Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Need Of A Little Support...

Hey guys first I wanna say congrats to all that have been banded you all are inspiration its amazing to see how far you can get with stregnth and alot of hard wk i hope to be there one day. A little about me my name is Sarah I am 23 frm Houston Tx. I am scheduled to be banded Friday Dec. 7 started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday.... I am so hungry i feel a little discourged and have even thought about throwing in the towel lol but i know it will all be well worth it... In your guys opinion what are the best liquids and Protein Shakes? ? Thanks in advance.

I was banded 6 weeks ago so pre-op is not far out of my mind! The first 3-4 days is HELL! I had headaches, tired, hungry and thought of all the foods I wanted to eat! BUT, it gets better! Lots of sugar free popsicles and sugar free gum got me through it. Don't give up! It's worth it !

Hey guys first I wanna say congrats to all that have been banded you all are inspiration its amazing to see how far you can get with stregnth and alot of hard wk i hope to be there one day. A little about me my name is Sarah I am 23 frm Houston Tx. I am scheduled to be banded Friday Dec. 7 started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday.... I am so hungry i feel a little discourged and have even thought about throwing in the towel lol but i know it will all be well worth it... In your guys opinion what are the best liquids and Protein shakes?? Thanks in advance.

First of all, this is the hardest part and it lasts only about three days then you will feel better. It is however VERY important that you stick to it.

I personally like unjury unflavored and chicken Soup. I also got About Time chocolate. They are sold online, isolate whey Protein.

This period is hard but once you start seeing the results you will be thrilled!

All I can say is you have to want this. Pre op and post op diets are not forever. Just remember that.

My dr uses Optifast which you have to get from a medical dr I believe... It's a Meal Replacement shake which is important. I was on them for 2 weeks preop and then the 2nd and 3rd week post op. after that he doesn't advice using Protein shakes as he wants me to get my nutrition fm food not liquid.< /p>

Bets wishes, since we all have been there, we can give our support. You have to follow the liquid diet tho'. So, stick with it, it gets better. Good luck, and ((((hugs))))! Karen

The pre op diet is for several reasons . Mostly to get the FAT out of your liver FAT liver no surgery folks have gone in and been closed right back up with a sorry. That was enough for me to be a belie ver.

Secondly this is no walk in the park and with the holidays coming I think it will be even harder to be around food and others eating everything you use to eat. You will grieve food so prepare yourself for that. You will need to set your head on the future. I was banded in Jan. of 2008 and it was the first New Years that I did not have to think how FAT will I be next year, but instead how thin will I be. The diet is the easiest part of this.

So keep busy do the Protein my Dr said save your money and do Slim Fast shakes and eat the sugar free popsicle and dream of being a new girl next year.

A friend of mine got banded a few months ago. She's lost 45 pounds! She suggested The Gladiator smoothies from smoothie King. No bananas! (Too much sugar) it has 40 grams of Protein. I tried pineapple and peach with vanilla protein. Yummy! The problem was the smoothie king is too far from my house. I ended up buying a ninja blender and started making my own protein smoothies. Good luck!

I thought during the 2 week pre op it was the longest 2 weeks of my life. Lol. The weekends were the worst. But you will survive and you will be so proud of yourself. After I had my surgery my dr had given me a binder with each week what to eat and not eat. Every week when I would get to the next week and was like I am kicking this. I am now a little over 2 months out I've lost 45 pounds and am eating normal. I thought in the beginning i would not make it this far some days. Good luck!

Hi Sarah, I'm in Houston as well. I'm being banded on 12/12, just a few days after you! I can tell you that the pre-op diet does get easier after day 3. I'm feeling much more satisfied than I was on Days 1-3. Who is your doctor? I'm using Syntrax Nectar (purchased on Amazon for around $30). It doesn't taste bad at all. Glad you found the forum. You'll learn so much here!

I'm puzzled with the week of fasting before surgery. My doctor did not require this. I was told not to eat after 6pm the night before surgery.

Now the week after, liquids only.

I use Pure Protein powder mixed with unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk.

Good luck with your surgery.

My banding is on the 14th. I am on my 5th day and also considered throwing in the towel! It was bad! Throbbing headaches, dizziness, nausea, extreme hunger, the works! Hang on! Today I woke up full of energy and not hungry at all! Don't stop keep going and don't forget to exercise!