Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Bandster A Dying Breed?

Okay I went to a support group meeting last night and I was the only one left with a Band out of about 40 women? Are less people getting the Band? Everyone was pretty well spilt among the ByPass and the Sleeve. Getting lonely out there!

cheri

Well there's a lot of us on here, perhaps your local surgeons are pushing the other WLS heavily? A lot are doing that now not because they're actually better, but because they make the more money with less aftercare effort on the other surgeries.

Agree with that. I went with 2 people who had Bands and revised one to Bypass one to Sleeve in the last month. But the Band has worked good for me, them not so much.

cheri

The gastric sleeve is the new thing, my surgeon does not do the band any longer, too many people with issues and failure to comply with the rules. Being banded takes work and some people are just not willing to put forth the effort. I still think it is and was the best option for me, it was steady slow weight loss and is just what I need to keep me honest.

I recently talked to a bariatric doctor who pushes the gastric bypass and I asked why they didn't promote the band as much. His answer was what lovethenewme posted. He said that most band complications occur when rules are not followed and follow-ups become fewer as time goes by. Bandsters will go in when they are in trouble and sometimes it's too late. In addition, insurance companies are not wanting to cover the band because of the higher rate of complications. I still have no regrets and I've had my share of complications. Follow-up is the key here. In my case my insurance company will no longer cover checkups and fills and I must self pay. It's tough, but, I get my band checked every 6-8 months. I sometimes have to do the layaway plan, but, whatever works. jake

The gastric sleeve is the new thing, my surgeon does not do the band any longer, too many people with issues and failure to comply with the rules. Being banded takes work and some people are just not willing to put forth the effort. I still think it is and was the best option for me, it was steady slow weight loss and is just what I need to keep me honest.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This was the best option for me, I wanted to take it off slow and therefore I am and it is working for me. Yes it's work but I'm learning how to eat properly like a normal person and I'm learning what to eat (healthy) like a normal person after all the abuse my body endured for 46 yrs. I do not want to become a statistic like my late father to heart disease.

Okay I went to a support group meeting last night and I was the only one left with a Band out of about 40 women? Are less people getting the Band? Everyone was pretty well spilt among the ByPass and the Sleeve. Getting lonely out there!

cheri

I am not banded yet but have been going to the groups. The by pass peopke look at me like I have 3 heads! And try to convert me but I wondered the same thing ad you

Oh to most Bypass or Sleeve people we (the Banded) are the lowest of people. I have been snubbed by quite a few in large groups. Not sure why they are so uptight lol

cheri

Honestly this band worked for me because I am such a quantity eater...slower but steady and more permanent loss. Can't change me at this point because my sister had bypass and that did not work for her so it goes both ways as she is considering band over bypass. It takes work on both procedures.

I chose the band because I didn't want my stomach cut or my intestines rerouted, and if there was a problem I could have it removed. Yes, there's lots of rules. But there's rules with each surgery, right? It's worked well for me.

I have seen and heard More and more about the gastric sleeve. For me, I don't want the gastric sleeve for gastric bypass and prefer the lap band because it seems like a less intrusive surgery... And I also like that you were able to control your hunger, your food intake, and the size of the band. I also like that it can be removed if necessary. The lap band is a lot less nerve-racking then the gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgeries... I am very excited that I might be getting this done!

My meetings are definitely much more full of sleeve and bypass patients. Just a few banders.

I love my band, everybody has a different reason for getting their surgery. I am also a quantity eater and this limits you or else you suffer the consequences like getting stuck or feeling so full I can't stand myself. The sleeve or bypass does not limit the amount of food from what I have read. I am 4 years out and do not ever plan on getting my band removed unless it is definitely causing any major problems. I still gain a few pounds over the holidays but get back to business after the first of the year. I love my popcorn and tend to go overboard on that for a while and then I am good for a few months. I believe the weight gain is the salt because we do not use salt at our dinner table or in cooking. This is a choice you need to make on your own and I really don't care if anybody else agrees or not with me. This band has saved my life and that is proof to me that this was the right choice. If something drastic changed and I had to have the band removed I don't know what drastic surgery I would choose. The sleeve and gastric are very risky operations and right now I would not be comfortable with either one if I had to choose. Good luck and enjoy your band and don't let people get you down because if it works for you that is all that matters.

I love my band' date=' everybody has a different reason for getting their surgery. I am also a quantity eater and this limits you or else you suffer the consequences like getting stuck or feeling so full I can't stand myself. The sleeve or bypass does not limit the amount of food from what I have read. I am 4 years out and do not ever plan on getting my band removed unless it is definitely causing any major problems. I still gain a few pounds over the holidays but get back to business after the first of the year. I love my popcorn and tend to go overboard on that for a while and then I am good for a few months. I believe the weight gain is the salt because we do not use salt at our dinner table or in cooking. This is a choice you need to make on your own and I really don't care if anybody else agrees or not with me. This band has saved my life and that is proof to me that this was the right choice. If something drastic changed and I had to have the band removed I don't know what drastic surgery I would choose. The sleeve and gastric are very risky operations and right now I would not be comfortable with either one if I had to choose. Good luck and enjoy your band and don't let people get you down because if it works for you that is all that matters.[/quote']

Loved your post. Thank you for sharing!