Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extra Skin? Does Anyone Has Advice?

I'm very new at this and in the beginning of my lap band journey. Does anyone have any suggestion for skin routines pre or post op to help prevent the excess skin? I want to be fully prepared throughout this process and I'll be 25 years old during the surgery so anything I can do to help my skin out would be good. I kind of look at this as I'm taking the steps to prolong my insides I should take the steps to prolong the outside. Any tips or suggestions will be much appreciated! :)

Hey there! I'm also a newbie and awaiting surgery, praying that insurance accepts it! Fingers crossed! I have the same concern about the skin... I'm 26 and really not wanting saggy skin after all of this, I'm hoping being young and working out will help keep things good!

Hey there! I'm also a newbie and awaiting surgery, praying that insurance accepts it! Fingers crossed! I have the same concern about the skin... I'm 26 and really not wanting saggy skin after all of this, I'm hoping being young and working out will help keep things good!

I agree! I'm not married so the dating aspect of all this is a little on the scary side, but long run will be a huge positive. I've heard of lotions and body sugars but who knows. Working out is for sure a positive thing that I hope would help. Keep in touch! I've love to hear how your journey goes!! :)

i think it depends on how much weight you got to lose and also how elastic your skin is and your (age). i never thought that much of creams/lotions shrinking skin to me as i dont really buy into it. i would rather have some saggy skin on my badonkadonk then be obese and not being very mobile

I heard doing weights as you lose, helps a lot...but have not heard of lotions doing the trick.....if you do, keep me posted....

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have truly saggy excess skin, there is no lotion that is going to help whatsoever. I'm speaking from experience here because I have lots excess skin.

Carolinagirl is right, it all depends on how much you have to lose and how elastic your skin is. I started with over 200 pounds to lose and I'm 39 years old. Needless to say, I'm just screwed because I'm not young and I have tons to lose. However, I can honestly say that so far I'll take being 143 pounds lighter with excess skin over being grossly obese and miserable any day.

I use ItWorks wraps and defining gel. I haven't lost all the weight to have the already existing saggy skin, but I do feel like it is helping prevent it. It is hard to explain, but I feel like my stomach fat is more "firm" vs. the saggy skin that starts sagging on the sides when you lose weight.

I am sagging.... I have lost 208 lbs and I am 52 so time isnt on my side. Its not as bad as it I thought it might be but my belly button frowns, my upper arms droop, the girls are flat and my thighs and butt are pretty saggy.

On the bright side I am healthy and thin and look great in clothes and will still wear a bathing suit. And if the time comes that I feel the need I will explore medical assistence. :)

I'm with Mis73. No lotions or magic potions out there. Depends on 3 things: Your heridity, your age, and the amt you have to lose. I think it also matters how fast you lose it (if your skin doesn't have time to catch up with speedy weight loss - like from Gastric Bypass- then it'll sag big time). Your family history is also big time here. If you have family that lost a great amt of weight and had no saggy skin, that's good news.

The trainer I had at the gym the first yr after being banded told me that no amount of exercise would get rid of saggy skin. You can tone muscle but not skin.

Having lost 100 lbs, I have minimal saggy skin on my stomach. I got really lucky. While I'd luv to be able to afford a Tummy Tuck someday, there's only two people that ever see it - myself and my husband. And he thinks I'm beautiful. I'm sure he wouldn't mind it being a little tighter, but tummy tucks are over $8,000.00 so I don't see it happening anytime in the near future.

Good luck!

Marci

Thank you everyone for all the post! I'll just wait and see what happens. :)