Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cupcakes And Lap Band?

Yes, I'm a pastry chef, cake designer, cupcake maker...I own a successfull cake business and I'm on day one of my pre-op liquid diet. I have no idea how I will ever make it through these 9 days...working in the bakery this morning, I quickly realized how bad my habits were. I kept grabbing, unconsciously for cookie dough, an extra piece of chocolate, a little lick of frosting and had to stop myself. Honestly, I don't know if I even did take a sample of anything, my unconscious eating habits have gotten that bad. I'm starving...I have a headache and I just want to stuff a turkey club, chips and a cupcake in my mouth. I certainly hope this gets better after surgery, and certainly hope its worth it, considering my love affair with food. Surgery is November 2nd 2012 and I'm feeling depressed about it, wondering if I've made the right decision. I know I need to push through, I'm just hoping I'm not the only one feeling this way? It's not like I can distance myself from food...it's my livelihood. I also hope that I will still have the drive to come up with new recipes. I found myself wanting to make something different today, and then telling myself who cares, you can't have it anyway, what's the point? Oh boy, I hope I can get past this! Or I'll be broke! LOL :) and hungry....

I think the first step is that you recognize your love affair with food. Understandably in your job you would need to taste, but try to be disciplined for the pre-op diet, then remember, it is not that we will never be able to eat again, or taste again. This procedure is a tool to help us recognize and limit our intake. You will just need to account for your test tasting!! Hang in there.... it is a struggle...I am on 3rd day of my preop diet, I am scheduled to be banded November 5th!!!!!! Good Luck!

I can imagine that may be a struggle; however, what are the repercussions of not having the procedure? Try to think back to the reasons you are doing this and not what you will be missing (unhealthy food) but all that you will be gaining - your health, confidence, a new lease on life, appearance, stamina, etc.... There is much more to be gained than losing the love affair w/ food. It has been much easier (I am 3 months post op) than I ever imagined. I haven't "dieted" in years because I couldn't even try to give up food. Since surgery, it has just come naturally to eat healthier and follow the rules. I have a small treat here and there and have found tasty ways to enjoy healthy food options.

Maybe in your "new life" you could find some healthy cupcake recipes and that could be your new "drive". I bet there are some lowfat cupcakes that people would really enjoy, still look induldging, and maybe even be big business for you! ;-)

I am not going to lie the pre-op diet is going to be hell, but it will be worth it. You are about to have surgery, you doctor and you want it to go well. The pre-op diet is to strink your liver which will make placing the band easier and saver. The only advice I can give you is DRINK!! If Water just doesn't cut it for you, try some flavor additives like crystal light or propel. I am hooked on peach mango green tea and it honestly does help curb my hunger. Instead of reaching for food I reach for Water.

Once you have a handle on your bad habits and curb them you will be suprised at how great you will feel about yourself. I have a friend who like you makes amazing cupcakes - flavor and decor. She has lost about 90 lbs. When she comes up with a new recipe she will bake a couple and cut one in half and taste it- then she knows if it's a keeper. Flavors she has made for a long time she doesn't worry about tasting because she knows how they are. Losing weight has also challenged her to make some sugar free options, and some low cal options made with veggies - so now she is helping others be able to have a cake and eat it to.

So don't look at this as the end of something, look at this as the begining of something. You can do it, I know you can!

I am not going to lie the pre-op diet is going to be hell, but it will be worth it. You are about to have surgery, you doctor and you want it to go well. The pre-op diet is to strink your liver which will make placing the band easier and saver. The only advice I can give you is DRINK!! If Water just doesn't cut it for you, try some flavor additives like crystal light or propel. I am hooked on peach mango green tea and it honestly does help curb my hunger. Instead of reaching for food I reach for Water.< /p>

Once you have a handle on your bad habits and curb them you will be suprised at how great you will feel about yourself. I have a friend who like you makes amazing cupcakes - flavor and decor. She has lost about 90 lbs. When she comes up with a new recipe she will bake a couple and cut one in half and taste it- then she knows if it's a keeper. Flavors she has made for a long time she doesn't worry about tasting because she knows how they are. Losing weight has also challenged her to make some sugar free options, and some low cal options made with veggies - so now she is helping others be able to have a cake and eat it to.

So don't look at this as the end of something, look at this as the begining of something. You can do it, I know you can!

Very well said! :)

Kim & New Dawn nailed it. Remember the big picture. This was only day 1, it will get easier each & every day. You want this, use that power to push through the ruff times.

You will rock this, believe in yourself,I do.

Ruff.. Dog on the brain.

Ruff.. Dog on the brain.

best be dobermans.....just saying.....

ASIO-dobermans.jpg

best be dobermans.....just saying.....

Bet jg could make you a doberman cake.....if your nice. Oh wait that's not possible.

Bet jg could make you a doberman cake.....if your nice. Oh wait that's not possible.

ouch.........that hurt

NOT

Kim & New Dawn nailed it. Remember the big picture. This was only day 1' date=' it will get easier each & every day. You want this, use that power to push through the ruff times.

You will rock this, believe in yourself,I do.[/quote']

Let me rephrase it.... It gets easier after 3-4 days. Those first few days I was feeling really depressed too. Now I am on day 10 and I actually don't feel that hungry since I haven't been eating the carbs! I have more energy and I have lost 8lbs! Not bad, me thinks! Hang in there.

I gotta say, for me, I am a carb addict and I have been working with a therapist who specializes in WLS patients. She told me to regard those type of foods as totally off limits because I can't just eat a little. It is like a gateway drug for me. Now I am sure that there are plenty of people satisfied with just a taste but I am not one of them. The carbs will drive your hunger more than anything else. Spikes your blood sugar------>body secretes insulin --------> sugar crashes---------> feel ravenously hungry. Avoid carbs------> no ravenous hunger!!!!! Good luck .... I didn't believe I could do the liquids but I am!!!

Thank you everyone :) I'm on day two...it's a bit easier, believe it or not, being at work all day. Yesterday I only worked for a couple hours and then I laid on my couch, depressed. Obviously, not the thing to do. LOL I'm busy at work, and even though I want those damn cupcakes, I'm too busy to think about how hungry I am. I am already sick of the shakes, mainly because I don't like icy drinks, so I think I just need to stop making them with crushed ice. I think I'm making myself drink too much of it. The low sodium broth is helping. I appreciate all of your support. :)

I'm seeing that alot of pre-op diets include some food...is it normal for me to be just on 4 shakes per day with only one yogurt? (with the addition of broth, crystal light, water) Entirely liquid? I'm starving and I'm getting massive headaches this afternoon. I've been drinking plenty...so it's not dehydration. Just wondering if anyone has any "recipes" or tips on how to get through this a little easier. It's sad when I'll give anything for a bowl of brussel sprouts or broccoli LOL and they're healthy!!!!

I'm seeing that alot of pre-op diets include some food...is it normal for me to be just on 4 shakes per day with only one yogurt? (with the addition of broth' date=' crystal light, water) Entirely liquid? I'm starving and I'm getting massive headaches this afternoon. I've been drinking plenty...so it's not dehydration. Just wondering if anyone has any "recipes" or tips on how to get through this a little easier. It's sad when I'll give anything for a bowl of brussel sprouts or broccoli LOL and they're healthy!!!![/quote']

My surgeon requires liquid only as well. If you don't like icy drinks, try unjury unflavored Protein mixed in crystal light/water or Vitamin Water zero, etc. Unjury also makes a yummy chicken Soup Protein that you mix with warm Water. Tastes like ramen noodle broth.

The headache is most likely you detoxing off carbs. I had it for a couple days too. It will pass but you can take some Tylenol or maybe a cup of coffee. Hang in there!