Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded With Children

I'm in the process of setting up my surgery date. I am wondering how long I will be down for after surgery, out of work, in pain, etc. I have two small children and know I won't be able to pick them up for awhile but how long?

i am 5 days post op...and i just started today,lifting some light things....like putting the dishes away,folding clothes....you dont want to be exerting yourself too soon,and risk popping your stiches!!!

When I was banded, I had a 3 1/2 yo and a 16 month old. Surgery was on Thursday and I was a stay at home mom. By Monday, I was back to every day life. I had to sit down on the couch in order to pick my little one up. It took a bit before I was completely back to normal, but with in a week I had little holding me back.

also,according to my instructions....no lifting over 10 lbs for the first month after surgery!!

I was banded in April and at the time my son was 3. I was told not to pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk for about 6 weeks after surgery. Immediately after surgery that was easy as my belly was beyond sore, but as I healed it became harder to not pick him up--especially when he was tired, cranky, or just in need of a hug. I showed him my belly and told him that it was very sore...he would climb on my lap and pat my belly and then lay against me so very gently...while asking..."does your belly hurt?". The post-op restriction doesn't last forever and before long you'll be back to holding/picking up your little ones. During this time take it easy and just relax. Your belly needs to heal. Good luck to you.

It was 2 weeks before I was allowed to lift more than 5 lbs. you are recovering from your body Being cut open... you have to give it item to heal. I would suggest having help for 2 weeks. You will be able to function after a few days but it will be difficult to lift them. You can improvise of course with sitting down hugs etc but if you have to lift on into a car seat or crib it might be pushing it.

I had surgery on oct 3rd and I was back to work on the 8th but I was still in some pain but not to bad , and I have a 3 year old but I'm still not picking anything up over 10lbs