Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters!

This is very true. I'm doing this for me and my future. I'm glad its bringing us closer as well.

hi I'm scheduled for jan 24 th!! so excited and nervous!

I'm hoping to be banded in January or February at the latest. I would prefer January but due to changes in insurance I may have to wait a little longer. I have a strict 3 week preop diet of shakes only, no meals. I'm concerned about it but determined.

Pam

hi I'm scheduled for jan 24 th!! so excited and nervous!

Congrats! Do you have to go on a pre-op diet?

I'm feeling a little frightened and discouraged. My surgery is in Mexico on Jan 18th, and the nutritionist gave me a goal of losing a minimum of 15 lbs (ideally 30) prior to surgery. I was put on my pre-op diet immediately after scheduling surgery a month ago. Two shakes a day, one lean cuisine and as many greens as I want plus sugar free Jello or popsicles. It's so hard. I'm only down 6lbs because I keep cheating. If I knew it was only a week or two, I could stick with it, but almost 3 months feels daunting. It scares me because I feel like if I can't manage this diet for three months, how will I manage after I have the lap band. Anyway, I told my mom because I had to cancel an upcoming family vacation so I could pay for my surgery, and she told the rest of my family. I probably would have told them at some point, but I'm not really happy about them sitting around discussing my weight and lack of self-control (although I'm sure they do that anyway).

So here is something that I keep thinking about - a common theme among those who successfully dropped their weight has been that the lap-band is a tool, but we are the ones who need to exercise will power. The thing is, if we could all do that, none of us would be here. In all honesty, I'm counting on the band restricting my intake, and making me feel full with less food. I don't really have self-control.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here among other January bandsters!

Wow 3 months is a long time to make you diet on your own. My nutritionist said basically, don't gain wait but that's for insurance purposes. I am on a 1500 cal diet and I track it using My Fitness Pal but I don't have to lose weight, just maintain. They will put me on a pre-op diet but that's only for the week prior to surgery and it's pretty much the same diet you're on now. Then liquids the day before. Yes, I can see your frustration, if we were all successful dieters we wouldn't be on this forum. It is a tool, but its a massive tool in helping us lose weight. The major thing it won't change is head hunger. And we give in to head hunger. So decided...am I really hungry? Do I need to eat this? Is it worth losing my sugery? And if you're gonna cheat, keep healthy Snacks around. My weakness is icecream. I want something cold, sweet and creamy. So I grab a yogurt instead. I know this is hard. I can't speak for how it will be after. If you're having it done in Mexico, just make sure you have a good support team in the States when you get back. Support is key. Best of luck.

I've been seeing a nutritionist since June and I've lost about 12 pounds. I haven't tracked using MyFitnessPal or restricted myself to any specific caloric intake. What I did was act as if I already have the band (somewhat). When I go out to eat (which has been for every meal, 6 days a week for the past 5 months while working 2 trials), I have the waiter wrap up half my food right away then I focus on eating just the half that's in front of me at a reasonably slow pace, whereas before I would just shove food into my mouth until the plate was clean. I developed good habits like putting my fork down between bites and not drinking (much) while I'm eating (this is still a struggle for me). I also did what babykins said above and kept healthier Snacks around like fruit, veggies, fat free cheese, popcorn, etc. I'm a candy addict. Not chocolate, but chewy and/or sour candy like skittles, sour patch kids, starburst, jolly ranchers, etc. I found sugar free options to my favorites and I also bought these really tasty Calcium chews from Bariatric Advantage. My point is that those little things put together can change your life totally.

I never thought I could do it either, but I've made decent progress (in my opinion) and every time I've stepped on the scale since June, I've lost or maintained. You have to figure out what your issues with food are and break yourself free from the bad habits bit by bit. It's important to take the steps prior to getting the band because being shocked into something is a recipe for disaster for most (definitely for me).

Believe in yourself and lean on your fellow January bandsters for support. You've gotten to this point because, like us, you've tried everything else to no avail.

I am one month from Surgery January 10th. I am excited and nervous. I have actually gained 20 pounds since I was approved due to PCOS and going off of birthcontrol. It is okay though I am ready for my pre-op appointment next week. Does Mexico have different regulations? I know you said your scheduled for a surgery in Mexico? I am nervous for the recovery and I am a wine drinker so that should be interesting

I am a January Bandster too! January 16th is my surgery date. My doctor does not require a pre-op diet, just one last weight check on the 9th!! I am very excited! I am a little concerned with the recovery period though. My job knows about the surgery and I have saved enough sick time so that I will be getting normal paychecks instead of relying on disability insurance which I would be entitled to if I needed it.. I was told my last pre-op class that we can not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 4-6 weeks. I work in a home with developmentally disabled individuals of whom I have to lift on a daily basis. We have some things that help us lift but there are times when we lift 150-180lbs of 'dead weight.' Has anyone that has had surgery gone back to a job with heavy lifting and how did it go for you!? Best of luck o all of the 2013 Bandsters!! We can do it!!

January will be here before we know it. Getting very excited. Last year that I will try to hide from the camera at Christmas.

January 17 is my date! I have to get an EKG and some blood work done prior to my date, but that's it.

My surgeon doesn't require a pre-op liquid diet either. On one hand I'm glad because my birthday is a few days before surgery (who doesn't love a good meal and some cake on their birthday?!) but I worry that I will gain during a celebratory final goodbye to gluttony and alcohol, thereby making my liver a big hot mess for surgery :-/

Best of luck to all of us in "Band-uary 2013"!!!

Catlady what a great birthday present. I do have to do an all liquid clear diet. I am dreading that. But I was talking to my surgeon and he said they recommend no alcohol for 3 months however wine is like Water he said. It goes down easy. So I was thankful for that.

However, I am nervous I have my pre-op on monday I have gained 30 pounds since my six months even though I am still on a 1300 carlorie diet. I had to go off my meds so we will see yikes.

One of my biggest concerns is how to answer all the questions about my weight loss.

Kari,

My surgeon recommends two weeks off for those who have jobs just sitting and computer and 6 weeks for those who stand or have to lift. Does your work have medical leave or disibility options?

My work does offer disability insurance, I was just hoping not to use it. Last time I needed it (maternity leave - 7 years ago ) it only paid about 55% of normal pay. I have saved about 5 1/2 - 6 weeks of complete time paid off so I should be good. My doctor ( we see a doctor regularly, and the surgeon only once or twice before surgery) said 4 weeks off, but I am thinking I may need to describe my job in a little more detail for him!!! Even in an emergency- I cannot leave the premises of my job until another staff comes to relieve me- its the law. I am just nervous that if I go back too soon and something happens- I can't immediately get to a doctor. I am confident everything will go smoothly, I just need to be ready for the 'what-if's' :)

Kari,

Yea I would be going over those situations in my head too. I am sure they will tell you a good plan if you let them know. I am so nervous about everything at this point