Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Motivates You?

As a mom of 3 with a 40+hr work week (52hrs this week alone)....I find exercise on the bottom of my to do list more often than not. I really need to lose this bad habit! So my fellow banders...any tips?

As a mom of 3 with a 40+hr work week (52hrs this week alone)....I find exercise on the bottom of my to do list more often than not. I really need to lose this bad habit! So my fellow banders...any tips?

Walk on lunch break every day and carb blocker works if you sit all day!

I dont get a lunch break or that wiuld be great....what is carb blocker?

mini work outs. use a padometer (10,000 steps=5 miles), stand more, take the stairs, park far away, stretch while making copies, do 5 standing push ups while washing dishes, 10 chair sits.

My fitbit has made me realize how seditary I was. Now because I can see what I am doing in a day it motivates me to try and find reasons to walk more during my work day. Day 1 I only had 3000 steps (LAZY), but now I am up to 5000-6000 steps a day. I pack them in anywhere I can - take the long way to the restroom at work or the long way to the front office.

I say this compassionately and don't mean any ill will. It sounds like you are your own enemy here. You cannot make excuses. We are all very busy. I am a single mom of 2, work full-time +, dating, back in college, and busy w/ life. We HAVE to make ourselves a priority. I always and I mean always put my kids first and I suffered. I learned (through counseling and trial and error) that I had to be the priority. By treating myself better and giving myself time, I was a better mom, happier, healthier, etc. You are entitled a lunch break and should insist on it. Not only is it good for you physically but you will be more productive taking a mental break too. I have read countless articles and studies that by not taking breaks or working so many hours we actually become less productive. You can find 1/2 an hour to go for a walk at lunch to clear your mind and take care of yourself. Or, if it means waiting for the kids to go to bed and exercising for 40 minutes, now is the time to not allow excuses and make the time.

Again, I truly do not mean ill-will. We just need to learn that WE have to be our own priority. Excuses won't get results, actions will.

Like Kime-Lou said you can sneak in extra activity in the day too. Fitbits are awesome but costly, at a minimum you could get a pedometer and find ways to up your activity.

To really lose though you need to get some structured exercise in as well. Your body, mind, and family will all benefit from a healthier you!

Hmm, good question. What motivates me is seeing results, such as seeing the numbers on the scale go down, shrinking out of my clothes, and the most important to me is seeing how quickly I get around (without pain). That is my biggest achievement by far!

There are days I just don't want to get on my exercise machine, and days I look forward to it. However, what puts things into perspective for me is how I got here in the first place and I like this feeling. Exercise is helping this happen! Therefore, no matter how tired I may feel or lazy. I get on that machine and do the best that I can. I listen to music while doing this it always makes me feel good and as the songs go by, so does the time......

I say this compassionately and don't mean any ill will. It sounds like you are your own enemy here. You cannot make excuses. We are all very busy. I am a single mom of 2, work full-time +, dating, back in college, and busy w/ life. We HAVE to make ourselves a priority. I always and I mean always put my kids first and I suffered. I learned (through counseling and trial and error) that I had to be the priority. By treating myself better and giving myself time, I was a better mom, happier, healthier, etc. You are entitled a lunch break and should insist on it. Not only is it good for you physically but you will be more productive taking a mental break too. I have read countless articles and studies that by not taking breaks or working so many hours we actually become less productive. You can find 1/2 an hour to go for a walk at lunch to clear your mind and take care of yourself. Or, if it means waiting for the kids to go to bed and exercising for 40 minutes, now is the time to not allow excuses and make the time.

Again, I truly do not mean ill-will. We just need to learn that WE have to be our own priority. Excuses won't get results, actions will.

Like Kime-Lou said you can sneak in extra activity in the day too. Fitbits are awesome but costly, at a minimum you could get a pedometer and find ways to up your activity.

To really lose though you need to get some structured exercise in as well. Your body, mind, and family will all benefit from a healthier you!

I just wanted to tell you I LOVE your kitty animation!!! super adorable!

Thank you to those with suggestions of motivation. And I do not get a lunch break nor am I entitled to one. I am not making excuses. I do not get a lunch break simple as that. I appreciate everyones kind words and suggestions.

That's a huge job (mom of 3) and another full job so I'm sure you find yourself running as low on energy as you do time. Finding more time may not be possible but finding more energy is possible.

You must chose to start your day one hour earlier with exercise. Is an hour too much ? Ok then start with 10 minutes of exercise... Pop a Leslie Sansone walking DVD in and don't even put on shoes. Then add 30 seconds every day - 7 days a week.

You may ignore this but it works! You will start each day with Victory and the energy you need to make the day better AND the exercise you require.

I did it to the tune of losing over 250 lbs and my sister has almost lost 200 lbs. IT WORKS

My sisters blog www.300poundsdown

Hope in your future is power in your present!

Lee

knowing that if i do not (walk even though its only a block or a block and a half) or eat more than my allotted amount, i could get back over the 300# very easy. for that not to happen, i gotta just do it. no excuses. just doing it even when i dont want too or am pms or crabby or fussing from work and with hubby. i get my doberman and we go (most of the time hub goes w/me).

A powerful message that I heard was that you can have excuses or you can have results but you can't have both.

I'm not in the same situation as you as my children have grown up and left home, but I have had to learn that a messy house can wait while I go for my morning walk, cycle or swim. Or that I can turn up the music loud and dance around the house as I clean up to burn a few extra calories. My motivation is NEVER going back to where I was before because I was, quite seriously, killing myself.

I hope that you find a way to incorporate more exercise into your (busy) daily routine.

Good luck.

Thank you guys¡ I have taken all of your positive qoutes and some pictures of girls in shape and a few inspiring outfits I'd love to wear and pinned them next to my mirror. food is definatately not a probkem I eat just fine. Time to tone however. Day 2 of. Fitting exercise in and going to start getting up an hour earlier to squeeze it in. I really wish this site would stick to advice and positive remarks we are here to help one another not to judge. Im always afraid to post due to some of what some people think they need to say.

Thank you to those with suggestions of motivation. And I do not get a lunch break nor am I entitled to one. I am not making excuses. I do not get a lunch break simple as that. I appreciate everyones kind words and suggestions.

I don't know where you live, but there are laws which mandate employers to provide both breaks and a longer lunch break if you are working full time (40 hours).

My signature quote is my mantra - "Do or do not, there is no try", and I live by it.

I'm married, raised 3 sons, and for several years of my life worked full time, did the usual "mom things" with son's homework, was in school at the graduate level, completed a practicum which lasted for a year, and still managed to incorporate exercise into my schedule on a regular basis...Why??? Because it helped keep my sanity and my thoughts centered. Exercise energizes you if you give it a chance.

If you are serious about wanting to be successful with long term weight loss, regular exercise is in that equation.

I don't know where you live' date=' but there are laws which mandate employers to provide both breaks and a longer lunch break if you are working full time (40 hours).

My signature quote is my mantra - "Do or do not, there is no try", and I live by it.

I'm married, raised 3 sons, and for several years of my life worked full time, did the usual "mom things" with son's homework, was in school at the graduate level, completed a practicum which lasted for a year, and still managed to incorporate exercise into my schedule on a regular basis...Why??? Because it helped keep me sane and my thoughts centered. Exercise energizes you if you give it a chance.

If you are serious about wanting to be successful with long term weight loss, regular exercise is in that equation. [/quote']

I work in human resources and I know the law here is if you work more than a 6 hour shift they must give you a 30 minute break and his is an uninterrupted break. They can not expect or insist you answer phones or email etc.

With that said, I seldom pry myself from my desk. I work on average 50 hours a week. But I know the break is mine to take. It doesn't solve your problem though I know.

A good way to work in extra activity is taking the stairs if you have them at work. I am on the 6th floor so I started using them alone with parking on the top floor of the garage and walking the stairs there too. Every little added effort helps!

Best wishes on reaching your goals!