Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters!

Anyone else getting banded in January? I'm scheduled for January 23rd. It all feels so real now that a date has been set.

Me! Me! I don't have a date yet but it will be in January. Very exciting. Congrats!

Thanks! Congrats to you too! This is a big step we're taking. Like my doctor says, 2013 is our year!

Totally! I see my surgeon December 10 and then we can pick a date. I have to have 3 months supervised nutrition appointments per my insurance. I've completed all the other requirements.

My surgery date is January 18th. Going to Mexico, and I'm really excited (and anxious).

Totally! I see my surgeon December 10 and then we can pick a date. I have to have 3 months supervised nutrition appointments per my insurance. I've completed all the other requirements.

I had to have 6 nutrition appointments (not 6 months supervised), but it still took me 6 months to complete them. I completed all the other requirements by the end of August. My date is tentative because my surgeon has to consult with my neurologist to get final clearance, but I've already talked to her and she's on board since my last MRI and EEG didn't show any new strokes or seizure activity. So I should be all set.

How many appointment do you have left with the nutritionist?

My surgery date is January 18th. Going to Mexico' date=' and I'm really excited (and anxious).[/quote']

Congratulations!

I know exactly how you feel. I'm a ball of emotion right now - happy, excited, anxious, and terrified, but we are just going to have to suck it up and trust that we made the right decision :)

Do you have to go on a pre-op diet?

I have one appointment in December and the last one in early January. I'm on a supervised diet and doing well. Lost 3 pounds thus far after one week into it. Very motivated. I have to do one week of a pre-op diet which my nutritionist showed me, and its not bad at all. A mix of food and Protein Shakes. Then the day before surgery, full liquids. I'm going to talk to my surgeon's office though because my 3 months should have started in October not November. That way I can grantee I can get my surgery in January and not bleed into February.

Thats great progress from your supervised diet so far.

One week pre-op diet shouldn't be too bad. My surgeon is very strict about the pre-op diet. 2 full weeks of nothing but 3 Bariatric Advantage shakes and two bars per day. I'm super nervous about it because I've never lasted more than a few days on a juice fast or cleanse.

Have you told anyone that you're having the surgery?

I've heard many different surgeon's requiring different types/lengths of pre-op diets. That was one of the first things I asked the nutritionist about. That and if I have to give up my coffee...

I have told my immediate family and my close friends. My boss knows as well because I felt it necessary to explain why I've had to take so much time off work or using my PTO to cover other days. Everyone is supporting me. Some surprising me more then others. How about you?

I've only told my mother, one of my sisters, my maternal grandmother and my boyfriend. My sister, boyfriend and my mom are supportive, but my grandmother not so much. She's from the Caribbean and opposed to any type of surgery for anything, especially something she considers "elective"

It's amazing how you think you know someone and you think they will react a certain way, but when they do the opposite, it's shocking. My best friend of 13 years who thought would ve 100% in my corner turned out to be very apprehensive at first. She mostly was worried that if it didnt work out the way I wanted it to that I'd be devastated. So she came off negative and it didn't sit well with me. I educated her a bit more and she saw how dedicated I was/am with all the pre-op appointments and tests and she's coming around. My biggest surprise was my dad's reaction. I don't have a very close relationship with him and he currently lives ib Florida where I live in Oregon so we see each other once, maybe twice a year. He was up visiting a few weeks ago cuz my sister was due to have her baby (which she had on my 30th birthday!) and he saw me doing some paperwork and asked me what it was about. He's a nosey guy and will push even though I was ready to tell him. So I gave in and laid it all out. He was floored! In a good way. He said it was a great idea and he's very proud of me for doing something about my weight. He knows I've tried every diet under the sun and I'm at my heaviest right now and since obesity runs so high in my family on both sides, he knows what my future holds if I keep doing. Plus it forced me to quit smoking and him and my mom have been smoking since they were 15 and they are 58 so he's happy I won't be following in their foot steps there as well.

My date is Jan 10 and yes it is our year 2013. Yes getting so nervous.

Congratulations! I start my pre-op diet the day before your surgery. Keep me posted on your progress.

It's amazing how you think you know someone and you think they will react a certain way' date=' but when they do the opposite, it's shocking. My best friend of 13 years who thought would ve 100% in my corner turned out to be very apprehensive at first. She mostly was worried that if it didnt work out the way I wanted it to that I'd be devastated. So she came off negative and it didn't sit well with me. I educated her a bit more and she saw how dedicated I was/am with all the pre-op appointments and tests and she's coming around. My biggest surprise was my dad's reaction. I don't have a very close relationship with him and he currently lives ib Florida where I live in Oregon so we see each other once, maybe twice a year. He was up visiting a few weeks ago cuz my sister was due to have her baby (which she had on my 30th birthday!) and he saw me doing some paperwork and asked me what it was about. He's a nosey guy and will push even though I was ready to tell him. So I gave in and laid it all out. He was floored! In a good way. He said it was a great idea and he's very proud of me for doing something about my weight. He knows I've tried every diet under the sun and I'm at my heaviest right now and since obesity runs so high in my family on both sides, he knows what my future holds if I keep doing. Plus it forced me to quit smoking and him and my mom have been smoking since they were 15 and they are 58 so he's happy I won't be following in their foot steps there as well.[/quote']

I'm glad that your journey is bringing you and your family closer. Definitely a bonus. And I think your friend means well. The weight loss therapist I met with for my pre-certification appointment said that we are doing this for ourselves and there will be some people who will be supportive and there are some that won't, not necessarily because they aren't happy for us, but some because they are scared of change.