss. That was 6 weeks ago and I have gained 4 lbs. Seriously, 3-4 lbs in 6 weeks should be EASY. I almost feel like I did on Weight Watchers - dreading to go to the doctor knowing I've gained is like dreading going to the weigh in because you've gained. So bummed right now. :(

I am so very sorry you're struggling.

It sounds to be like quite possibly you weren't given the information you need before your surgery. It seems more often lately, I'm seeing doctors send patients in for the band without properly educating them. Really, it angers me, because then there's people with the band feeling bad and frustrated because no one bothered to explain it to them.

I think possibly the problem may be you're expecting the band to do things it's not supposed to do. As far as soda- it's not supposed to stop you from drinking it. It's your job to not drink it and the reason is because the carbonation can lead to slips. So, no more carbonation, regardless of whether you can physically drink it or not.

The band isn't supposed physically stop you from eating. It's not supposed to give you that full feeling either. In fact, if you're eating until you're full, you're likely over-eating. The band is supposed to keep satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. By doing so, and appeasing your hunger, you're not pre-occupied with food because you're not starving despite eating small amounts.

Please have a look at this link. It explains it all very well and I think it will really help you a lot: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

You're not a failure so please don't beat yourself up. You're only failure if you give up on yourself, and you obviously haven't or you wouldn't be here asking for advice. You just needed someone to give you some good, useful information on how to use the band inside you.

You can do this. Best wishes to you.

I am sorry you arent learning to work with your band. you could have it removed or have a change of heart and start following the rules and make it work for you. I really think those are the only 2 options. I dont know you but its such a great tool when used properly I hope you chose the latter.

But i am Just curious. If you knew you couldn't have soda again because the carbonation is hazardous to its well being and you didn't think you could live with that ...why would you chose band surgery? And do not misunderstand I am not being mean I really just want to understand as I am sure like the rest of us you knew what you were getting into.

I agree with the above posts; I am VERY sorry that you are struggling.

I believe this is a period of time we must all endure known as Bandster HE**.

I had lap band surgery on April 2012, and just got to the Green Zone. . . without restriction, it will seem like another diet.

Please be careful about the soda as carbonation and the band DO NOT get along well. This can lead to issues with your band.

Thanks to you both for responding. I think 50% is my fault and 50% is probably the doctor's fault for not fully explaining everything to me. I thought I had done a lot of research on it before I committed to the surgery, but apparently I missed a few too many things. I did not know that the reason you could not drink soda was because the carbonation could cause a slip. Does anyone know what a slip feels like? I hope I have not done any damage. I don't want to give up on this, not by a long shot. I'm only 4 months out, it isn't too late to turn things around. Fingers crossed!

Thank you SoccerBlue. I know I am not anywhere close to the green zone yet. Thank you also for pointing out that before you get to the green zone, it can feel like dieting. That's what I feel like and I have failed at so many "diets" in the past.

to be a failure, you have to stop trying......so dont stop trying

eat better quality foods in your allotted amount, drink alot and the hardest thing, want it....no more reasons why you cant, only reasons you can

you got this

~hugs~ Hun never to late to change things....

we are all here to support you...get the fill and try as hard as you can to fallow the basic rules...1 c food...proteins first...no sodas...try Water when ever your hungry....its not going to work all the time...but its worth a shot....good luck ...I know its hard.....

I do not have any personal experience as to what a slip feels like; but it is my understanding that you will have severe reflux, heart burn and lots of vomiting.

Make a commitment today to stop all sodas; I was addicted to diet coke and went cold turkey. You can do it too.

Also, I made a monthly appointment for my doctor since my surgery so I have to check in with him and get a fill.

I have an AP Large Lap Band that will hold 14 cc; I am at 9 cc and just hit the Green Zone ---> which took me 9 months ~ whew ~

Thanks to you both for responding. I think 50% is my fault and 50% is probably the doctor's fault for not fully explaining everything to me. I thought I had done a lot of research on it before I committed to the surgery, but apparently I missed a few too many things. I did not know that the reason you could not drink soda was because the carbonation could cause a slip. Does anyone know what a slip feels like? I hope I have not done any damage. I don't want to give up on this, not by a long shot. I'm only 4 months out, it isn't too late to turn things around. Fingers crossed!

Your aren't too late at all.If it were me I would start with my next meal weighing portions and watching calories.... If you stick to 1000 to 1200 calories and about a cup of food at each meal and no soda....you can drop these 4 lbs by the time You go to the dr and get afresh start. You can do it and I have the good feeling you want to..that's 70% of the battle!!

Twinskins...when I went "off the wagon" I too could eat everything I did before! The reason I could do this was because I wasn't following the rules. Are you making sure you dont drink 30 minutes before and after meals? Do you eat very small bites, and eat very slowly? Did you go back to the liquid or mushy stage for a few days after your fill? I regrouped myself and went on the 5 day pouch test after being banded for 6 years. I started following the rules and without a fill I started feeling restriction again. It sounds like you may be doing what a lot of new bandster do. They test the band! Do not give up! Your only a failure if you quit trying! Please give the band a chance by working with it, not against it! Get as much knowledge you can from this site. You will see a lot of people started feeling exactly the same way as you and are now success stories!

Maybe you're just not ready, mentally, to commit to the lifestyle. That's not a failure, but a realization. Try again later.

Soda- it's not you can't you shoudn't it can reek havic on the band.

Just because you can eat a lot doesn't mean you should.

Don't mean to be to harsh but to me this is the hardest thing i have ever done.

You need to follow all of the rules. You have really not been doing this too long and it takes a while till you hit the green zone. You do not need to feel full just satisfied. If you chew chew chew and adhere to the 20-30 min rule you may feel satisfied.

Don't give up the band is a tool not magic you need to work it.

Good luck

Wendy

Some days I feel like a failure. Not because I drink soda (I no longer desire it), but because I make a conscious choice to abandon what I was taught and ignore the rules. I have days where I eat the wrong things and don't exercise. I go through times where I wallow in self pity about how I'm not losing like I did in the beginning. But the one thing I cannot do, no matter how much I want to, is blame my band. It does its job; I am the one not following the rules.

So, that being said, I'm starting over. Following the rules but not throwing in the towel if I slip up. Picking myself back up after a bad day and reminding myself that I lost weight before and I can do it again if I follow the rules and toss out the bad food that goes right through the band. Just because I can eat or drink it doesn't mean I should and I have to get past that.

Make today the day that you start fresh. Follow the rules. Pick one goal this week and start making it happen. Drink 64+ oz of Water. Exercise 15-30 + minutes per day at least 3 times this week. Eat Protein first and stay away from soda and slider foods. Ignore stuff that doesn't help you personally. Every day is a new chance to do what's right.

I'm far from perfect and don't pretend to be, but I can start over and so can you. We all fall short at some point but we aren't perfect.

My goal this week is to drink 64 oz of water daily and exercise 4 days for at least 30 minutes. Already have one exercise session done, now to work on the water. I'm also tossing out the trash (chocolate candy) that is staring at me. It's not in my plan so it's gotta go away or I'll eat it until I am sick to my stomach.

Feel free to message me and we can hold each other accountable.

You can start over. You're worth it.

Carbonation can lead to ulcers the more fills you have. The bubbling will eat away at the upper pouch as it sits on top dropping through to the lower pouch. Stop drinking soda and you will begin losing weight. It's how I lost 5% prior to surgery. Get into a mindset and u will succeed. Good luck!