Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year...90 pounds...and some (hard learned) sage advice

So, it has been a year...and what a year! I set a goal to be at my goal weight on my 1 year mark...not realistic, but that is what goals are for...to motivate you. I lost 90 pounds...30 more to go. I feel....great...I can run up stairs, play with my dog/daughter (yes, in that order) and make love for hours...what else is there in life??

And I have come to some truths about lap band...it works if you let it. I was so confused when I started as to why there was such a broad swath of experiences...from very successful to folks who had it removed. It is all clear to me now...the difference between success and failure is all in the adjustments.

Folks who want their cake and and eat it too (literally) will opt to keep their band fairly open, allowing them to eat what they want. Those who want to loose will keep getting fills until they can no longer eat bread and are satiated with about 3 oz of food. Crazy people like me will have it tightened to the point of being on a perpetual liquid/mush diet until goal, and then a setting that permits you to maintain thereafter. The difference between these types of peole is those who are motivation to win vs those who are not yet wiling to give up food as a crutch. I have been both of these people...and I have opted to win.

And it it not easy. I have sad days when I miss eating (many). I have jealous days when I watch others eat pizza and egg rolls (what else is there?) and I have days when I try to eat more than I should, or something that I should not have and..yes...it all comes back up...and then I have those days when I get on the scale and I have lost another 10 pounds, bought my 3rd belt, experienced my forth drop in pants size, gave all my clothing to charity (I kept the underwear), looked in the mirror ( I have not done that in 20 years) and no longer recognized myself...

I often have to remind myself that I got here through glutney and I am now paying the price...and the trade off is more than fair...forty + years of pizza and chinese food vs 1-2 years of protien shakes...and a longer, happier and healthy life forward. You have to keep it all in perspective and always keep your mind on the goal, not what you are giving up..what you are gaining by losing.

And a couple of other nuggests...I know foam, slime, burning...all too well...and I have come to another truth (took a year)...you HAVE to take anti-acid meds every day (cause of foam/burning) and allergy meds as well (cause of slime). Without them you will suffer terribly and you will losen your band to stop these symptoms when you could keep the band tight and control them with meds. Try if for a few weeks and then stop...you will see a difference and be convinced to stay on them (minimally) until you reach goal. Walmart has very inexpensive and effective generic anti-acid pills...the dollar store as well, but they dont work as well. For allergies I use Singulair...it has the least side effects for me. We wont discuss constipation...I got impacted once...it was a horrible experience...I proactivly take softeners now when needed...never let it get away from you or you could be in the ER with a latex hand up your rear (for those of you, like me, who DONT enjoy that)....the rest of you...well...get help...

I hope this helps someone become (more) successful, feel less alone, suffer less...learn from my mistakes......Seth

Thanks for sharing!!! Congrats on your weight loss so far! You don't have much to go!!!

Awesome story . . . thanks for sharing!

Thanks for an update. You have a lot of knowedge to pass on. Best wishes, Karen

great job on your years journey !!!

You will be at goal in no time

congrats

I congratulate you on your success, however I have to be honest I don't agree with everything you wrote. Being forced onto a "perpetually mushy/liquid diet" is a sign of the band being too tight and is dangerous. In fact, more people have the band removed from being too tight and it leading to a slip than people who have it removed by choice. Burning (reflux) is another sign the band is too tight and not something that should be ignored with just popping antacids.

The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. It's supposed to keep you satiated on less food for longer periods of time. Likewise, if someone is eating until they are full, they are eating too much. It's not the band's job to stop us from eating anything, it's our job to make good decisions. Here is an excellent link to better explain it: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

The difference between these types of peole is those who are motivation to win vs those who are not yet wiling to give up food as a crutch. I have been both of these people...and I have opted to win.

It's true we can't use food as a crutch, however to say people who don't opt to have their bands so tight they're only able to eat mushy foods and risk a slip couldn't be more incorrect. There are plenty of us, myself included, who have been very successful with the band while able to eat whatever we want- just smaller portions.

I've lost 175 pounds in less than a year. I still have bread, I even have a slice of pizza once in awhile. I realize it's my job to make good food choices not the band's job. I listen to my band and stop eating when I'm no longer hungry and I don't eat until I'm full. I never eat more than a cup of food per meal. I use the band the way it's meant to be used, as a tool, not a magic fix for fat.

Again, to each their own. It's your body and it's awesome you lost so much weight. But we don't have to have bands too tight and risk slips to lose weight. If we do our part the band will do it's part- without putting our health at risk.

I liked most of what you said and I'm glad it works for you. I, however, am one of those unfortunate ones that had a bad slip that had to be repaired surgically because my band was too tight... and I was less than eight months post-op when it slipped and had only thrown up twice. Not everyone can tolerate a "too tight" band.

I don't agree about a tight band either. That's not its purpose to eat liquids. I am not a success story by any means but I also have my band at 2 cc and can't tighten any more as I will start throwing up

Great story Seth. It's so true that we all find a way to make this band work for each of us. My only concern with your approach is that you haven't learned to eat healthy? Living day to day off liquids and mush is no way to live(imo) and I hope your next year's journey leads you down the road to health and satisfaction.

tmf

WOW...you certainly have a story to share...and I must say that I also felt that your approach to life with your band was not one that I agree with. And from what I have learned through life with my band and from my surgeon you have taken some fairly serious risks to your health and well being.

I disagree with your opinion:

Crazy people like me will have it tightened to the point of being on a perpetual liquid/mush diet until goal, and then a setting that permits you to maintain thereafter. The difference between these types of peole is those who are motivation to win vs those who are not yet wiling to give up food as a crutch. I have been both of these people...and I have opted to win.

This is not a game...this is life. And we choose to have a certain level of quality of life. I believe that the motivation for success comes from within...and the successful individuals are self determined and want to be successful. I am one of those who are motivated for success, but choose not to place my health and well being at risk in the process of loosing weight and having a better quality of life. There are many others who are of the same mindset: I've followed my surgeon's instructions and still had some medical complications. I don't even want to consider what would have happened if I had chosen to become my own physician...

I also strongly believe that we need to refrain from giving medical advice to others...unless you have the proper credentials to give such advice. Your post was in that gray area...I believe it is imperative to advise others to consult with their medical team for guidance and not tell others what they should do if they want to be a "winner". This must be gender specific, as I believe that life with a band is a journey towards health, not a race divided by the winners and losers.

Best wishes to you for your continued success...

Thank you one and all for your kind wishes, encouragement and most of all your words of caution.

I absolutly respect those who do not agree with my approach, will pay heed and suggest others do as well. At the end of the day, I suppose 'tight' or 'too tight' is somewhat subjective...so it is hard to say if I am over zealous or just agressive....but we can all agree no amount of weight loss is worth risking your life. One need decide where the balance is between obesity and the risk of being too agressive (or worse, foolish).

Medical advice I can give none. I can only point out the antiacids and antihistamines help; I would never suggest utilizing them as a means of masking symptoms of a dangerous situation. And I would never suggest 'too tight' as some have interpreted...I only suggest tight enough to lose weight...

And to the point that I have learned little about making healthy choices...it is possibly true. I have had the band looser and have maintained my weight flat for 2 to three months during that time. I ate reasonable foods and reasonable amounts...my only issue was I was not losing weight and that, ultimatly, was/is my goal. Once I am at my goal weight flat is good... and I now know I can maintaint it (which was a big worry for me).

And MIS73...my hats off to you...175 in one year is unfathomable to me...obviously your approach works very well for you...congratulations!

And I guess that is my point...it is not what Seth suggests, it is what works for you...male or female...competitive or not...ok with liquids only for a while or againt it...ok with a long approach or prefers more rapid results...do what works without taking any foolish risks... and always with your doctor's advice ;-)

Seth

Standing "O" for the not so big guy now!!! :)

tmf

Congrats to Seth on your weight loss. I think we all have to use our "tool" however we see fit. So stay motivated an healthy all

Congratulations on the 90 pounds in 1 year! Wow, thats a great amount, a tad over 8 pounds a month. Very impressive!

I disagreed with some things you wrote, but I'm definitely agreeing with most. Since we are all not created the same, individuals will have to "tweak" what works for them. I was doing lots of I can't eat this and I can't eat that when I started. Now, I've learned to listen to my body and allowed myself to eat 2 small slices of pizza, some other things as a way of living more normal. I still haven't had a hamburger (with buns) since I've started, just my way of controlling what didn't work in my past, as well as chips, dips, lots of red meat. I am making more quality choices now and I've learned what will hurt me again and I stay away from those food types. YOU must learn HOW to Eat again, and NOT deprieve yourself of all bad foods.

Again, a Big Congratulations on what you've achieved so far. Keep up your good work and tell us how you are doing.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith

A successful band should allow you to eat the same exact foods you did before surgery, just much much MUCH less. I am 15 months post op and down 90 lbs. I can eat anything. I do have trouble foods,but i am smart with them, i eat very slowly, sometimes taking an hour to eat a few ounces. I do not feel deprived at all.