Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle relaxer???

Hi. I had surgery on 12/26 and feel great. The last two days I slept wrong and have a bad stiff neck. Does anyone know if it's ok to take muscle relaxer or 800mg Motrin?

i was told no nsaids but everyone is different...some do take that.. did they give you pain meds to take? i got me some liquid actemphin (cvs brand) to use for pain...if in doubt, call your doctor..

Prescription strength NSAIDs are not a good idea...IMHO. But you should ask your surgeon for their suggestions about what medications to take, especially if this is a recurrent medical condition.

We are not physicians...and it will always be better to direct your medical questions to your surgeon or medical team.

I recently had foot surgery, and was also given a prescription for 800 mg Motrin, and did not bother to have it filled. I have taken a 200 mg Advil liquigel (permission given from my bariatric surgeon) several times a day to help reduce the inflammation and manage pain. I would not have taken the Advil without my surgeon's knowledge and permission.

I hope you feel better...

I am prescribed Zanaflex and my doctor didn't tell me I couldn't take them but I would still say ask your own physician.

Not only was told no NSAIDs, but surgeon made me stop taking them 3mths prior to surgery.

I have to agree with other posters, call your Dr, most have someone on call 24/7.

Heating pad always works for me(had severe whiplash from car accident).

Hope you're better soon!

I was told no aspirin or NSAIDS ever!!! That has been the hardest thing for me, even harder than giving up food!!

I would definitely check with your doctor, but I have occipital neuralgia and a bulged disc in my neck and have been prescribed an anti-inflammatory once daily and muscle relaxer three times daily. I have checked with my surgeon about the anti-inflammatory and he says they can be harmful if taken regularly for too long. I don't believe muscle relaxers are NSAIDS though I'm not certain. I only take them when I absolutely have to in fear of getting an ulcer in my pouch. Good luck to you!