Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Everyone Have Surgery

I am being banded tomorr. Very nervous! I was just wondering, does everyone need to get plastic surgery? Is there instances where the skin won't sag

I am being banded tomorr. Very nervous! I was just wondering' date=' does everyone need to get plastic surgery? Is there instances where the skin won't sag[/quote']

Good question! I wanna know too! Lol

Im curious too lol. My aunt had bypass and still hasnt got rid of the saggy skin. So gross when she showed me! I been hoping with lapband to lose weight slower though.

From what I can read if you get enough hydration Protein and exercise you have a less chance of having the loose skin

It's all dependent on how long you've been fat, how much extra weight you start with, your age and skin elasticity, and genetics.

If it's someone in their 20's without less than a 100 pounds to lose, doing exercise to tone from the start, then they might be ok. If it's someone in their 40's with over a 100 to lose, chances are good there's going to be some sagging skin. Of course, nothing is set in stone and everyone is different.

All I know is that if you started fat enough and have been that way for a long time, the odds aren't in your favor.

missy is right

some who are larger and based on their skin, weight amount, height even, will have more skin

honestly, id rather have some saggy (if even gross) skin then be obese.

if you are able to get skin surgery, go for it :)

Rarely does everything tighten back up with lots of hard work or a little cosmetics. i would love to have my stomach skin tightened but I am not sure it is worth the cost. It really does not hang over my pants or interfer with any activity. I do not walk around in public half naked so the only one who knows I have a loose tummy is me and my hubby and compared to what I looked like fat, I look pretty dang good naked even with a little loose skin. But of course I am older and skin does not go back as well when you have been fat for as long as I was fat. But my arms and legs and have done nicely with exercise and I have a cute little butt. Probably more info than you wanted to know. :lol:

Not everyone needs plastic surgery it does depend on your age and your skin and how much weight you lose I have had my band for 7 years and I had my tummy done and I love it! It took me over 5 years to make the decision to have it done but I'm glad I did! Good luck with your surgery it will be the best decision you will make!

I was always told it depends on age the younger you are the better the chances are your skin won't sag. Well that wasn't true with me I'm 28 been banded for close to two years and resently had my first plastic surgery (mommy makeover) still need arms and legs. I think it depends on the person everyone is different.

I didnt "need" surgery, but I did have a Tummy Tuck because other surgeries created bad scarring and minor herniation that I wanted removed. I had a very flat tummy but the skin was about half a size too big - following the surgery I look pretty much the same dressed and it is a fair bit better in a bikini but I do have a huge scar now - but I got to do it as a "medical necessity" so I jumped at the opportunity. Without that I would never have bothered.

I am post menopausal and I didn't exercise much so I have hanging skin. I just spent a week on vacay in the caribbean and I would get out of the Water and my thighs resembled a sharpei dog..my boobs needed duct tape so they wouldnt sag below the suit and my belly button frowns

.. But... I wore a bikini...size 8 thank you very much and I looked wonderful in all my new clothes and I just have to decide if I want to take that drastic surgery step. Can I live without it? Absolutely. Do I want to not have bat wings and sharpei thighs.... It would be nice. So I am going to go for a consultation and get th info I need to make a rational decision.

I was told that I probably wouldnt need surgery because I was losing slowly...............I am 57 Well wrong..............I've got skin drooping everywhere. Especially my face. I have always tried to take care of my skin and my face. Well faat people dont wrinkle. If you are 20 years old you'll probably be good..hydration does make a difference and I have started on fish oil helps with inflamation (fat cell) also helps hair from thinning out. I am praying that my insurance is gonna help with all this. With another 35 lbs I'll need Bungy cords to hold all the saggy skin up!!! lol

I'm 24. I always had larger arms and have noticed as the weight comes off, the skin sags more. I also had stretch marks on the underside of my arms, so I know my skin is damaged.

I moisturize often, but am not sure if I will have lots of loose skin or not. Thighs, belly, even boobs look ok. If I did go in for a brachioplasty, I would also get a boob job due to issues I've had with my breasts before banding.

Hanging skin can be put in compression garments. I wear spanks. It hides everything very well lol

Rarely does everything tighten back up with lots of hard work or a little cosmetics. i would love to have my stomach skin tightened but I am not sure it is worth the cost. It really does not hang over my pants or interfer with any activity. I do not walk around in public half naked so the only one who knows I have a loose tummy is me and my hubby and compared to what I looked like fat, I look pretty dang good naked even with a little loose skin. But of course I am older and skin does not go back as well when you have been fat for as long as I was fat. But my arms and legs and have done nicely with exercise and I have a cute little butt. Probably more info than you wanted to know. :lol:

Hey Love.... and seeme... and others... lol

There are a lot of variables that you need too look at. I think losing slow is a good thing. I was a slow looser and i think that has a lot to do with how much sagging skin you end up with. Along with how much you exercise. And how big you are to start.

When i started i was at 223 and size 18-20... 5'2". my problems areas were never my arm size or leg size. Mine where my stomach and my breast. This is where i carried my weight. My breast is still my larges area. I started at a 44H and i'm still a 36FF. This past January i went for a consult with my plastic surgian. Even after losing 80lbs i still had and have large breast. I really really really wanted a breast reduction and still do, but i chose to do the Tummy Tuck first. I had a apron from the two c-sections and the weight. It was painful and painful to look at... Painful in the since that in the summer i got a terrible rash and working out. Plus i thought i didn't go through all i have work my ass off in the gym to be left still un happy with my body. So Feb 15 i had a tummy tuck and i could not be happier with the results. My only regret was not doing the breast reduction and lift at the same time. If i had know that it was that pain-less...i would have done both.

I asked my dr. for a inner thigh lift and arms.... he told me i was crazy that neither needed any work. He said he could tell i worked out and that i did a great job. So that validated to me that exercise is a HUGE part of having less sagging skin.