Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Detoxing Off Sugar

Yes we are sweet enough until someone curses at us in a thread lmao

LMAO,No still sweet!

So, Lap Band Evangelist (and anyone else who cares to chime in), I get it that sugar is sugar and if I really want to detox I have to do it all, including all white stuff and fruit. But I don't want to do that. I truly feel that if I can just detox off of refined sugars ("the c's" as I call them: Cokes, candy, cake, cookies) -- plus a few other things with sugar -- that I'll be miles ahead of the game, so to speak. Actually, I have already gotten off the Cokes. I'm down to one DIET Coke a day and working towards getting off that in this next month. And speaking of DC, is it really true that I can never again have a carbonated beverage? I WILL be a rule follower once I'm banded. I'm just trying to get mentally prepared for the changes. And truthfully, I think I'm just trying to mourn the loss of some of my lifelong "friends". So...will detoxing off obvious sugars like sodas and candy be beneficial or will I continue to crave sugars? And, can I really never have carbonation again? TIA!

well most doctors will tell you no carbonation after sugery because it streteches the pouch. I have learned to love Water tremendously and drink it often about 5 16 ounce bottles a day. I still say sugar is sugar but when you finally are able to have the fruit again how good it taste. I suppose you could do it with just no c's but I think personally you will still want sugar. It's the other things that will cause you to have those cravings also. I have not had a soda in almost three years and I do not miss it one bit. I realize now that all those things were killing me. Diet soda is the worse for dieters lol believe it or not. Drink a soda one day and then none for about a week then drink a soda again and you will be up 2lbs. Seriously its not worth it to me.

So' date=' Lap Band Evangelist (and anyone else who cares to chime in), I get it that sugar is sugar and if I really want to detox I have to do it all, including all white stuff and fruit. But I don't want to do that. I truly feel that if I can just detox off of refined sugars ("the c's" as I call them: Cokes, candy, cake, cookies) -- plus a few other things with sugar -- that I'll be miles ahead of the game, so to speak. Actually, I have already gotten off the Cokes. I'm down to one DIET Coke a day and working towards getting off that in this next month. And speaking of DC, is it really true that I can never again have a carbonated beverage? I WILL be a rule follower once I'm banded. I'm just trying to get mentally prepared for the changes. And truthfully, I think I'm just trying to mourn the loss of some of my lifelong "friends". So...will detoxing off obvious sugars like sodas and candy be beneficial or will I continue to crave sugars? And, can I really never have carbonation again? TIA![/quote']

I think any cut back in sugar is a good thing. The other white stuff will most likely follow later.

My Dr & the Lap band manufacturers say no carbonation. I was addicted to Diet Mt Dew. I didn't drink coffee or tea, the Dew was my source of caffeine. That addiction was the easiest thing to break, cold turkey, no desire for any soda. After being off of it for a month, I can't believe how my whole body feels so much better.

My joints,bladder, muscles and like I said in previous post, my skin.

It's funny but after being banded, everything taste better.

Best of luck on your journey!

did ya ever notice a skinny person drinking diet pepsi. i havent. its always someone with some girth. think about it.

i think they put something in it thats counterproductive, besides the normal poison, lol!

Maddysgram (and anyone else), once you got off your caffeine of choice, what, if anything, do you now use for caffeine? Like you, I have never cared for coffee, although I'm sure I could get used to it. I just feel like I really need that little "kick" in the morning to get me going.

Maddysgram (and anyone else)' date=' once you got off your caffeine of choice, what, if anything, do you now use for caffeine? Like you, I have never cared for coffee, although I'm sure I could get used to it. I just feel like I really need that little "kick" in the morning to get me going.[/quote']

Don't do caffeine any more at all. I drink hot Chai Herbal tea every morning & evening.

I really like it. It's a cinnamon spice tea.

Taste like a treat!

Maddysgram (and anyone else), once you got off your caffeine of choice, what, if anything, do you now use for caffeine? Like you, I have never cared for coffee, although I'm sure I could get used to it. I just feel like I really need that little "kick" in the morning to get me going.

i drink one cup of reg coffee a day and every so often a ea from mcdonalds, half sweet and unsweet (it has caff)

but that is the only caff i take...i dont think its a big deal personally

Don't do caffeine any more at all. I drink hot Chai Herbal tea every morning & evening.

I really like it. It's a cinnamon spice tea.

Taste like a treat!

maddy where do you purchase this and any other flavors?

So, Lap Band Evangelist (and anyone else who cares to chime in), I get it that sugar is sugar and if I really want to detox I have to do it all, including all white stuff and fruit. But I don't want to do that. I truly feel that if I can just detox off of refined sugars ("the c's" as I call them: Cokes, candy, cake, cookies) -- plus a few other things with sugar -- that I'll be miles ahead of the game, so to speak. Actually, I have already gotten off the Cokes. I'm down to one DIET Coke a day and working towards getting off that in this next month. And speaking of DC, is it really true that I can never again have a carbonated beverage? I WILL be a rule follower once I'm banded. I'm just trying to get mentally prepared for the changes. And truthfully, I think I'm just trying to mourn the loss of some of my lifelong "friends". So...will detoxing off obvious sugars like sodas and candy be beneficial or will I continue to crave sugars? And, can I really never have carbonation again? TIA!

the sweet from (crystal light) cures my sugar craving..

dont mourn what you cant have.....praise what you will become :)

Sugar is poison! I don't consume any sugar or flour because they trigger me to eat more and I can't stop. I have ZERO cravings. I eat 1 serving of fruit a day at Breakfast, a sugary Cereal is not the same as the sugar found in fruit. I feel in control when I'm avoiding these two substances. My concentration and clarity improve as result of avoiding sugar.

I agree that you should cut all refined sugar. I still had an occasional fruit, not I by dried fruit with no added sugar, because I just don't eat enough of it to cut ip the whole fruit! No white bread, Pasta, etc. It too me four months to even go to a multigrain bread. I just didn't want it to take up precious space in my stomach.

I also cut out soda and iced tea. You will notice after a couple months you won't even like the taste of soda once you don't drink it anymore. Now I drink hot Decaf tea (occasionally) or SF hot chocolate. That is really the only caffeine I get now days. Don't miss it at all.

Like the others said, once you detox from the sugars, your skins amazing and you do have more energy!

maddy where do you purchase this and any other flavors?

Twinnings Tea at grocery store any yes they have other flavors.

Earl Grey also makes a Decaf and it is my favorite along with the Twinings English Breakfast tea!

Earl Grey also makes a Decaf and it is my favorite along with the Twinings English Breakfast tea!

Yes, those are excellent too!