Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok ... I hadn't told no one about my surgery .. Well last week my sister goes to pay our insurance into the office ... The girl that is taking her payment tell my sister... How is your sister doing I heard she got the lap-band done... My sister looks at her any said who told you that? She said oh you know everyone around here knows! I'm sad because I really don't know how they found out yesterday I went to my cousins birthday party n I saw some ppl pointing at me n then one of them came to me n asked if it was true ... I didn't know how to react so I just left the party these part is that most of them are family members.... Help why do I feel like I did something wrong?

Oh and another thing they kept asking how i was doing to lose weight .... I guess I'm not ready for all those questions n don't know how to respond I felt like a huge target yesterday :"(

Ok ... I hadn't told no one about my surgery .. Well last week my sister goes to pay our insurance into the office ... The girl that is taking her payment tell my sister... How is your sister doing I heard she got the lap-band done... My sister looks at her any said who told you that? She said oh you know everyone around here knows! I'm sad because I really don't know how they found out yesterday I went to my cousins birthday party n I saw some ppl pointing at me n then one of them came to me n asked if it was true ... I didn't know how to react so I just left the party these part is that most of them are family members.... Help why do I feel like I did something wrong?

I didn't tell anyone you did this for you don't feel bad just let them know it was a life choice and you had to find the right time to tell them. I hope you feel ok. Hun. And the loud mouth hater should get personal phone call so she won't ever do that to another person. Give me the number ill call. Lol I'm sorry u had to go through that.

Oh and another thing they kept asking how i was doing to lose weight .... I guess I'm not ready for all those questions n don't know how to respond I felt like a huge target yesterday :"(

I didn't tell people honestly thinking if I failed I would but will be great with our new tool. Then they will ask questions on how to get banded.

I didn't tell anyone you did this for you don't feel bad just let them know it was a life choice and you had to find the right time to tell them. I hope you feel ok. Hun. And the loud mouth hater should get personal phone call so she won't ever do that to another person. Give me the number ill call. Lol I'm sorry u had to go through that.

Thank you so much! I know I will feel better about it all ... Just didn't know what to say... Like I said I guess I wasn't ready for all the questioning like my husband said its a medical thing you shouldn't have to tell them if you reside not too! And yes I do have

Some haters out there the # 1 would be my husbands sister she's 300lbs and always been in competition with me she's the one that started everything

Two things. #1 - you are doing this for you, not anyone else. Don't listen to the haters. #2, the woman that was taking the insurance payment from your sister may have broken the law... It's HIPAA. I would report it immediately!

I smell a LAW SUIT!! As a Nurse can I tell you what a HIPPA violation your insurance company has commited. Your medical information is private and whomever had direct contact with the hospital records at the insurance company should be fired. Plus those discussing it should lose their jobs also. If I were you, I would have a nice long talk with the person in charge of the company and make it known the violations they committed. There is a reason for confidentialty and if you want the town and your family to know you would have told them. Not some unprofessional gossip queen at the insurance company. I can't begin to express the trouble they would be in if you reported the company.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Those asking about your weight you can either ignore them or say nothing special. Don't let them make you feel uncomfortable.

I so wish I could deal with that insurance company and their employees!

You're entitled to your privacy, and you did nothing wrong by choosing to not disclose your surgery to others.

However, the individuals who were talking about your confidential medical information among themselves, and then sharing it with others who you did not give your consent to disclose to violated your rights to confidentiality under the laws governing HIPPA.

I once had a nurse terminated at a former doctor's office for violating my rights under HIPPA. All medical professionals and those who work with your confidential medical information are required by law to follow the HIPPA guidelines. If they don't, they are at risk to pay significant fines for non-compliance. That's the law.

At the every least, I'd place that office on notice that they violated your HIPPA rights, and ask what they are going to do to fix their use and disclosure procedures. They do risk significant fines, and you can report them to your state governing body which oversees compliance by medical professionals with the laws, however the "burden of proof" rests with you, and it might be a difficult case to prove with hearsay and a lack of documentation.

As for your feelings of "did something wrong", don't feel that way. All you were doing was respecting your own wishes for privacy. There's nothing wrong with respecting your own feelings.

I didn't tell many folks either...I think just about 5 or 6 folks know. I had already lost weight...so, I knew the next question was going to be "why did you go and do that...you are already losing weight?"

Plus, my sister-n-law and my FIL both had it done... and I didn't want to look like a copy cat. I AM NOT! My FIL has gained most of his weight back...and my SIL is a fanatic about exercise. I am just me and want to live a balanced life...no extremes for me.

So, I can understand how you are feeling right now...I am praying for you...but if folks come up and ask about it...just tell them, your choice was to live healthier...and you are thinking this just might help you achieve that!

Smile and go on from there...shut down the conversation quick! It is none of their business...but if they keep on...just say I am happy with how things are going...and change the subject.

I hope this helps!

I work in the healthcare industry myself and HIPAA is a huge topic for us. I agree with the 2 earlier posts that your HIPAA rights were strongly violated. I know that won't undo what happened with your sister; however, I would urge you to report it. That is unacceptable and they need to be put on notice.

As for your sister and other relatives you can simply tell them your medical history is not open for discussion as it is your personal business. It sounds really caddy how it was handled at the party. You did this for YOU and it is YOUR business. Be proud of yourself and your success.

One of the things we have to do as banders is be strong, strong to make smart food choices, strong to follow the guidelines, strong to stay committed and make this a success. Use this as your opportunity to be strong with those around you as well and set your boundaries. You don't owe anyone an explanation. You can simply smile and say "thank you" if they ask about your weight loss or mention you have lost weight.

Good luck to you! Be strong!! :)

I really didn't want to tell ppl but my best friend desided to tell the rest of our friends then my mother told the gossipi queens of the family I was madd but now idc let them know I don't see them doing anything about thier weight problems and if they think less of me for having a lap band they jump in the river because u still have to wk hard to acheave your weight goals!

I to am in the healthcare field, and your rights were definitely violated! As the other bandsters have stated, "you are doing this for you, and no one else!" I too, would be very upset about being confronted like that. I hope you understand that it is out of jealousy about you taking this big step to get healthy...you showed how strong you are in making the first step (getting banded) and taking charge of your weight and health. For me, I have told no one in my family...only my husband knows. They will notice I have lost weight, but they will also notice I am eating smaller meals, getting exersize and drinking more Water...making healthy choices...

Hang in there, believe in you and remember you have support from all of us who stand with you in making this our new life!

Thanks everyone for all of y'all s replies :)

I'm going to talk to my insurance agent .... The good thing is we grew up to gather we know each others families .... Don't know if that's a good thing or bad .

The girl that told my sister is the manager of the insurance office which I also know from a long time ago ... If I didn't know them personally I would most def I would take legal action ... I'm not a bad person just want to be respected :)

Please tell me u mean car insurance company n not ur health insurance company bc if so that is a total breach of confidentiality...n I would report the worker.. sorry u had to go through that even more Reason to prove their ass wrong

Please tell me u mean car insurance company n not ur health insurance company bc if so that is a total breach of confidentiality...n I would report the worker.. sor go through that even more Reason to prove their ass wrong ry u had to