Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters Unite

Keys to not getting stuck:

1- Buy tiny spoon n fork set for baby - always use carry with you - work restaurants everything (do this first year)

2- When you eat ONLY eat / don't watch tv or talk to people just eat. Of course SLOWLY / wait 45-60 seconds every two bites. (Do this first 6 months)

3- NEVER DRINK Water IF STUCK ... Drink vey little if all during eating.

4- GO especially slow in the morning. I usually drink a shake.

5- Learn the food that causes you problems - for me this is fibrous items - like shrimp - lobster etc..

Stuck or not stuck - your problems are "better"'than before... food coma and acid reflux and you are now on the path to FREEDOM!

Lee

1- Buy tiny spoon n fork set for baby - always use carry with you - work restaurants everything (do this first year)

2- When you eat ONLY eat / don't watch tv or talk to people just eat. Of course SLOWLY / wait 45-60 seconds every two bites. (Do this first 6 months)

4- GO especially slow in the morning. I usually drink a shake.< /p>

5- Learn the food that causes you problems - for me this is fibrous items - like shrimp - lobster etc..

Stuck or not stuck - your problems are "better"'than before... food coma and acid reflux and you are now on the path to FREEDOM!

Lee

Thank you so much for these helpful tips!!!!

Home and banded!!! I had my surgery at 12 pm got home at 6 pm i think I'm starting to feel gas pains so I'm trying to walk but like to sleep<3 thanks everyone for all ur support!!

Home and banded!!! I had my surgery at 12 pm got home at 6 pm i think I'm starting to feel gas pains so I'm trying to walk but like to sleep<3 thanks everyone for all ur support!!

Congrats! The gas pains are a bear, but walk and sip water! Rest too. I am one week out and feeling a lot better.

Lee

thanks Lee. I already have the baby spoons/forks but I don't want to use them outside of home...I am appalled at the idea of bringing attention to myself and having to explain why I'm using these utensils. It's nobody's damn business. There are already too many people who know I've had this surgery...and that was never my intention. Anyway, back to your hints. I use a timer and it keeps me from eating too quickly but again, I'd never use it in public. I've gone with the shake in the AM as it is quite filling for me..at least it is right now. I watch the liquids while eating...and I don't drink until I am finished. As far as staying away from what causes problems...how do you know these are problem foods? I presume you get stuck. ...and there's my fear, right there. I picture myself trying a little piece of shrimp or white meat chicken, and feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack....and then having to run to the bathroom to sick it back up. It friggin terrifies me...and I'm not trying to be dramatic here...I am truly terrified of this.

thanks Lee. I already have the baby spoons/forks but I don't want to use them outside of home...I am appalled at the idea of bringing attention to myself and having to explain why I'm using these utensils. It's nobody's damn business. There are already too many people who know I've had this surgery...and that was never my intention. Anyway' date=' back to your hints. I use a timer and it keeps me from eating too quickly but again, I'd never use it in public. I've gone with the shake in the AM as it is quite filling for me..at least it is right now. I watch the liquids while eating...and I don't drink until I am finished. As far as staying away from what causes problems...how do you know these are problem foods? I presume you get stuck. ...and there's my fear, right there. I picture myself trying a little piece of shrimp or white meat chicken, and feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack....and then having to run to the bathroom to sick it back up. It friggin terrifies me...and I'm not trying to be dramatic here...I am truly terrified of this.[/quote']

GoWalking... Sounds like you are doing things "smart". It would be unfair to say don't be bothered or scared because -of course - we can't really "just not be scared" of things. I would encourage you that being careful and smart as you are will be very helpful - the real "horror stories" are usually people not being smart like you are. I forgot to mention that standing up and walking around - will help stuck slip through sometimes.

You are right - trial and error is how I learned about the shrimp n lobster etc... And it was in a restaurant and nobody new what happened - just that I went to the bathroom.

Regarding not using needed tools at restaurant etc.. That's your choice of course and should be respected. I will say that I view and have viewed this as War - a life or death battle ... It was for me , literally. So - I would rather let people think or say what they want and further my progress than risk my life for people I don't care about and who really don't care about me. To me - that's the true behavior reflected when you have a mind your own business attitude.

Good luck - I am cheering for you

Lee

GoWalking... Sounds like you are doing things "smart". It would be unfair to say don't be bothered or scared because -of course - we can't really "just not be scared" of things. I would encourage you that being careful and smart as you are will be very helpful - the real "horror stories" are usually people not being smart like you are. I forgot to mention that standing up and walking around - will help stuck slip through sometimes.

You are right - trial and error is how I learned about the shrimp n lobster etc... And it was in a restaurant and nobody new what happened - just that I went to the bathroom.

Regarding not using needed tools at restaurant etc.. That's your choice of course and should be respected. I will say that I view and have viewed this as War - a life or death battle ... It was for me , literally. So - I would rather let people think or say what they want and further my progress than risk my life for people I don't care about and who really don't care about me. To me - that's the true behavior reflected when you have a mind your own business attitude.

Good luck - I am cheering for you

Lee

thanks again Lee. This site has truly been a godsend and the support and hints and insight and experiences I've read about have helped me more than I can say.

Lee

Omg thanks for the helpful information. I haven't started food yet but I am going to get the spoon and fork you suggested. I also have problems eating slow. I have to retrain my body is guess. Thanks again.

Tmrw baby!! :)

Good luck today!! I'll be thinkin bout'cha! Keep us posted!

Hi all! Got banded yesterday at 1:30pm and was released at 5pm. I have 3 incisions...a big one about 2 inches above my belly button, smaller one to the right and an even smaller one in between my breasts. Luckily I feel great (knock on wood) and was able to sleep through the night, only waking up every 4 hours for some pain pills. No gas pain yet but I do feel like I need to have a BM but am worried to strain. Am thinking of taking some milk of magnesia to help with that.

Me too...yesterday. It helped to know what it was and know that it would go away. I was kind of glad' date=' though because I seemed to be handling all the food so well I was starting to wonder if the band is going to work for me.[/quote']

Sherry n Miller. How long have y'all been banded. Just curious. I haven't been stuck but I'm feeling like do I really have something In me. I see my doc today for my 1st fill. Also how tight is your band? Just curious, I don't even know how many cc 's My band is. But I know I can eat a lot more than what I have. Not hungry but definitely could fit more. I've just been going with the Portion Control.< /p>

Sherry n Miller. How long have y'all been banded. Just curious. I haven't been stuck but I'm feeling like do I really have something In me. I see my doc today for my 1st fill. Also how tight is your band? Just curious' date=' I don't even know how many cc 's My band is. But I know I can eat a lot more than what I have. Not hungry but definitely could fit more. I've just been going with the portion control.[/quote']

I agree... I feel like I could eat more now too. I am about 4 weeks away from my first fill. I was banded on the 16th. I knew the food was "stuck" right away. I would describe it as extremely uncomfortable but not pain. It happened exactly because I wasn't paying attention and ate too big a bite too fast. It kinda helped that it happened because now I am über aware of my chewing and swallowing. Did you get your fill? Does it feel like a normal shot or worse?

Quick question, how soon after being banded did you have your post-op appointment and fill? I was banded yesterday (january 28th) and my doctor wants to see me back for a fill in two weeks.

Quick question, how soon after being banded did you have your post-op appointment and fill? I was banded yesterday (january 28th) and my doctor wants to see me back for a fill in two weeks.

My surgery was on the 22nd. I go tomorrow and have staples out then go for fill end of Feb.

Quick question' date=' how soon after being banded did you have your post-op appointment and fill? I was banded yesterday (january 28th) and my doctor wants to see me back for a fill in two weeks.[/quote']

Mine was the 21st and went for post op yesterday. One week