Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Just Did Not Work For Me

Im just checking to see if I have this right... You have a poster that posted that they have struggled and wants to keep on the forum to get support from people who have been successful, but then gets upset when someone who has lost well over 100 pounds tried to tell them how they were successful with the lap band.

from what I read she was being supportive but was also giving you some tough love. Floridays is a success as I consider myself as well. We post how we would react and feel in your position. I agree with everything she said as a person that has lost with the lapband.

Your doctor is an a$$ and you need to go to another one and get a second opinion. Noone should be talked to like that.

I wish you well and hope you can continue on with your journey.

I think maybe some of us have lost the big picture! Including myself! Is the band meant to be used just so we fit into a certain Jean size? I thought it was suppose to help us in encouraging us to work on our overall health. Those that use the band so they don't eat a whole bag of chips, they just eat a handful, isn't suppose to be the final picture! Is the goal to weigh a certain number or is it to encourage a healthy lifestyle?! Are you healthy because the scale says so? Your not automatically healthy because your thin! I hate to say this, but you say that you started a 17 day diet and are exercising 6 days a week, this is just another set-up for failure! Start slow, work your way into it! Gradually change your lifestyle, don't immediately jump off the top rope! I got my lap band 6 years ago and went off the top rope, only to lose 100 lbs. within a year, then gaining back 40. All because I wanted it fast and now! I'm now trying to adjust my thinking to health not the numbers on the scale and I dont feel like I wasted any time or feel like exercise was a waste of time because I didnt lose weight. If you focus on health you won't be angry at the band, you'll be proud you are using your body the way it was designed to be used and fed the way it was intended! It's not an easy journey for anyone, but it's definitely a memorable one!

I think maybe some of us have lost the big picture! Including myself! Is the band meant to be used just so we fit into a certain Jean size? I thought it was suppose to help us in encouraging us to work on our overall health. Those that use the band so they don't eat a whole bag of chips, they just eat a handful, isn't suppose to be the final picture! Is the goal to weigh a certain number or is it to encourage a healthy lifestyle?! Are you healthy because the scale says so? Your not automatically healthy because your thin! I hate to say this, but you say that you started a 17 day diet and are exercising 6 days a week, this is just another set-up for failure! Start slow, work your way into it! Gradually change your lifestyle, don't immediately jump off the top rope! I got my lap band 6 years ago and went off the top rope, only to lose 100 lbs. within a year, then gaining back 40. All because I wanted it fast and now! I'm now trying to adjust my thinking to health not the numbers on the scale and I dont feel like I wasted any time or feel like exercise was a waste of time because I didnt lose weight. If you focus on health you won't be angry at the band, you'll be proud you are using your body the way it was designed to be used and fed the way it was intended! It's not an easy journey for anyone, but it's definitely a memorable one!

I couldn't agree more! You said it all.

Ur body probley went into starvation mode cause ur eating a quarter of what u used to so ur body's storing everything u put into it to thrive. And if that's the case I don't even think weight loss surgery would work starting out slower and gradually reducing ur eating is probley better and honestly if whatever ur doing now is working than keep with it .. I'm sorry u went thru all this and ur doctor was an ass and it didn't work for you ..good luck in ur journey

Out of your post I got several things...

You are very angry and seem to want to blame your failure to lose weight on the band' date=' the dr and other medical issues.

You may have a dr who shoots from the hip but you want someone who will baby you. The band only does 70% of the work. You must do the rest. Even a new dr won't help.

You mention doing everything right but do not state how many calories you eat or what portion sizes you are able to consume. Even with a thyroid issue you can lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume. That's a scientific fact. I do think you can get pills to regulate the thyroid but don't blame it.

You said you are eating until you are full.... Bad idea... As bandsters we are supposed to eat until we are satisfied. I eat 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 c carbs at each meal.... With proper restriction that keeps me full for 4 to 5 hrs? I never eat until I am full... Because often that would mean I eat too much.

I have lost a lot of weight. But I worked my butt off to make it happen... I weighed and measured everything I put in my mouth except toothpaste. I counted every calorie including a breath mint. I wanted thin that badly..

It sound like you want it... And I am sorry that you have a tool that cost a lot of money which could help you dramatically which you refuse to learn to live with.... But I hope someway you at able to drop the weight....your life depends on it.[/quote']

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I am having trouble myself. I know it's my fault and there is no one else to blame. I have hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, asthma, depression, diabetes... and just overall a bad attitude about food. I eat to solve all my problems. Now it's different.

Tomorrow is my surgery and I am going to stick to the diet. If I fail, I will try again.

You got this. It does take time and it is an extremely difficult process. Just curious, have you ever been checked for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or endometriosis?

It is EXTREMELY frustrating for a physician to assume that you are not following the rules, when in fact you are. It would be nice if they had a good balance between understanding and a knack for motivation.

I had to go in for an emergency unfill today..and the PA said to me that it takes a long time to figure this out. "Our parents didn't raise us by eating with a lapband." So very true. It's completely different than anything we are used to.

My gyno was the one who figured out why I could never lose weight regardless of playing tennis for hours daily..perhaps your gyno might be of some help. Just a suggestion, I could be completely wrong on this. Just wanted to send some encouraging words. :)

You CAN do this!!

Sage

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I am having trouble myself. I know it's my fault and there is no one else to blame. I have hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, asthma, depression, diabetes... and just overall a bad attitude about food. I eat to solve all my problems. Now it's different.

Tomorrow is my surgery and I am going to stick to the diet. If I fail, I will try again.

Good luck with your surgery!! best thing you can do for yourself. See ya on the other side! ;)

How many calories do you eat pet day? I try to stay in the 1200 range. Have hit a plateau. Was banded 7/22

How frustrating! okay let's break this down.

You say you're eating 1000 calories a day - I'm going to estimate that your basal metabolic rate (the minimum amt of calories your body burns in a day to maintain weight) is at least 2500. That's a daily deficit of 1500 calories a day - you should be losing 2-3 lbs a week.

If you're not, there is something else going on and it's not the band. The band can't interfere with your metabolism. The PA may have been right about your thyroid issue, but wow that docs office sounds like a circus. It seems like life is telling you that you need to advocate for yourself more. Doctors aren't god. Some suck! Don't live with it, don't tolerate it. Get yourself tested for other metabolic issues that could be sabotaging you.

I'm also stumped about you not tolerating a small fill well. Some ppl may not feel they need a fill but are you struggling with hunger and portions or are you comfortable? While investigating other reasons for no weight loss, keep up with your routine. The math will owe you.

I read the whole post and all the responses here is what I can share and hope it helps:

I had thyroid cancer so I don't have a thyroid, my TSH levels must be kept at hypo (slow) rather than normal or hyper.

This has Always caused weight gain or extremely slow weight loss.

I went to many seminars listening to every dr and after awhile they all sounded like used car sales people! Then I met a dr who said the band is not the cure all its not magic and if you do this you have to think of it as a marriage, you must love me and I must love you but above all that we must work as a team.

2011 June I got my lap band from then till now I am down 110 however that is a number. Not every plan works for every person, I decided to stay on weight watchers and go to weekly meetings. This kept my focus and my sanity. It also kept me eating healthy. I eat my Protein first, then my veggies last my complex carb. I only eat on a appetizer plate. I weigh and measure all my food, I take Calcium supplements. I work out, Pilates has done wonders for me. I finally after 54 years put myself first.

If I'm hungry in between a meal I will eat an apple or some small fruit or yogurt.

If I was in your shoes the first thing I would do is get all your medical records and see another doctor, I would then see a nutritionist.

Finally I will say that I am married to a professional chef and the one thing he has taught me is every calorie is not the same. Just because your only eating 900 calories a day does not mean they are the right calories that are going to burn the fat not store the fat. Hope this helps you, please remember when you put something out there on a public forum your going to get many opinions the hope is that you can get some support where you need it.

Good Luck

Good luck with your surgery!! best thing you can do for yourself. See ya on the other side! ;)

I am on the other side now and struggling a little. I feel like I am hungry all the time but that could all be in my mind. I am only 2 days post op and feeling a bit better than yesterday except for the hunger. Oh did I mention the first bowl movement you have can be quite painful?? I just spent 20 mins trying to get one bm out. Sorry for the tmi.

I am on the other side now and struggling a little. I feel like I am hungry all the time but that could all be in my mind. I am only 2 days post op and feeling a bit better than yesterday except for the hunger. Oh did I mention the first bowl movement you have can be quite painful?? I just spent 20 mins trying to get one bm out. Sorry for the tmi.

ya, the struggle int he beginning happens to us all.. you will feel better soon!! :) and it's natural to feel hungry in the beginning.

Well said ttyny007. I was thinking about getting into plates. Do you think is like yoga?