Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Lapband? Why Not The Sleeve?

I'm waiting on insurance approval for my lapband. I went to a different dr last week who wanted me to really think about the sleeve. I was pretty sold on the lapband, but now not totally sure. I'm curious why all of you picked the lapband over the sleeve?

simple, 2 reasons

one, my insurance did not cover it

two, because my insides would not be cut

that being said, i went in wanting the lap band and never diverted...sure they said to get the bypass but i did not want my insides rerouted or cut because once that happens, you cant undo it..

the band is work. its not an easy fix. you gotta help it by eating right and eating the allotted amounts. so if you help the band, you can and will be successful.

do what works for you as you are the one who is going to be living with it.

all the best :)

I started talking here, but as time has gone on Ive decided to get the sleeve. I THOUGHT Medicare covers it, but they dont. Looks like I will have to wait till April or so. Im actually afraid of the long term effects of the band. Sandy

I've been reading all of the posts on the sleeve forums too, and really thinking hard on which surgery is best for me.

I was originally banded in 2008 right after my insurance started covering it. The sleeve was still experimental. This summer my band was replaced due to a leak. My doc recommended changing to a sleeve and I was supportive, but insurance would would not cover a different type of weight loss surgery "one type per lifetime". Heck, I had to fight them for four months to even replace the defect. Originally they only agree to take out the defect.

I originally picked the band over bypass for the same reasons as most--reversible, to rerouting, etc. However, if I was starting new today, I would choose the sleeve over band because of the lack of follow-up fills, unfills, 40%+ failure or replacement rate over time. The sleeve is a compromise between the band and bypass and gets a weight loss rate close to the bypass.

yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards the sleeve. My insurance covers all kinds of bariatric surgery. But I truly love hearing everybody's viewpoints on the subject. A lot of people say they like the band because it's reversible. Why would you want to reverse it? Just curious...

Well my big day is dec 3. I am getting the plication, which is in the middle of the band and sleeve. I've been on these forums for awhile now and it's seems the any kind of wls will work if you work at it. So here goes

Nothing lol! But I'm always on here for support. Everyone is great here and we all share one goal- losing weight:) good luck with your choice:)

Bottom line- I am a big fraidy cat!

I didn't want bypass because of absorption issues while the idea of not aborbing calories is great the idea of not aborbing nutrients is not so great. Plus recovery is a lot longer.

The sleeve was interesting, but I didn't want to be cut. My grandmother had to have something similar done when she was in her 50's due to a bleeding ulcer and from that point until she passed away she had horrible stomach issues. I am sure it's not the same thing and medicine has come a long way since then, but I still didn't want to risk it.

My husband and I went to the seminar and after listening to the info on all WLS, I felt and he support me, that that going with the least dangerous was best. If I have problems with the band I can have it removed, if I don't then great.

In 4 months I have lost 43 lbs and feel great. My doctor says I am doing just as well as many of the sleeve and gastric patients who had surgery around the same time. I am happy with the results, I am glad I did it.

yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards the sleeve. My insurance covers all kinds of bariatric surgery. But I truly love hearing everybody's viewpoints on the subject. A lot of people say they like the band because it's reversible. Why would you want to reverse it? Just curious...

Its really not as reversible as touted. Once it is in there a while,it grows to be pretty ensconced. Removal is a big deal. A REALLY BIG DEAL with some, particularly if there are complications (and there always are) of any sort. Sandy

For me...I wanted the band and not the sleeve was I too didn't want to be cut and rerouted......also I needed the fastest recovey time....and I was off work for 3 weeks but I felt fine after 3 days....good luck with which either you pick...its still life changing

I didnt know about the sleeve 2 years ago but I would not have done anything where my insides were rerouted, moved or altered in any way. The band is completely removable. I felt a strong comfirt level with that.

I chose the band for a few reasons. First being that my goal was to lose 70 lbs. I didn't feel I needed to go as durastic as bypass or sleeve; I wanted to keep my organs intact. Second, I needed to take the least amount of time off work. I had the band placed and hernia repair on Friday, was back to work Monday.

I also am a control freak; I felt like with the band, I still had control over my weight loss. I know with bypass and sleeve, it still comes down to what you put in your mouth, but with the absorption issues and dumping syndrome that can come along with the more major surgeries, I felt that it would be partly out of my control.

My insurance covered all three procedures but I decided on the band from Day 1 and stuck with it. My surgeon loved the sleeve but he also agreed that for my goals, activity level, and determination, I could be very successful with the band.

Here I am, almost 6 months out, and I'm down over 55 lbs with only 15 more lbs to go until I hit my goal.

You can be successful with any WLS surgery, or you can fail at it. It all comes down to making the proper lifestyle changes and choices. Do what surgery feels most comfortable for you. They all have their risks and side effects.

there are virtually no dumping with the sleeve and its extremly rare, no malabsorb with the sleeve, no puking, no limit of size food to a point that one eats, or great restriction. Yer band is in there just as long as somone who started at 400 pounds. If you had to have it remove, and didnt want weight gain again you would still have to do a revision surgery. You still have the same odds of typical LB problems popping up as any of the others with more weight to lose. JMO, but I think you have subjected yourself to the same issues you didnt want t have, down the road. JMO, no offense intended. Sandy

My biggest reason, and my cardio doc asked me today... I am in the Middle East and am not 100% sure how many this doctor has done, or how many people he has killed while doing it. LOL.. just kidding... to a point. :)

I dont want my insides cut up, you dont know the future and what happens if you get sick and they need to remove that last part of your stomach... now you have a one way do not pass go from your mouth to your diapers.